PDA

View Full Version : The iPhone Vibrator?

ausdan
24th August 2010, 12:13 PM
Hi,

I'm just curious. What type of mechanism makes the iPhone vibrate? I'm assuming it must be hardware. How does it work?

Balthazar
24th August 2010, 12:20 PM
There it is on the left: *edit* (and by left i mean his left, your right)

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/HG6odFl6tjxNW5Ca.medium

bennettnz
24th August 2010, 12:28 PM
And I thought this thread was going be a lot more exciting for a second there...

dotnet
24th August 2010, 12:31 PM
Hi,

I'm just curious. What type of mechanism makes the iPhone vibrate? I'm assuming it must be hardware. How does it work?

A motor rotates an out of balance weight, as pictured above.

Cheers
Steffen.

Rust
24th August 2010, 01:22 PM
And I thought this thread was going be a lot more exciting for a second there...

LOL same here....

cosmichobo
24th August 2010, 01:26 PM
Ahem...

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/55828-naughtinano-ipod-powered-vibrator-review.html

Phunky
25th August 2010, 07:51 PM
The iPhone vibrate function is so weak, sometimes it will be vibrating in silent mode in my back pocket, but I cant even feel it. Only later do I see theres a missed call
IMO the vibrate mechanism needs a serious upgrade

Diva_Jes
26th August 2010, 07:21 AM
The iPhone vibrate function is so weak, sometimes it will be vibrating in silent mode in my back pocket, but I cant even feel it. Only later do I see theres a missed call

+1
My phone is ALWAYS on silent (i send and recieve a lot of texts and Facebook notifications, and the incessant beeping and noise annoys the shit out of me) and i rarely feel the vibrate... even when its sitting on my desk at work 15 cms away from my arm...

JuggaloG
27th August 2010, 07:37 PM
+1
My phone is ALWAYS on silent (i send and recieve a lot of texts and Facebook notifications, and the incessant beeping and noise annoys the shit out of me) and i rarely feel the vibrate... even when its sitting on my desk at work 15 cms away from my arm...

make that +2 , sometimes i wont hear it vibrate so i have to leave it on loud n then people crack it at me :P either way i cant win :(

dotnet
27th August 2010, 11:18 PM
sometimes i wont hear it vibrate

You're not supposed to hear it vibrate but to feel it. That of course requires you to keep the phone close to your body, baggy pants are out.

The intense rattle some phones make while vibrating on a desk surface often annoys me more than a ringtone. If you want a soft audible signal just set it up that way. It's not either full blast tone or vibrate only. Also, pick tones that won't make you look like a douche.

Cheers
Steffen.

DeKa
28th August 2010, 06:43 AM

That just means your phone is faulty. I had my iPhone replaced because of it. It now vibrates properly... like any other phone I've owned.

SoniQx
29th August 2010, 12:16 PM
Anyone noticed there is more of a "rattle" to the vibrator in the iPhone 4 compared to the 3G and 3GS?

DeKa
29th August 2010, 02:17 PM
Anyone noticed there is more of a "rattle" to the vibrator in the iPhone 4 compared to the 3G and 3GS?

There was in my first one (then the vibrate function died). My second phone is perfect.