PDA

View Full Version : 2 versions of Applications folder?

PCKid
22nd August 2010, 03:57 PM
Just recently I've noticed that when I install an app it doesn't update both version of the Applications Folder. I've just done a compare of the User folder versus the folder under Macintosh HD. Generally the ones in HD are fine but the copy in the User folder are corrupt.

Also if I get an app that opens it's own window with an arrow to drag the app to the apps folder it only goes in the Macintosh HD folder. Whereas if I drag it down to the app folder in the dock it only goes in the User app folder. What is going on?

disposedtrolley
22nd August 2010, 06:39 PM
I've got the same going on:

home/applications
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5264/screenshot20100822at630.png

macintoshhd/applications
http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/6801/screenshot20100822at634.png

I reckon the apps in the Home folder are only installed for this particular user, while the apps under Macintosh HD are available to all users, but Team Fortress 2 is missing from home/appilcations, and it went through the same install method as the other Steam games.

sirstaunch
22nd August 2010, 07:01 PM
My HD Application Folder is empty and all the apps are in the users App Folder and shared in all the accounts on the Mac, so different again....

disposedtrolley
22nd August 2010, 07:12 PM
Hmm I might have an idea regarding my situation.
Since the only icons contained in the home/applications folder are games bought on Steam, I'm thinking that's the location where Steam creates the game shortcuts if you select the option to do so during installation.

glacierdave
23rd August 2010, 08:19 AM
There's two separate Applications folders.

The one in your user folder installs the applications just for your use - another user on your computer won't (necessarily) have access to those applications. The other is a global applications folder and all users will have access.

If you want to be sure an application is available to all users then you have to make sure you install it in the global applications folder. Different applications will do this in different ways.

If there's only one user on your computer then it probably doesn't matter much which folder something gets installed into.

disposedtrolley
23rd August 2010, 08:21 AM
Ah thanks for clearing that up.

PCKid
23rd August 2010, 10:07 AM
There's two separate Applications folders.

The one in your user folder installs the applications just for your use - another user on your computer won't (necessarily) have access to those applications. The other is a global applications folder and all users will have access.

If you want to be sure an application is available to all users then you have to make sure you install it in the global applications folder. Different applications will do this in different ways.

If there's only one user on your computer then it probably doesn't matter much which folder something gets installed into.

Thanks for that. The problem with that is with updates. I noticed, for instance, that Handbrake in my user folder was a newer version than the Mac HD folder. Presumably because I dragged the update into my Dock app folder. But it didn't automatically update the main one.

Next update I'm going to do the reverse and see if it updates my dock folder which I presume is from my user folder. Maybe I should trash the dock one and make a new dock one from the Mac HD one and then always add apps to the main Mac HD folder and then hope it duplicates it in the dock folder. Will try it today and get back.

nibbles
23rd August 2010, 09:26 PM
Unless you specifically place or install something in your Mac HD/ Applications folder nothing will automatically go in there, they are not linked in any way. Steam puts all it's apps into your user folder. An item in your dock can be located anywhere, it has nothing to do with where the app is located

PCKid
23rd August 2010, 10:11 PM
Unless you specifically place or install something in your Mac HD/ Applications folder nothing will automatically go in there, they are not linked in any way. Steam puts all it's apps into your user folder. An item in your dock can be located anywhere, it has nothing to do with where the app is located

Maybe I wasn't clear. In the Dock I have a copy of the Applications folder. So are you saying that even though I put an app in the MacHD Application Folder it won't also be in the same Application Folder in the Dock on the right of the receding dotted lines? Do I need to put it in both to make sure they are both equal. Seems a little backward to me.

nibbles
24th August 2010, 07:39 AM
Sorry my bad didn't read it properly, yes if you have a folder to the right of the dotted line that is for the mac HD apps folder anything in it will be in the actual applications folder, same thing of you were to put the other apps folder in the dock

grfxninja
24th August 2010, 08:01 AM
It sounds to me like the shortcut in your dock is actually your User>Applications folder.
In which case, adding or updating something to the MacHD Applications folder will have no bearing on the Applications shortcut in your dock as they are not linked in any way.
http://img.skitch.com/20100823-8nnsidqfb2jhn75kibanqdm31m.jpg

PCKid
24th August 2010, 09:29 AM
It sounds to me like the shortcut in your dock is actually your User>Applications folder.
In which case, adding or updating something to the MacHD Applications folder will have no bearing on the Applications shortcut in your dock as they are not linked in any way.
http://img.skitch.com/20100823-8nnsidqfb2jhn75kibanqdm31m.jpg

Yes I think that was the problem. I got rid of the Dock link and went to the root of the MacHD and dragged that Application Folder to the Dock. So should it now be ok to put it either in the main MacHD one or in the shortcut of that folder in the Dock and they will update correctly either way?

PCKid
24th August 2010, 10:33 AM
This morning I installed an update for an app called WePrintServer. First I used Appzapper to remove the old version from the User App Folder, The MacHD App Folder and the Dock App Folder which is now a mirror of the MacHD App Folder. Then I installed WePrintServer. It didn't give me the option to drag it anywhere so it just installed it. So I checked the MacHD App Folder and the one in the Dock and it was in both. However it wasn't in the one under my User App Folder. Should I just get rid of the User one to save any confusion?

soulman
24th August 2010, 01:59 PM
Short answer - Yes. There is nothing to be got from having two copies of an app except pain. I only install apps into the root level Applications folder even though I have, for some reason unknown to me, a user level Applications folder too.

glacierdave
24th August 2010, 05:01 PM
Short answer - Yes. There is nothing to be got from having two copies of an app except pain. I only install apps into the root level Applications folder even though I have, for some reason unknown to me, a user level Applications folder too.

This is the default behaviour of OS X. The root level applications folder allows for global access to applications. The user level applications folder allows only for that user to access applications. This allows the computer to have different applications available to different users.

This is how it's supposed to work.

Applications installed in the root applications folder will be made available to all users in addition to the user level applications - through the wonders of symlinks and other underlying technologies, they'll all appear in the user level applications folder.

(At least, that's my recollection of this from when I was doing my ACMT study - and just looking at my MBP now my root and user level apps folders are exactly the same but I KNOW some apps are installed at root level and some at user level.)

soulman
24th August 2010, 06:47 PM
This is how it's supposed to work.

Applications installed in the root applications folder will be made available to all users in addition to the user level applications - through the wonders of symlinks and other underlying technologies, they'll all appear in the user level applications folder.Yes, I understand why the two folders potentially exist. ~/Applications/ is not part of a recent standard install to my knowledge though, so I would disagree that it is the default behaviour of OS X, and, when some apps at some times have created one OMM, the folder has never contained links to anything in /Applications/. Your mileage obviously varies. Not sure why.

..and just looking at my MBP now my root and user level apps folders are exactly the same but I KNOW some apps are installed at root level and some at user level.)That doesn't actually make sense to me. If an app is installed in ~/Applications/, surely it would not appear in the root level folder. What would be the point?

glacierdave
25th August 2010, 07:33 AM
OK, just went back and checked on a few things.

There isn't a ~/Applications by default. The one that shows up in Finder is /Applications.

Should really have checked more carefully before I posted I guess.

Applications isn't one of the directories that has two version (one in root and one in user) although there are a number of other standard directories for which this is the case.

Perhaps some of my confusion came from a previous install I had - at some point I did have a ~/Applications but I don't remember the context. Ah well...