PDA

View Full Version : uninstalling programs

bren18
16th August 2010, 09:57 PM
Ok people, i am new to mac os, I have just brought a MBP and have been a windows user for years, I know my way around a pc quite well and am getting use to mac os. My question is how do you uninstall software on a mac.

DeKa
16th August 2010, 10:00 PM
Drag to the trash. It's gone. Too easy!

Smokebelch
16th August 2010, 10:37 PM
If you want to make sure everything has been trashed ie preferences and application support folders, use something like AppTrap. When you drag an application to the trash, Apptrap will ask if you want to also delete all associated preferences etc.

Just be careful if you're updating an application from within itself. For instance, when Transmission updates itself, it deletes the original application icon. This causes AppTrap to pop up and ask if you want to delete all data to which you have to say "No"

The other option is to manually search out all these preferences as you delete a application

bren18
18th August 2010, 08:21 PM
thanks guys....all to easy.

sirstaunch
19th August 2010, 10:47 AM
Just be careful if you're updating an application from within itself. For instance, when Transmission updates itself, it deletes the original application icon. This causes AppTrap to pop up and ask if you want to delete all data to which you have to say "No"

That seems like a little bit of a pain, try appzapper.

Smokebelch
19th August 2010, 03:49 PM
What, to select "No"? it's actually not that much of a pain... Unless you have hundreds of apps constantly updating themselves I suppose