PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G S worth upgrading to iPhone 4??

angusg
23rd August 2010, 01:21 PM
Since iOS4 and the release of the iPhone 4 my 3G S seems to have just given up.

Did anyone upgrade from a 3G S at all?? And was it worth it?? I'm a bit annoyed that it's gonna cost me to do so, and my phone's pretty useless otherwise..

Big things are has anyone noticed much of a reception difference on Vodafone??

And anyone noticed much of an obvious performance increase?? I already know the answer to this.

I've tried doing a full restore too. I didn't have much luck...

StoneWolf
23rd August 2010, 02:44 PM
I upgraded from a 3G S to an iPhone 4 and can easily say the gap between a 3G and a 3G S if far greater than the gap between 3G S and 4.

It is mildly faster and you get a little more tech built in. The screen truly is amazing - particularly looking back at a 3G S after using the 4 for a couple of weeks.

The way I see it; if you are going to stick with the iPhone platform then the iPhone 4 is a logical choice and will theoretically last longer. I'm assuming your current 3G S is over 12 months old otherwise a quick trip to the Apple store should sort your out as it's likely still covered under warranty assuming you haven't tripped the moisture sensors.

I haven't had ANY issue with the reception but must admit I'm on the Telstra network.

It is a nice upgrade but definitely not a necessary one at this stage in the iPhone 3G S life cycle.

Mael
23rd August 2010, 02:46 PM
I'm running 4.0.2 on my 3GS and have had no trouble at all with the OS. Some applications were troublesome until they were updated by their respective developers.

I can't say I have seen any real increase in performance and the multitasking has only proven itself useful with my navigon software, so all in all it's been a reasonably uneventful transition.

angusg
23rd August 2010, 02:51 PM
I upgraded from a 3G S to an iPhone 4 and can easily say the gap between a 3G and a 3G S if far greater than the gap between 3G S and 4.

It is mildly faster and you get a little more tech built in. The screen truly is amazing - particularly looking back at a 3G S after using the 4 for a couple of weeks.

The way I see it; if you are going to stick with the iPhone platform then the iPhone 4 is a logical choice and will theoretically last longer. I'm assuming your current 3G S is over 12 months old otherwise a quick trip to the Apple store should sort your out as it's likely still covered under warranty assuming you haven't tripped the moisture sensors.

I haven't had ANY issue with the reception but must admit I'm on the Telstra network.

It is a nice upgrade but definitely not a necessary one at this stage in the iPhone 3G S life cycle.

Hrmmmm. If I make a genius appointment they'll swap it over if I'm having probs?

It is over 12 months, but I do have extended AppleCare, so could be worth a try. I've definitely seen a noticable performance decrease since updating to iOS4.

Really quite frustrating. I'd consider going down the BlackBerry or Android route if I didn't love the media player and iTunes integration so much

TJA77
23rd August 2010, 03:15 PM
Ive had my iPhone 4 for about 2 weeks now and Im on Voda in the Sydney Metro area and southern Sydney suburbs. I have noticed better reception compared to the 3GS but still not perfect. Still get the occasional network dropout especially when in the car and swapping towers on the move.

I put this down to the network and not the phone. The so called "death grip" isnt an issue for me. Ive held the phone in all sorts of ways and cant get the phone to drop signal.

The screen is insanely clear and even the voice clarity through the speaker is 100% better than the 3GS. There is a speed improvement, although being with Voda, browsing the net whilst on 3G is terribly slow. Pages take a long time to load (again a voda issue) as no one else I know on other networks are having the problem.

Besides these couple of network issues, Im totally happy with the phone itself. It feels great and is very well built. Im glad I upgraded

The_Hawk
23rd August 2010, 03:38 PM
Did anyone upgrade from a 3G S at all??

I would suggest that would be a very large of people, myself included.

Is there a huge difference? No, it really is more of the same with incremental improvements.

The display is nothing short of amazing, otherwise the camera is a nice improvement and the speed increase is nice, but really unless your planning to use facetime or lots of better quality picutres from your phone, there isn't really a lot to compel you to purchase one.

Me... I'm a gadget whore. I bought the 3G, the 3GS and the iPhone4... I know I will buy the next one too :P

StoneWolf
23rd August 2010, 03:57 PM
but I do have extended AppleCare,

Yeah, that is exactly why you have AppleCare, they'll likely switch it over on the spot. My wife's phone died (due to a firmware fault) and they switched it over after about 25 minutes of problem solving. It was within 12 months but if you have AppleCare then it's covered.

Carmen
23rd August 2010, 05:07 PM
I upgraded to the 4 from the 3GS and although the 4 is very nice, its really not all that different (camera and screen thats kinda it).
I would try getting your 3GS fixed before trying to upgrade its not really all that worth if from the 3GS.
and to be perfectly honest i actually like the shape of the 3GS better, but thats just me!

Im on Optus so my reception may be different to yours, but the 'death grip' is a non issue for me also, i cant make it work no matter what, but in saying that i havent been anywhere outside of my main town area.
and its werid but inside any buildings i only get 1 bar? walk out side and it goes up to full bars? strange but it certainly hasnt lost service or dropped calls.

johnq
25th August 2010, 03:10 PM
I upgraded from a 2G, to a 3GS and now to a 4. (I sold my 3GS on eBay for $600 so upgrading was a no brainer).

It's a little faster, a lot clearer, a little clearer voice, much better camera, much better video, flash (of the camera type), and quite a lot better battery.

In my view the plan should be - fix the 3GS, sell it for a reasonable amount, and upgrade.

angusg
23rd October 2010, 12:14 PM
Ended up upgrading, no regrets whatsoever :thumb:

Reubania
23rd October 2010, 12:26 PM
I am glad you did. I've always upgraded my iPhones when they are released here on launch days and never regretted forking up the $$$ to re-contract my plan or buy it outright.

The retina display and new (flawed) design was the reason to trade up my perfectly good 3GS to the 4. And that is why I am holding back on purchasing the iPad. Once Apple replaces the iPad with a retina display, I'll be lining up. The screen is absolutely gorgeous!

angusg
23rd October 2010, 01:05 PM
I don't think they will update the display on the next gen iPad to retina, I reckon the the third gen'll have it, and the second gen'll be a minor update (I'm holding out on buying one just like you though.. And I hope I'm wrong..)

Reubania
23rd October 2010, 01:25 PM
I don't think they will update the display on the next gen iPad to retina, I reckon the the third gen'll have it, and the second gen'll be a minor update (I'm holding out on buying one just like you though.. And I hope I'm wrong..)

I am honestly hoping you are wrong...I cannot hold out not purchasing a new shiny Apple toy!

angusg
23rd October 2010, 01:51 PM
I am honestly hoping you are wrong...I cannot hold out not purchasing a new shiny Apple toy!

I hope I'm wrong too, I'll be getting one either way, but I don't think it'll happen

PBIR
24th October 2010, 12:46 PM
My experience is pretty similar to everyone elses. Having originally started with a 2G, then a 3G, then 3GS then using an iPhone 4.

For me the biggest difference was between the 3G and 3GS. Due to the major increase in speed, ability to take video, the fact that the volume controls on the microphone actually work on the 3GS!

If you've still got your broken iPhone 3GS it might be worth putting it on eBay, they still sell for quite a bit because you can just take it to Apple and for about $250 they will replace it with a refurbished one.

angusg
24th October 2010, 01:30 PM
ah the 3G S was my first iPhone, I reckon a 3G wouldn't frustrated the hell out of me with little things like buttons not working on the newer 3G S headphone remote and lack of voice dialing

I sold 3G S to a lady at work for $150. I know I could've gotten more for it but I'm happy enough knowing she got a good deal and she'll get good use out of it

Reubania
24th October 2010, 02:00 PM
ah the 3G S was my first iPhone, I reckon a 3G wouldn't frustrated the hell out of me with little things like buttons not working on the newer 3G S headphone remote and lack of voice dialing

I sold 3G S to a lady at work for $150. I know I could've gotten more for it but I'm happy enough knowing she got a good deal and she'll get good use out of it

But mate, when the 3G was released, there was no such thing as voice dialling or a faster processor. I got the 3G because it was the first release of the iPhone here in Australia and the new design and "G" made me ditch my old Samsung for my first smartphone.

The same goes with the 3GS. Though the design was similar, the faster processor in the device and video recording made me switch my 1yr old 3G for the 3GS. I remember showing my non-Apple loving gf what she thought of my new iPhone, and though she said it looked like my old one, after a quick play with it, she noticed what a change in speed! It really was noticeable.

Now with the iPhone 4, the new design, iOS and retina display was the pushing point to trade up my 1yr old 3GS for the 4.

And that is the beauty of Apple - they create new desirable features that on paper, does not warrant an upgrade, but to the user, is THE selling point to upgrade - no matter what.

angusg
24th October 2010, 02:09 PM
I know that :) but at the time when the 3G was released I had a Nokia N95 with voice dialing, 5MP camera with video recording and a remote for the music player, so on paper it would've been a step back for me. My gf's the same with my iPhone 4, getting phone envy with her 3G S

Reubania
24th October 2010, 02:22 PM
I know that :) but at the time when the 3G was released I had a Nokia N95 with voice dialing, 5MP camera with video recording and a remote for the music player, so on paper it would've been a step back for me. My gf's the same with my iPhone 4, getting phone envy with her 3G S

He he. I see your point. I guess for me, I've never had a fancy mobile phone. I think I've only used the camera and that's about it. Never surfed the web, because it was the crappy connection and old school "browsers" back then.

LOL. iPhone 4 envy :p