PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an iPhone IM client

Gothikon
16th August 2010, 08:54 AM
Now that the iPhone has multitasking I've decided it's worth getting an IM client for my iPhone.

I'm after something that at minimum supports AIM, MSN and Jabber/Gtalk and most importantly doesn't log me out when it's running the background. It also needs to be easy to log in and out of (I have my phone with me all day but don't want it logged in when I'm at work or home and have my laptop around).

TIA!

EDIT - apologies if there has been a thread about this before, I did a quick search but didn't see anything.

bennyling
16th August 2010, 08:59 AM
Beejive - instant messaging anywhere (http://www.beejive.com/)

otherwise Meebo for iPhone | meebo (http://www.meebo.com/iphone/)

skyhawkmatthew
16th August 2010, 09:08 AM
I'll second Beejive - it's great.

tcn33
16th August 2010, 09:11 AM
I like eBuddy.

jok3r
16th August 2010, 09:48 AM
Beejive is good but extremely expensive.
IM+ is great if you own both iPhone and iPad.

Meebo & Trillian are good also.

I would personally use meebo and wait for IM+ to go on sale, as it regularally does

MissionMan
16th August 2010, 09:59 AM
+1 for IM+. It works on both ipad and iphone. It also has optional voice recognition (monthly charge applies) if you don't feel like typing.

Jaffa
16th August 2010, 10:02 AM
I've used and would recommend Trillian. http://www.trillian.im/get/iphone/

However, it seems like BeeJive has definitely improved lately and I would be keen to give it a spin if I actually IM'd more on the iPhone.

jok3r
16th August 2010, 10:03 AM
I bought beejive for $13 as an early adoptee of the iPhone with very little amount of competetion in the IM client at the time.
Really got annoyed to find out there a beejive for iPad, which had to be purchased again!!!
Totally unfair IMO

walexx
16th August 2010, 10:14 AM
Beejive for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!.

For iPad users, just use your iphone version on the ipad and X2 it. Thats what I do and it works fine for me.

There was a time where Beejive wouldnt work on my iPad and wouldnt sync either, but recently it worked again, so all good.

Ive tried IM+ and some of the others, but after using Beejive, I just cant use the others, they just dont have the same fluid ease of use as Beejive.

jok3r
16th August 2010, 04:04 PM
^^^ 2x magnification is plan ugly.
Its like asking people to watch analogue on a digital tv.

a) $13 for an IM Client is by far too expensive (even thou i did purchase it)
b) they expect u to pay another $13 for the iPad version .... 2 simple words *BLOW ME* / IM+ offers the iPad edition for free if u purchased their iphone version

Thats my only real gripe against them. there software is fine..

& besides, theres nothing it can do that other IM clients mentioned above cant.
Save your money on the over priced software.

Zanorath
17th August 2010, 07:18 PM
I'd say beejive. I payed $18 for the iPhone one when it was brand new, and then got the iPad one on sale for $5. I know thats a lot, but I've been using the iPhone one for almost 2 years now, and its always updated to support the new features, is the most ascetically pleasing and is so reliable. The iPad version is just as good. I leave my iPhone signed into google talk permanently through it.

xwing25
17th August 2010, 07:41 PM
+1 for im+ if you use both ipad and iphone, even if its just an iphone ive always been happy with it.

drewbles
18th August 2010, 03:57 PM
+1 for IM+. It works on both ipad and iphone. It also has optional voice recognition (monthly charge applies) if you don't feel like typing.

Another +1 for IM+

They've also just done a nice update to support iPhone 4 Retina Display, and it's dual-purposed for the iPad. None of this "X2" crap, it's Native on both, for the one (much cheaper) price.

Works great:)

And a damn site cheaper than beejive!

gehenna
18th August 2010, 04:09 PM
Beejive or Meebo for me.