PDA

View Full Version : What, specifically gets restored from backup??

angusg
24th August 2010, 09:14 AM
Bit of curiosity more than anything. I know that media and applications themselves (only the app data) don't get restored, but what else?

The reason I'm asking is doing a hard reset and restoring from backup is part of the troubleshooting process, but if it's a software issue, won't restoring everything also restore the problematic data thus causing the problem to reoccur??

Vojtin
24th August 2010, 10:58 AM
restored is everything

Rust
24th August 2010, 12:47 PM
Yep, If you are doing a restore from backup, you get everything back (Settings, backgrounds, ringtones, apps, app data, etc).

MightyAtom
24th August 2010, 02:37 PM
restored is everything

Not true, it doesn't backup/restore music and playlists.

Fitshaced
24th August 2010, 02:45 PM
Not true, it doesn't backup/restore music and playlists.
I think the question was whether they get restored or not. And they do.

MightyAtom
24th August 2010, 02:53 PM
I think the question was whether they get restored or not. And they do.

But they don't. Sure you get Apps, settings, podcasts, ringtones, etc. But you do not get playlists and music restored.

Fitshaced
24th August 2010, 03:06 PM
But they don't. Sure you get Apps, settings, podcasts, ringtones, etc. But you do not get playlists and music restored.
Ok, when you restore you get back settings for the iphone IOS. Click sync after this and you get your apps, music, playlists, play count, pictures, videos etc.

DIESELBOY
25th August 2010, 07:51 AM

Mine is workin just fine. Everything has been restored. Even my playlists and music.

angusg
25th August 2010, 12:34 PM
Mine is workin just fine. Everything has been restored. Even my playlists and music.

Technically they don't get restored from the backup, media just gets resynched and reinstalled.

The question I was getting at is how does restoring work to solve problems? Wouldn't restoring everything also restore the settings that were causing issues in the first place?

alextrob
25th August 2010, 01:07 PM
The question I was getting at is how does restoring work to solve problems? Wouldn't restoring everything also restore the settings that were causing issues in the first place?

The idea behind a firmware restore and then restore from backup is that the underlying system stuff gets reset to normal. So any system problems that happen when things might have been corrupted somehow in the system files that never get touched by user settings are brought back to normal.

The user settings are restored back to the device afterwards and as long as it was a lower-level system problem that was fixed by restoring the firmware, everything works fine. Otherwise you need to restore and set up as a new phone.

andyrb
25th August 2010, 01:42 PM
I'm having a few problems with my 3GS at the moment, and have done a restore from backup. The problems still show, so I'm thinking of doing a restore and setting it up as a new phone.

Is there a way to keep the SMS messages that are already on the phone? I did read something a week or so ago, but it appears that it's necessary to JB the phone, which I've not done.