PDA

View Full Version : Optibay enclosure

samb345
21st August 2010, 12:08 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking at replacing the internal optical drive in my MBP with a optibay enclosure and 2nd HD.

Is the MCE Optibay the only enclosure available in Australia?

Has anyone sourced an optibay enclosure from ebay?

Do the enclosures being on ebay work in the 13" MBP?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

idyllik
23rd August 2010, 05:13 PM
i bought a cheapy enclosure on ebay for like 25bucks delivered
works a treat with my 640gb in there while my ssd kicks it in my stock hdd bay

samb345
23rd August 2010, 06:01 PM
I took the plunge and went with the $25 ebay optibay enclosure with the screw holes for fixing it to the MB case.

Just waiting for the enclosure to arrive. I will put my SSD into the optibay and HD in the regular bay.

BTW, has anyone got the Apple MBA Superdrive to work with the MBP? I tried the software hack without success. I don't want to switch the IDE to USB interface. I hv a external FW optical drive I can use, if all else fails.

Thanks.

aeidau
28th August 2010, 06:30 PM
Hey guys is it worth it?

I was thinking about doing this when I first got my macbook pro.

Now that I've already filled the 500GB drive. a WD 750GB or 1TB drive would be nice with a SSD. :p

It's not like I actually use the DVD drive :slant:

dche5390
3rd September 2010, 12:49 AM
I bought the official optibay. Comes with an enclosure for the optical drive, but without a faceplate which is rather weird. Oh well. I never use the optical drive anyway and the added SSD is a godsend.

grizz_li
6th September 2010, 01:28 AM
This is what I've been thinking too:
2nd HDD caddy Apple OptiBay SuperDrive Replacement SATA - eBay, Hard Disk Drive Cases, Laptop Accessories, Computing. (end time 25-Sep-10 11:59:19 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220628493563&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

It looks like an official knockoff.

aeidau
7th September 2010, 03:24 PM
there are more on ebay. of course its a knockoff

samb345
11th September 2010, 03:12 PM
Hi Guys,

Just reporting back. I did the ebay optibay alternative with a SSD drive.

All good, I have the SSD in the optibay enclosure and the HD in the regular bay.

Thanks for you help.