PDA

View Full Version : Seagate Momentus XT

glacierdave
23rd August 2010, 04:16 PM
I'm considering installing a Seagate Momentus XT in my MBP. This is a hybrid 7200rpm hard drive with integrated flash memory (4GB I believe) so can take on some of the attributes of an SSD.

Anyone done this yet?

The reviews I've seen tend to indicate it can achieve decent speed increases but also suggest that this is only achieved if you do a fresh install of OS X and then migrate data and re-install programs.

Thoughts?

pnau
23rd August 2010, 05:46 PM
I was also considering one of these drives until I read a bunch of recent user comments about the drive stalling and causing OS crashes - even with the updated firmware. As I believe it's one of the first hybrid drives I'm a little hesitant on this one now.

Also I don't think it's quite as quiet as I'd like - yeah I know that's par for the course with a 7200rpm drive and it's probably better than most - but hey I want it all (and I want it now) speed, low cost and silence. Guess I'll just wait for the next crop of SSDs, they're meant to be cheaper...

From what I've read I didn't think you had to do a clean install as it caches what you use most frequently, and that's where you'll see the most gains.

glacierdave
23rd August 2010, 07:13 PM
I've just had on arrive in stock in my shop so I might just bite the bullet and do a test install on my MBP and see how it compares. It probably won't happen for another week or two though as I'll have to wait until I've got the time - if I'm doing it, I'll time things out in it's current form to do comparisons once I'm done etc. Then add a chunk of a day to do a from-scratch build and I just don't have that time right now.

If I do it, it'll end up as a MacTalk article assuming decryption is interested...

mjankor
23rd August 2010, 07:21 PM
Mine works fine here. A slight vibration compared to the old 5400 drive but it's a fair bit faster.

kungfucamel
23rd August 2010, 07:35 PM
mine works fine - i notice the apps that i use regularly start up very quick (1 or 2 bounces on the dock at most). everything else behaves like a normal 7200rpm. i previously had a 7200rpm in my MBP so haven't really noticed the noise. There is a video that I put up in my mini-review that shows you the difference in start up times for the XT.. http://forums.mactalk.com.au/18/88345-seagate-momentus-xt-hybrid-drive-review.html

fuller
23rd August 2010, 07:57 PM
Also been looking into this drive, and purchasing a MBP. Would be mostly used at work in the office/going to and from work on the train, so any extra noise it makes does not bother me if i get performance boots.

pnau
23rd August 2010, 07:57 PM
Nice review, well worth a look. Also some interesting comments about spin down issues -on other drives.

sobie2000
13th December 2010, 07:51 AM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Momentus XT firmware version SD24 h... - Seagate Community Forums (http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Momentus-XT-Momentus-and/ANNOUNCEMENT-Momentus-XT-firmware-version-SD24-has-been-released/td-p/76858)

Firmware just released addressing the spin down issues.

I have installed it and will see over the coming days if makes a difference. My current (2nd) 500Gb momentus XT in my MBP has been fine when on mains power but gets spin downs and beachballing on battery power especially when web pages with flash are loaded, but not if there is no flash running. Will see if over coming days this update makes a difference.