PDA

View Full Version : iphone 4 - disappointment, dropping calls

maclab
24th August 2010, 08:49 PM
Hi,

Well, I got my iphone 4 today from Chermside, I get dropped calls all most every time after about 1min 30sec, very disappointed :o yes I am left handed too.

YouTube - Song A Day #561: The iPhone Antenna Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKIcaejkpD4&feature=PlayList&p=6FCC685B53CF30C9&index=0&playnext=1)
:o

not sure what to do, converting to right hand will take some effort, might have to put a sticky on my phone 'USE RIGHT HAND'

Seakip
24th August 2010, 09:21 PM
Drop calls due to poor signal or proximity issues?

HumanMedia
24th August 2010, 09:21 PM
Most importantly who is the telco you are with?
And are you in a country area?

I'm with Telstra and I can't drop a call or even drop a bar when wrapping both hands tightly around the iPhone 4...

Li_Eon
24th August 2010, 09:22 PM
That's odd. What service provider are you on? I'm on optus and have not gotten a single dropped call. The was once i called my friend (who was using his 3GS) and his phone dropped the call :P I use it on my left hand as well.

I do understand the antennagate issue is more profound in low signal areas. Also, are you using a case?

maclab
24th August 2010, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I'm with Vodafone and I'm in Brisbane, Redlands area. I don't have a case yet, the Apple store had none to sell. I think its due to poor signal, but I never dropped a call with my 3GS or 3G. I have noticed the signal in my area has been worse in the last 3 months. I can easily make it drop bars.

Considering I have not heard of anyone else in Australia having bad issues is the phone perhaps a dud or is that I just have very poor signal here, but then I have never dropped a call with my 3GS

alextrob
24th August 2010, 09:57 PM
I've had a few a lot of 'dropped calls' caused by my iPhone deciding it's not really that close to my face (despite being pressed up to my ear) and turning the screen back on, so my cheek can press the end call button.

It happens on about every 2nd or 3rd call I make and really really shits me. Thankfully I don't use my iPhone as a phone that much. iOS 4.1 had better fix it.

imacattack
24th August 2010, 09:58 PM
I don't get any dropped calls and I don't put the phone to my face ?

olfella
24th August 2010, 10:35 PM
Hi,

I'm with Vodafone and I'm in Brisbane, Redlands area. I don't have a case yet, the Apple store had none to sell. I think its due to poor signal, but I never dropped a call with my 3GS or 3G. I have noticed the signal in my area has been worse in the last 3 months. I can easily make it drop bars.

Considering I have not heard of anyone else in Australia having bad issues is the phone perhaps a dud or is that I just have very poor signal here, but then I have never dropped a call with my 3GS
Maybe a bad SIM. I had similar problems with my 3GS and a new (free) SIM fixed it.

Li_Eon
24th August 2010, 10:49 PM
Hi,

I think it might be due to the poor signal in your area + the iphone 4's antennagate issue. Try getting a bumper (you're entitled to a free one) and see if that helps. I have a friend who's on telstra which nearly always shows full bars and no matter how hard and awkward i try to hold his IP4, i can never drop a call or drop it below 4 bars of strength. Myself being on optus, there are certain areas in melbourne where there's poor signal and that's where i can easily replicate the antennagate issue. Its much much harder to do in strong signal areas.

wolfie
24th August 2010, 11:05 PM
For the life of me, no matterbwhere I've been with the iphone4 I can't make it lose complete reception, bar going in and out of tunnels, on the Telstra network, let alone getting a dropped call.

Maybe you were just unlucky in that instance.

jared79
24th August 2010, 11:15 PM
I get dropped calls, but no more than my iPhone 3G due to my bad area for Optus. It does however sound like you may have a dud. Take it back and get a replacement or try a new sim. I got my case from Apple yesterday and it does help. Its the Clear Incase one. Very happy with it.

axolotl
25th August 2010, 06:09 AM
I've had a few a lot of 'dropped calls' caused by my iPhone deciding it's not really that close to my face (despite being pressed up to my ear) and turning the screen back on, so my cheek can press the end call button.

It happens on about every 2nd or 3rd call I make and really really shits me. Thankfully I don't use my iPhone as a phone that much. iOS 4.1 had better fix it.This happened to me a few times with my 3g, only after installing iOS4. Maybe it is a software thing?? No such probs with the iP4 as of yet.

DIESELBOY
25th August 2010, 07:48 AM
I got 5 dropped calls yesterday. First time eversince I got my new iPhone 4. Am not sure the reason why I got dropped calls coz I got my bumper on my phone, the signal strength is excellent (I was at the Bribane Airport yesterday) and I know for sure am not left handed. I do even use hands-free speaker most of the time. So why is this happening? :confused1:

mrj
26th August 2010, 05:21 PM
On my second Iphone 4 the first one dropped many calls and I also had the proximty sensor issue, Apple sent me a replacement which has no proximity issues but is still dropping calls.
I have noticed that the 3 dropped calls today were calls to me don't know if that will continue to be the pattern.
I am with Optus and have a bumper and a good signal my 3g Iphone never had any issues so I guess its another call to Apple and maybe a new phone.

cheers,
John

MightyAtom
26th August 2010, 06:03 PM
I think its due to poor signal, but I never dropped a call with my 3GS or 3G. I have noticed the signal in my area has been worse in the last 3 months. I can easily make it drop bars.

When the call drops does it display Call Failed on screen? If not, it's not a signal loss issue.

maclab
26th August 2010, 06:57 PM
When the call drops does it display Call Failed on screen? If not, it's not a signal loss issue.

Hi,

Yes that's what I get 'call failed'

7crwolf
26th August 2010, 07:32 PM
I just wanted to chime in here. I work for a small business, and we have 3 iPhone 4's with Optus. We have 2 working near Newcastle and one in Perth. In our month with them, we've exchanged 2 direct with Apple and are continuing to have problems... It's really frustrating, because the phone has a lot of potential. All 3 of us (with 5 phones now) have experienced VERY frequent "Call Failed" instances, probably 20-30% of all calls end in it. It's making it very difficult to conduct a business.

We had some problems dropping calls with the 3GS handsets as well, but the 4's have been exponentially worse. I just figured it was an Optus thing. Whether it's Optus or Apple, I've had it. I have a hard time believing we have 3 bad SIM cards, but we'll see. Optus is sending us new SIMS, so fingers crossed, but I have my doubts. Between dropped calls, terrible battery life, and proximity sensors muting calls, I think we're all over the iPhone 4. Wait for the 5 is my advice.