PDA

View Full Version : New Tesltra plan - BYO iPHONE 4

Fitshaced
24th August 2010, 02:37 PM
I'm looking to move from Optus to Telstra to a $49 cap (work covers that amount and I'm not looking to pay any more.

Have my own iPhone 4 which is not locked.

Just wondering if there are any special incentive to sign up with Telstra when you are not buying an iPhone 4 from them? Their website is a bit grey on this.

DeKa
24th August 2010, 02:58 PM
Yes
BYO iPhone Welcome Credit Offer - Mobile Phones - Telstra (http://www.telstra.com.au/shop/personal/Mobile-iPhone-BYOiPhoneWelcomeCreditOffer?SMSESSION=NO)

fredd
24th August 2010, 05:58 PM
I got $300 plus $200 off my 24 month contract on moving fro Optus to Telstra.
This means it will only cost me $28.00 per month for a $49.00 nper month contract

Fitshaced
24th August 2010, 06:17 PM
I got $300 plus $200 off my 24 month contract on moving fro Optus to Telstra.
This means it will only cost me $28.00 per month for a $49.00 nper month contract
Was that byo?

Anthonyw
24th August 2010, 06:31 PM
Are u happy signing up for two years? If so get a new iPhone 4 for $300 at jb hifi. You'll get a gift card and then sell the new iPhone for $1000. You can keep your existing unlocked phone and use that. You'll be way better off than just getting the $300 welcome credit. It's just a bit of hassle.

Fitshaced
24th August 2010, 07:33 PM
Are u happy signing up for two years? If so get a new iPhone 4 for $300 at jb hifi. You'll get a gift card and then sell the new iPhone for $1000. You can keep your existing unlocked phone and use that. You'll be way better off than just getting the $300 welcome credit. It's just a bit of hassle.
Yeah but wont I have handset repayments then? Usually cheaper to get out of a contract early (should i need to) when you dont owe money for the handset.

Anthonyw
24th August 2010, 07:45 PM
Nah no handset repayments, the $299 up front is it.

HumanMedia
24th August 2010, 11:28 PM
Nah no handset repayments, the $299 up front is it.

But won't the iPhone 4 from JB be locked to Telstra? And thus not sale-able for $1000?

Fitshaced
25th August 2010, 07:11 AM
But won't the iPhone 4 from JB be locked to Telstra? And thus not sale-able for $1000?
Well I would think I would be able to get them to unlock it without even turning it on under a new contract. However, I've decided to go for a 12 month plan.

Thanks Anthony

fredd
25th August 2010, 07:35 AM
Yep it was with BYO plus a welcoming to Telstra which added up to a total discount of $500.
As I said before on a $49.00 per month contract it averages out at $28.00 month with the $500 discount.Good deal on 200m data and $400 worth of voice.

Added to this is that Telstra 's coverage and data rates are much much better.
I live in Beaumaris Victoria and even though it is only 20k from Melbourne central
Optus's service here is crap.I had to walk to a specific location in my house to be able to use my mobile.

It was a very easy decision to move to Telstra.

forno
25th August 2010, 07:58 AM
Yep it was with BYO plus a welcoming to Telstra which added up to a total discount of $500.
As I said before on a $49.00 per month contract it averages out at $28.00 month with the $500 discount.Good deal on 200m data and $400 worth of voice.

Added to this is that Telstra 's coverage and data rates are much much better.
I live in Beaumaris Victoria and even though it is only 20k from Melbourne central
Optus's service here is crap.I had to walk to a specific location in my house to be able to use my mobile.

It was a very easy decision to move to Telstra.

I thought Telstra were doubling their allowance until sept 30?

ciprol
25th August 2010, 10:31 AM
200Mb gets chewed up so quickly on the iPhone these days. :(

Fitshaced
25th August 2010, 10:36 AM
200Mb gets chewed up so quickly on the iPhone these days. :(
I only use about 100 - 150mb with Optus right now. Have WIFI at home. Think 200mb would suit me fine. Telstras excessive useage charges are pretty high though.

Comet
25th August 2010, 12:09 PM
I only use about 100 - 150mb with Optus right now. Have WIFI at home. Think 200mb would suit me fine. Telstras excessive useage charges are pretty high though.

Just remember that different carriers measure data usage differently so it's quite dangerous to assume that you'll be fine based on the usage over at optus. Unfortunately I find myself getting charged close to 2x the data usage that was shown when i was using the same iPhone on vodafone.

One of the things I suspect is that due to the nature of the NextG network it must start transmitting data a lot quicker than other networks so if any of your apps require data, it will use 3G instead of wifi for a while before wifi kicks in.

Fitshaced
25th August 2010, 12:39 PM
Just remember that different carriers measure data usage differently so it's quite dangerous to assume that you'll be fine based on the usage over at optus. Unfortunately I find myself getting charged close to 2x the data usage that was shown when i was using the same iPhone on vodafone.

One of the things I suspect is that due to the nature of the NextG network it must start transmitting data a lot quicker than other networks so if any of your apps require data, it will use 3G instead of wifi for a while before wifi kicks in.
Yep, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Got off the phone to Optus. They tell me there will be an $8 forwarding fee if i want to keep my number..... a number I ported over from Vodafone for free 2 years ago. Its only $8 but it's like saying 'we dont think we've got enough money from you so we'll milk you right to the end'.

Cant stand that. Do other telcos charge the same?

forno
25th August 2010, 12:46 PM

I was under the impression that it uses wifi in preference to 3G, irrespective of what actual speed is available on each