PDA

View Full Version : Problems with equation editor in word 08

youngin
16th August 2010, 06:27 PM
Hey guys,

i'm writing a report of sort with steps to solving a design problem, so naturally there are tons and tons of equations. I use the equation editor and paste them into the word doc.

When i first started working on it i saved my work, and the next time i opened it the equation images come up blurry. Why is this?Does anyone know?

I've tried clicking on them again and some of them do sharpen up, but some won't re-open in the eqn editor again.

Also earlier on, word was telling me it had trouble saving the document on Mac HD due to lack of space or something, which is strange as there is about 23gb of free space on the comp.

Anyone??:confused:

cheers, youngin

milliedog
16th August 2010, 08:28 PM
I know what you are talking about - there is a well documented bug when you have too many equations pasted into a document.

Check out the Microsoft Mac Office Newsgroups (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/).

I have started using Pages & Math Type in docs that I know will have a lot of equations in them.

youngin
17th August 2010, 06:33 PM
Yes, that seems to be the problem, but for a technical paper all i need in there are equations!

I'm not sure what to do with that link? Perhaps didn't come up right? I will suss out math type!

Thanks!

bljpoad
18th August 2010, 05:56 AM
You could always try latexit (http://chachatelier.fr/programmation/latexit_en.php) or just use latex for the whole document if it is full of equations. Personally I feel that latex makes equations look way better than equation editor, but that is just me. Good luck :)

youngin
18th August 2010, 10:19 PM
You could always try latexit (http://chachatelier.fr/programmation/latexit_en.php) or just use latex for the whole document if it is full of equations. Personally I feel that latex makes equations look way better than equation editor, but that is just me. Good luck :)

yep, will try both!thanks guys... i just hope i won't have to re-type everything i've got so far :confused:

cheers

Byrd
19th August 2010, 08:50 AM
Have you updated to the latest 2008 .point release - Microsoft seem to release a new 300MB download eveyr few weeks for it :p

youngin
19th August 2010, 03:26 PM
Have you updated to the latest 2008 .point release - Microsoft seem to release a new 300MB download eveyr few weeks for it :p

this update stuff is rubbish

youngin
19th August 2010, 03:40 PM
I know what you are talking about - there is a well documented bug when you have too many equations pasted into a document.

Check out the Microsoft Mac Office Newsgroups (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/).

I have started using Pages & Math Type in docs that I know will have a lot of equations in them.

i downloaded math type and after i installed it, the word sort of started freezing, and launching on it's own, so did power point. It just behaved weird..

Besides the point, once i typed an equation, saved, closed and opened again, there was the same problem, it came up blurry :mad:

youngin
20th August 2010, 02:14 PM
Ok this isn't going good.. i didn't like the way math type worked so i deleted it, and now it's stuck in the insert option in Word 08, but the Microsoft Equation has disapeared... Anyone know how to fix it? :(

Fingers
20th August 2010, 07:13 PM
Not really sure how to get it back......could you just re-load the Office suite again?

If no-one here has any suggestions, head to the Microsoft Word help Forums....they may be able to assist.......and ask them about your blurry issues as well.......There are a lot of Mac users out there using the free basic Equation Editor, and not having your blurring issues....maybe there's something that can be done to solve it?

And Yes I agree, Equation Editor can be a pain, but I'll just put up with it....I've tried Latex, or whatever its called, but it just looked too hard.....I really need something that works along side Word, to put equations and Maths typeset characters into a Word document.....for Mathematics Assignments, and worksheets etc etc

I find it relatively easy to type in, I don't have any "blurry" issues, but it is a Pain in the Proverbial that sometimes you want to go back to amend the equation, but Word has converted it into a picture, and it won't re-launch into Equation Editor.....other than that it does me OK.

My Uni has provided me with an Asus Eee PC....it is a touch screen, and has hand writing detection software, as well as Math Type recognition software....so you are supposed to be able to write freehand on the screen, and the PC will put it into Math Type equations for you.....now it sounded good at the time, so I signed up to be in the Test group....but I should have known better, because it is CRAP.....! Unless you have a simple one line equation, is is terrible problematic to do anything with fractional powers, or square roots of fractions, or roots of numbers with fractional powers....!!!!! I certainly learnt to appreciate the simple Equation Editor found in Microsoft Word.....!

Tony.

youngin
21st August 2010, 12:49 AM
Not really sure how to get it back......could you just re-load the Office suite again?

If no-one here has any suggestions, head to the Microsoft Word help Forums....they may be able to assist.......and ask them about your blurry issues as well.......There are a lot of Mac users out there using the free basic Equation Editor, and not having your blurring issues....maybe there's something that can be done to solve it?

And Yes I agree, Equation Editor can be a pain, but I'll just put up with it....I've tried Latex, or whatever its called, but it just looked too hard.....I really need something that works along side Word, to put equations and Maths typeset characters into a Word document.....for Mathematics Assignments, and worksheets etc etc

I find it relatively easy to type in, I don't have any "blurry" issues, but it is a Pain in the Proverbial that sometimes you want to go back to amend the equation, but Word has converted it into a picture, and it won't re-launch into Equation Editor.....other than that it does me OK.

My Uni has provided me with an Asus Eee PC....it is a touch screen, and has hand writing detection software, as well as Math Type recognition software....so you are supposed to be able to write freehand on the screen, and the PC will put it into Math Type equations for you.....now it sounded good at the time, so I signed up to be in the Test group....but I should have known better, because it is CRAP.....! Unless you have a simple one line equation, is is terrible problematic to do anything with fractional powers, or square roots of fractions, or roots of numbers with fractional powers....!!!!! I certainly learnt to appreciate the simple Equation Editor found in Microsoft Word.....!

Tony.
HAHA that's what you get for putting your hand up eh...

Yeah about that, word converting the equation to a pic when it's blurry and you need to edit it deffinitelly doesn't help..

But my word has been behaving weird lately, as if it has some bug or something, i keep gettin some error messages now, i've posted them im mac apps forum

youngin
1st September 2010, 10:34 PM
Anyone know how i can re-install word without the disk? It was my mates disk, im pretty sure he's used up all 3 licences by now..

cheer