PDA

View Full Version : 200mb of 3G data on first day?

DELTAsnake
20th August 2010, 08:42 PM
So I got my iPhone 4, and switched to Telstra for there better network. I restored the iPhone 4 using my Optus 3GS's backup so everything should be the same yet somehow I used as much 3G data in one day on my Telstra iPhone 4 as I used all year on my Optus iPhone 3GS despite being on WiFi most of the day.

Is there something new in the iPhone 4 that uses a lot of 3G data or something Telstra's put on the iPhone that goes through data?

timmytomtam
20th August 2010, 08:45 PM
did you set up an email account? It may have downloaded all your emails?

DELTAsnake
20th August 2010, 09:03 PM
did you set up an email account? It may have downloaded all your emails?

No I use hotmail's web interface, never like iPhone's Mail app.

alextrob
20th August 2010, 09:07 PM
How are you checking your data usage?

DELTAsnake
20th August 2010, 09:22 PM
How are you checking your data usage?

An SMS from Telstra alerted me then I checked setting>general>usage.

lukemc
20th August 2010, 09:25 PM
Same, but I think it's a pro rata amount. I signed up yesterday but my billing date is the 8th and it said I'd used 35% in one day

alextrob
20th August 2010, 09:35 PM
I'm pretty sure if you've restored from a backup it would have brought across the data usage figures from your old iPhone.

Pro rata would explain why your usage appears to be high on Telstra's system. Call Telstra about it and ask when your billing date is. Your first 'month' is usually just a fraction of a month so you only get that fraction of the calls & data.

DELTAsnake
20th August 2010, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure if you've restored from a backup it would have brought across the data usage figures from your old iPhone.

Pro rata would explain why your usage appears to be high on Telstra's system. Call Telstra about it and ask when your billing date is. Your first 'month' is usually just a fraction of a month so you only get that fraction of the calls & data.

I guess that makes sense, I always thought data usage stats where unique to each iPhone but if it copied over the stats that would explain it on the iPhone side of things. And leave it to Telstra to make my billing cycle start on a different day to when I signed up.

Phunky
20th August 2010, 10:04 PM
Pro rata.

TJA77
27th August 2010, 10:00 PM
I have a weird blow out with my data as well. I joined Telstra yesterday and just checked my usage with consume and my eyes nearly fell out of my head!

I havent used data for anything. Its been wifi the whole 24 hours of owning this phone

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv329/tremontifan/consume.png

I think I better go to T-Life tomorrow and sort this out!

hokka
27th August 2010, 10:37 PM
It's pro rata, same thing happened to me, though I just calmly walked into an Telstra shop, found out that the cycle day was approx A WEEK "after" the day you switch, so technically you've "used up" 75% of that first months (23 out of 30 days or 3 out of 4 weeks gone), make sense now? so I say you probably used 20-40MB max so far.

It's just how Telstra data works - which divids total data into the no. of days in a month then times the days gone by to roughly work out how much data you are entitled to when you join as it's got a week of delay, otherwise you can say you have 1GB to use in that first week until the cycle starts which isn't fair.

Now, put down that shot-gun, go to the fridge and get a coldie, sit down by your tv and put on Planet Earth, relaaaaaaaaxxxxxxx ;)

glitch
27th August 2010, 10:48 PM
Yes, its pro rata, only Tel$tra could come up with such a clumsy billing system. Seemingly your billing cycle bears no relationship to when you activate the account, or the day of the month! Mine used 30% in the first day as well, my billing date is something like the 18th. Go figure!

timmytomtam
27th August 2010, 10:52 PM
Your not going to pay for a full months service, so it stands to reason that you don't get the full amount of data.

However you should have been made aware of it :)
When signing up for vodafone, one of the things you have to read, tick and sign is about the billing cycle and pro-rata

TJA77
27th August 2010, 10:54 PM
Consume says rollover in 29 days but on the Telstra website when I log into the data it says the rollover is next Thurs? So what exactly does this mean? Can I use data happily or do I need to stick to using wi-fi only until the rollover takes effect?

hokka
27th August 2010, 11:01 PM
Consume says rollover in 29 days but on the Telstra website when I log into the data it says the rollover is next Thurs? So what exactly does this mean? Can I use data happily or do I need to stick to using wi-fi only until the rollover takes effect?

You follow Telstra, remember you had to enter the cycle start day manually into whatever the App (Consume in your case, I use Quota) which is not the actual start day, you should change it on your phone to next Thursday

TJA77
27th August 2010, 11:03 PM
You follow Telstra, remember you had to enter the cycle start day manually into whatever the App (Consume in your case, I use Quota) which is not the actual start day, you should change it on your phone to next Thursday

You're right! Thanks alot for the tips :)

hokka
27th August 2010, 11:07 PM
No probs, go ahead and you can freely leave your "WiFi safe zone", just don't go crazy until next Thursday thinking you have all the data to use up as my previous post explains, you only have what ever data remaining in the months you have left until next Thursday to use