PDA

View Full Version : Un-Jailbreaking?

The_Hawk
16th August 2010, 04:48 PM
As someone who has dabbled with jailbreaking and is now looking at going back to stock, is there anything special that needs to be done or that I should be aware of?

Do I simply restore and it's all good?
Should I uninstall stuff through Cydia?

In my case I have only a few apps I have installed and haven't toyed with anything deeper. I have used:

SBSettings
My3G
Lockinfo
MyWi 4.0 (which has been removed)

Do any of these need anything special?

NathR32
16th August 2010, 04:50 PM
Just backup and restore. Simple as that.

jok3r
16th August 2010, 05:00 PM

+1

To make it really simple, just think of jailbreaking as a piece of software that can only be removed by restoring the iphone.

Once restored there are no visible traces of it being jailbroken.

mmulhern
16th August 2010, 07:23 PM
OK, the good news is you just connect the iPhone to your Mac, iTunes, and restore.

The bad news (maybe) is you end up with a phone on iOS 4.x, which is good if your phone is a 4, OK if a 3GS, and down right abysmal if it's a 3G.

I'm more than satisfied with iOS4 running on my JB 3GS. I haven't found my 3GS to be any slower (or faster) after I had jail broken it.

ZacDavies
16th August 2010, 08:02 PM
Just make sure to change back certain things like the carrier logo.. I restored from a backup and the custom logo was still present.. had to re-jailbreak just to change the carrier back to normal then restore..

The_Hawk
16th August 2010, 08:21 PM
It's an iPhone4 so updating isn't really an issue. As I said I didn't toy with much of anything. To be honest I never really felt the need to jailbreak and thought I would try it out. While some of the stuff like lock screen info is very nice and being able to use 3G instead of having to have WiFi all the time is very nice (both of which should really be standard).

I'm in no rush to undo it, although MY3G is a paid app with it's trial up so I either need to pay for it (only $4) which then means I need to stay jailbroken to keep using it.

torana355
16th August 2010, 09:07 PM
The only tip i will give is you need to set up the iphone as a new phone rather then restore it from the backup or traces of the jailbreak will remain on the iphone. This means your warranty could be voided.

torana355
16th August 2010, 09:09 PM

Just make sure you don't restore from the backup!! Setup as a new phone and sync your apps and contacts back to the phone or traces of the jailbreak will remain voiding the warranty.

Stez
16th August 2010, 09:30 PM
The only tip i will give is you need to set up the iphone as a new phone rather then restore it from the backup or traces of the jailbreak will remain on the iphone. This means your warranty could be voided.

Not really. Genius' don't go much further then making sure Cydia isn't an app on your phone.

torana355
16th August 2010, 09:37 PM
Not really. Genius' don't go much further then making sure Cydia isn't an app on your phone.

Yeah but alot of people that don't start as a new phone when they restore end up with parts of the jailbreak still on the iphone, like the numeric GSM setting staying on once restored!!