PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my iBook hard drive....

forgie
2nd October 2005, 05:03 AM
Hi there.
I want to upgrade the hard drive in my iBook to a 5400rpm 80GB one.... you can pick up a fujitsu for around $155 if you look on Staticice. Obviously it's possible to replace the drive myself, and I'm more then willing to undertake this process myself. The thing I'm not sure about is: is it possible to make a complete image of my entire hard disk, and put this onto my new hard disk? I will get an external enclosure as well, so I'll be able to mount the new drive before I swap them over.

Do I need to do anything more then a simple shell command to copy the entire directory structure, attributes and all, to copy my OSX installation? Or is there a utility I can use to do this?

Thanks

c3017474
2nd October 2005, 06:17 AM
Carbon Copy Cloner, just do a google search and there should be a link to sourceforge where you can download. Very simple and effective, I used it to clone my Mini's hard drive contents to an external drive and experienced no hiccups.

Hope that helps, Nick

forgie
2nd October 2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks heaps, c3017474 - looks like exactly what I'm after.

Mutters
3rd October 2005, 11:56 AM
Forgie
I have done this change over on my 14" 1Gig iBook, OSX 10.3.9. CCC is the go, for sure, although I had to try cloning about three times. The first couple of times, it would stall at approx 97% complete. It may have been a setting I was using, but it worked in the end. Just don't be put off if there are any hiccups.
I cloned to an external Firewire powered case housing a new 80Gig 5400rpm Travelstar, and booted the iBook from this drive for a couple of days, just to be sure the clone was A1. It was. Then I swapped drives, and now use the original 40Gig in the external case. Yes, it's a big job, but do-able.
The 40Gig was left untouched until I was certain the 80Gig was up to the task - a matter of a few days.
If you need any info on the swap, just ask.

Mutters