PDA

View Full Version : Installing Panther

Secoa
27th January 2004, 06:02 AM
Over the weekend I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Panther. As I was using Jaguar I selected the upgrade option. The chap at nextbyte also recommended me to do this.

As I was installing my screen went black. I had to reboot from the installation disk (ie disk 1). After logging in from disk 1 (which was so sloooooow) it asked me whether I wanted to continue with the installation. I said yes but I am not sure if it has installed correctly.

To reboot the iMac it takes nearly twice as long than it did before (10.3 v 10.2). While some aspects seem quicker but others are decidedly slower.

Some other strange things are occurring for example when I select help for expose is responds that no such information is available. Some other help links lead to me to something all together.

My question is do I reinstall Panther and if so how??

decryption
27th January 2004, 08:11 AM
First of all, the chap at Next Byte was screwing ya. (grr, Next Byte, fools)
Lots of problems have occured with the upgrade install of Panther, it's best to do a full clean install.
All you do is boot up off the CD by holding down C (I think) while the Mac is booting. Then in the installation dialog, when it asks you to install to a hard drive choose the option to wipe the entire hard drive and install it on the drive.
I bought a PowerMac that had Panther installed like that, and it was freezing randomly and taking a while to boot. I've installed 10.2 and things are fine. I'm just waiting for my copy of 10.3 and then I'll do a clean install of that.

thebag
27th January 2004, 08:12 PM
Can I ask what model iMac, I have a 600Mhz Blue Dog and am contemplating upgrading to Panther from 9.2.2 and am after all the info I can get.

Mostly interested in whether it will run sufficiently on this machine(Web Browsing, Email etc).

I was thiinking of doing a clean install and having the iMac for OSX and using my G3 upgraded 7600 for running 9.2.2.

regards Mark

the_argon
27th January 2004, 09:20 PM
I have 10.3 running on an iMac DV SE (450Mhz, 256MB RAM) It's smooth as... um... something very smooth. Seriously everthing runs well, safari, mail, itunes etc. I'd definately reccommend a clean install over an archive & upgrade tho. Makes a hell of a difference.

Secoa
28th January 2004, 06:56 PM
Can I ask what model iMac, I have a 600Mhz Blue Dog and am contemplating upgrading to Panther from 9.2.2 and am after all the info I can get.

I'm using a 17 inch flatscreen, 1 ghz, 256meg Ram.

BTW I ran repair permissions and the unusal help function now works. It is difficult to judge whethr performance has been improved

If I do perform the clean install what happens with my preferences, files etc. I obviously do not want to lose these.

mbd
28th January 2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by thebag@Jan 27 2004, 08:12 PM

Mostly interested in whether it will run sufficiently on this machine(Web Browsing, Email etc).
Hi,

Panther seems to run better on older hardware than any other version of 10.x. A friend is actually using it on a 266mhz iMac and it works pretty much as well as OS 9 does. (He's upped the ram though, which is something you'll want to do as well if you're looking at upgrading to OS X).

Damian
29th January 2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by RocketFactory@Jan 28 2004, 09:09 PM
Hi,

Panther seems to run better on older hardware than any other version of 10.x. A friend is actually using it on a 266mhz iMac and it works pretty much as well as OS 9 does. (He's upped the ram though, which is something you'll want to do as well if you're looking at upgrading to OS X).
I upgraded my iMac 500 when from Jaguar to Panther first came out - certainly feels more responsive than Jaguar. No problems at all and updates have all applied cleanly.

Two caveats:

I have 768mb RAM - RAM does help a lot

I run maintenance regularly - check/fix file permissions with the disk utility and I run MacJanitor regularly (freeware that runs all Unix maintenance scripts like cleaning up logs etc)

Same experience with a G4 450 DP - no hassles at all. Peripherals such as SCSI slide scanner, usb scanner, firewire drive, iPod, printer, usb camera all continue to work fine.

Damian

decryption
29th January 2004, 10:01 AM
On my G5, Jaguar runs without a hitch, but Pather crashes randomly for no particular reason (no logs, nothing).

Gothikon
2nd February 2004, 09:25 PM
Archive and install is the way to go, upgrade is dodgy, format and install is over kill (just because it's good for windows means nothing on the Mac)

Archive and install renames and moves your old system folder before installing a completely fresh clutter free one. It then imports all your old settings. If something goes wrong you can restore the orignal system folder.

Panther is way faster than any older versions of OS X on ANY machine, there are a few B/W G3 450's at work and Panther made a massive difference.

I have had zero problems since upgrading to panther, not that I had any with Jaguar.

Also the only Kernal Panics I have ever had were due to dodogy RAM, it took me a long time to track it down but in my case it turned out that the original 256MB stick of Apple RAM that came with my Cube worked fine on it's own but would play up when I installed any other RAM, from Apple or otherwise, bizzare, however I got rid of the Apple RAM and until recently had 3 completely different branded sticks of RAM without a single problem.

Of course if you have a borked install that is likely to cause crashes, if you don't have your original settings you're probably as well going for a format and install, otherwise archive and install all the way.

Should mention - G5's have had a few problems, different versions of the OS handle temperature and fan control differently, make sure you have all the latest update.

The one bad thing about panther is the network browser, it was bad in 10.2 but worked most of the time but the one in panther may as well not be there. At least typing in IP addresses works! Also the easiest way to network a Mac and PC is to give your mac a name in the sharing control panel, cube.local etc and use this to connect to the Mac from windows, works every time. Once you're connected there aren't any problems.

decryption
2nd February 2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Gothikon@Feb 2 2004, 10:25 PM
Should mention - G5's have had a few problems, different versions of the OS handle temperature and fan control differently, make sure you have all the latest update.
Got any more info on that mate?
Could be what's happening to me on my G5....

elvis
4th February 2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by thebag@Jan 27 2004, 08:12 PM

I was thiinking of doing a clean install and having the iMac for OSX and using my G3 upgraded 7600 for running 9.2.2.

regards Mark
I'm typing this from an iMac 333 (G3) with 256MB RAM running OSX 10.3. It runs fine for your basic email, web, document creation, itunes, etc. I loath OS9 and below with a passion, and would whole-heartedly recommend ANYONE on 9 or below upgrade.

RAM is the big factor for 10.3. I couldn't install 10.2 nor 10.3 with 64MB. 128 installed, but was very slow. Get as much RAM into your mac as physically/financially possible before going for the new OS.