PDA

View Full Version : How do I change settings for Guest account?

brianbron
22nd August 2010, 01:47 PM
I have set up a Guest account so that friends can use my Macbook for email & browsing without having access to my personal files. However I'm unable to permanently change system settings for the Guest account. In particular I want to enable tapping for the track pad, but when the user logs out, the trackpad settings are reset to default, which is tapping disabled.
I know this was a new feature of Leopard (I'm using OSX 10.5.8) - all guest files and setting changes are deleted when the guest logs out - but is there some way for an administrator to change the guest system settings?

Huy
22nd August 2010, 02:40 PM
I would suggest not using the Guest account, but creating a second account for them.

brianbron
22nd August 2010, 04:15 PM
Yes, another account is an option, but I like the feature of the Guest account that deletes all users' files when they log off. Saves me having to tidy up after them!
I just want to be able to change some of the system settings.

glacierdave
23rd August 2010, 08:24 AM
Those preferences also get deleted along with all the other user files.

If you want to use the Guest account then you also get to enjoy the pros and cons of doing so.

I suspect that the closest you could get to what you want (and I haven't tried this with the guest account so I'm not certain it would work) would be to set up a user account the way you want it to work, strip out the personal information (saved passwords, etc) and then, using single user mode, copy that account to the folder that's used to set up a new user when one is created.

It's a bit long-winded to do this but can be done. The process I've used to do this is included in this post:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/11/81200-sysprep-mac-os-x.html