PDA

View Full Version : White iPhone cracks - replacement?

matt9407
18th August 2010, 10:34 PM
i have a white iPhone 3GS and it has around 5 small hairline cracks by the headphone jack and the sim tray aswell as a big 2 inch crack at the bottom by the dock connector, now ive heard that they will replace your iphone for this as it is a defect, but i have also dropped my phone recently which has caused a small blemish to appear in the top right hand corner of the casing, will this stop apple from giving me a replacement?
and also, this is my second iphone, the mic broke on the first one so i got it replaced, and on this one my mic also keeps breaking and i have to keep restoring the phone to get it to work again so i am going to mension that aswell.

funwithstuff
19th August 2010, 12:05 AM
Cracks under warranty = replacement. I'm on my third white iPhone 3G.

insular
19th August 2010, 12:16 AM
i had tiny cracks starting at the dock connector and got it replaced, despite evidence on the corners that i had dropped it (the case i had left the corners exposed).

Aco
19th August 2010, 04:20 AM

Haha.. i was on my third one too (in 12 months) before upgrading to the 4.

I never bothered with a cover as the cracks appeared after a few months and i went back in for a fresh model each time. On the spot replacement, (y)

pdx
22nd August 2010, 09:01 PM

Cracks out of warranty = replacement. Myself and 2 other people made genius bar appointments one after another with white iPhones and all got replaced. Mine was 2 months out of warranty and he replaced it without a question.

Huy
22nd August 2010, 09:29 PM
Cracks out of warranty = replacement. Myself and 2 other people made genius bar appointments one after another with white iPhones and all got replaced. Mine was 2 months out of warranty and he replaced it without a question.

How long can you leave it? e.g. what if I've got cracks and it's 1 year out of warranty? (No AppleCare on it) Too late? :)

I have a feeling they won't replace it if I've waited >1 year to replace it.

pdx
23rd August 2010, 11:48 AM
How long can you leave it? e.g. what if I've got cracks and it's 1 year out of warranty? (No AppleCare on it) Too late? :)

I have a feeling they won't replace it if I've waited >1 year to replace it.

I'm not sure. I was 1-2 months out of warranty but I was told by one of the people at the Apple store that if it was a manufacturing fault it didn't matter how long out of warranty it was.

I think it really depends on the genius you get, my brother had more questions asked of his white 3GS that had a couple of days of warranty left.

The guy I dealt with also replaced a year and a half old 3G for going in and out of silent by itself without any questions.

Interesting note too, my iPhone came up as having water damage and it still was replaced out of warranty!