PDA

View Full Version : Error message when trying to open Mail application

MacDennis
23rd August 2010, 03:19 AM
I am receiving an error message when I try to open Mail. It reads

"Mail can’t open because you don’t have the necessary permissions to change the folder where it saves information.
Mail stores information in Macintosh HD:Users:Me:Library:Mail. If this folder is on your computer, use the Get Info panel in the Finder to change your permissions for this folder to “Read & Write.” If this folder is located on a network server, contact the server administrator. After your permissions are changed, open Mail again."

I went to the folder and my permissions were already set correctly.
I have read that this may be a Time Capsule/Machine issue.

Please advise!
Thank you!

ClockWork
23rd August 2010, 05:48 AM
Make sure Mail has been Quit out of.
Then open your Macintosh HD icon -> open the Users folder -> open yourhomefolder (the one that looks like a cottage) -> open the Library folder -> open the Preferences folder - and locate: com.apple.mail.plist
and then Trash it.

Close all open folders and activate Mail again.

Doing this will require mail account information to be reentered, yet all previous messages and mailbox setups will remain and be visible again after the account information has been supplied.

MacDennis
23rd August 2010, 09:47 AM
I did all the above and it didn't work. Any other ideas?

alextrob
23rd August 2010, 11:49 AM
Open up Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility, select your hard drive from the list on the left and click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Not sure if that will fix your problem, but it can't hurt and that often fixes weird problems and slow-downs on a Mac.

ClockWork
23rd August 2010, 05:05 PM
I doubt repairing disk permissions from the OS X installer will do a thing.

Dennis - assuming you have everything backed up via Time Machine, open Macintosh HD -> open Users folder -> open Library folder and in the Library folder, locate and Trash the Mail folder, and Empty Trash.

With the Library folder still open, activate Time Machine and Restore a Mail folder back from "whenever" you recalled it was functional - straight into the Library folder.

This action may, in itself, produce a Permissions error message regarding modification of files, yet once you OK this and get out of Time Machine, and activate Mail once again, it should be functional.

MissionMan
24th August 2010, 03:41 PM
What about a disk repair in single user mode? I've had this solve some problems I couldn't resolve from OSX itself.

davidcolville
25th August 2010, 05:41 AM
Can you please find that file that it's complaining about, highlight the file and choose "Get Info" from the File Menu - and let us know what the permissions are.