PDA

View Full Version : Claim GST at airport when leaving

mojohojo
18th August 2010, 05:30 PM
so i just bought a new macbook pro, with student discount and will be leaving australia in a week. Hoping to claim back GST at the airport and get some money back, and i know you have to show the invoice and the goods; but does anyone know if i must show the original box?
I plan to put it in my sleeve and in a backpack, but they might think its not new.

decryption
18th August 2010, 05:32 PM
Nah, I didn't show the box when I got the GST back on my camera lens. Just took the camera out of my bag, plonked it on the desk and that was enough for them.

gikku
18th August 2010, 05:36 PM
show the original box?

no, just the goods, if they ask. ;)

DeKa
18th August 2010, 05:37 PM
Half the time they don't even ask...

ton123
19th August 2010, 12:01 PM
No need for box. Just your macbook and receipt will do. Also make sure that you have your name and address printed on your receipt. It is required for purchase >$1000 or so. And be sure to get there early as the queue sometimes could take 1/2 hour just to get serve. ;)

icant
19th August 2010, 01:41 PM
And be sure to get there early as the queue sometimes could take 1/2 hour just to get serve. ;)

And when you reach the front of the line, they turn you away if your flight is boarding (there is a screen there showing which flights are boarding).

Yes, go early.

(This is Sydney Airport).

Orangepeel
19th August 2010, 02:18 PM
Don't be suprised if they try and slug u tax when u bring it back into the country as you claimed it leaving the country -technically you are to declare it coming back in. If it over the threshold - you may have to pay tax on it

See how you go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icant
19th August 2010, 03:31 PM
Don't be suprised if they try and slug u tax when u bring it back into the country as you claimed it leaving the country -technically you are to declare it coming back in. If it over the threshold - you may have to pay tax on it

Good point. When leaving, (if they ask) tell them it's a gift for someone overseas. Unfortunately if you say you're bringing it back, they (can) get stroppy.

(Again, this was experience gained while standing in line in Sydney).

I've never had a problem with the actual return trip, in Sydney or Melbourne.

gikku
19th August 2010, 04:17 PM

but when bringing it back it's not new anymore, it's used.
Tax is payable on current value, could be a whole lot less than what you paid for it, like >50% less. ;)

esm
19th August 2010, 05:13 PM
was there ever a chance they taxed you coming in? do they have a way of knowing that you are the guy who claimed a tax refund for an item?

last year, i claimed refund for a couple of item... mac, mouse, but in the recpt, it also included other stuff - kb, printer. then the guy processing it, just said.. show me the recpt and got the whole amount even though it had other items there. Sometimes you get lucky. :)

sparky13
19th August 2010, 07:18 PM
Hey anyone know if you can do that as a 16 year old?

dracomjb
20th August 2010, 12:36 PM
When I did this on my 13" Macbook Pro, and declared it coming back, customs thanked me and said most people don't bother, and waved me through