PDA

View Full Version : getting my macbook serviced

Granny Mac
22nd August 2010, 04:49 PM
I have a 3+ yo macbook (white, 2.4). It's working fine but I'm wondering if their is any value in getting it cleaned out, because I know how much dirt accumulates inside.
Would Apple do this and what do you think it would cost. Is it worth it.

melbmac
22nd August 2010, 04:55 PM
Unless it's being used in a particularly dirty environment, I wouldn't bother...

I'm sure if you ring your local apple store they'll be able to give you a quote on such a service....

Granny Mac
23rd August 2010, 10:01 AM
Not dirty, just dusty.
Thanks for the advice. It needs to last as long as possible so I just want to make sure I look after it.

glacierdave
23rd August 2010, 11:07 AM
It's impossible for anyone to know if your MacBook needs a clean without seeing it.

Even then, it may not be possible to know for sure without "cracking the lid" and having a look.

In some ways, a computer is like a car - sure, you can drive it (potentially) for years without doing any service work - but that may result in it needing some pretty expensive repairs at some point.

I've never asked Apple (Genius Bar) if they'd do this but I suspect they would. You could also find an Authorised Repairer who would do the work and may have shorter wait times and lower pricing.