PDA

View Full Version : Locked Sim as a result of using Jailbreakme.com

lenman74
19th August 2010, 09:07 PM
Hi im on Telstra and just JB's my iphone 4 running 4.01 using jailbreakme.com

I now am staring at a phone with "locked sim".

Are telstra post paid phones (contract) locked at all? Do I need to run ultrasnow?

Any ideas folks?

Cheers
Len

EDIT:

I was looking at cydia etc. Let the phone autolock. And now when I swiped to get back in its asking me for a pin code. I have never set up the lock screen so this must be the pin code. Says I have two tries left (used one up).

I have NO IDEA and this problem does not seem to be replicated by other people.

lukemc
19th August 2010, 09:19 PM
i just got a telstra micro sim and it came with a sim pin printed on the card (you had to scratch away its coating to read it like a scratchie!)

lenman74
19th August 2010, 09:24 PM
THANKS, the nextbyte dude installed my sim,
just looking at it, there are are these numbers on it:

4P GP

pretty much in that order and orientation. Any of these the number I need?

Am I dealing with a telstra locked phone? That would still work with a telstra sim right?

Do I need to Unlock the iphone?

bennyling
19th August 2010, 09:25 PM
Yep, you're being asked for the SIM card PIN, usually a four-digit number that's printed on the SIM card cut-out (the larger card that should have come with your SIM).

Am I dealing with a telstra locked phone? That would still work with a telstra sim right?

Yes, you're dealing with a Telstra locked phone, which will work with a Telstra SIM.

You're after the larger card that should have come with your SIM card. Check in the box of the phone, maybe?

lukemc
19th August 2010, 09:25 PM
the pin was on the card (credit card sized thing) that you break the micro sim out of for me.
It was protected from prying eyes under a scratch panel. Do you have the card?

Beaten!

lenman74
19th August 2010, 09:27 PM
damn, I left the box at the office where I hope that larger card is still in there, though I don't remember seeing it.

Can I ring telstra?

bennyling
19th August 2010, 09:31 PM
damn, I left the box at the office where I hope that larger card is still in there, though I don't remember seeing it.

Can I ring telstra?

To get a PUK code (after you enter the incorrect SIM PIN 3 times), sure.

lenman74
19th August 2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys!!!!!

Phunky
20th August 2010, 08:11 PM
Settings > Phone > SIM PIN > Off
Will also prevent it asking for your PIN every time you turn your phone off and on

Huy
21st August 2010, 08:56 PM
Settings > Phone > SIM PIN > Off
Will also prevent it asking for your PIN every time you turn your phone off and on

I would advise against this for security purposes, in case your iPhone gets stolen/lost. You don't want people accessing your SIM (making calls, etc) on a stolen/lost iPhone.

Phunky
22nd August 2010, 11:58 PM
It only asks for the pin when you turn the phone on not when you make a call, how is that going to protect against unauthorised calls if you lose the phone? Only if the person who finds it decides to reboot the phone before making their calls, or move the sim to another phone first

Huy
23rd August 2010, 06:35 AM
In combination with Auto-Lock (Pass code). A trade-off in convenience vs security.

drewbles
23rd August 2010, 12:48 PM
In combination with Auto-Lock (Pass code). A trade-off in convenience vs security.

Restoring an iPhone via DFU mode removes the phone lock, and the SIM would remain unlocked (the lock/unlock for a SIM PIN is on the SIM itself, not the phone).

Use both. You only need to enter a SIM PIN when you power cycle a phone. Most people rarely ever actually turn their iPhones off (via slide to power off at least).

You can't be too careful with these things. At least if your phone is lost/stolen with both, they won't be able to use the SIM after doing a DFU restore.