PDA

View Full Version : Theft of iMAC restore to Macbook

admjim
16th August 2010, 06:21 AM
Recently my house was broken into and my iMAC, 24" 3.06 ghz 4GB Mem and 500gb Hard drive, was STOLEN. Luckily they did not take my time machine backup nor my MacBook ( Model Identifier: MacBook2,1 Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GHz Memory: 4 GB Bus Speed:667 MHz). Since then I have beefed up my Macbook with a 500 GB hardrive and upgraded the OS to Mac OS X 10.6.4 (10F569).

My issue surrounds the restoration of data and applications from my iMAC, I had many third party apps installed and licensed (MS Office 2008). I do not want to overwrite the data on my macbook rather I would like to merge the data from the old system backups. I have created a new time machine backup for the MacBook on a separate disk.

Any suggestions on the best way(s) to do this? And the risks they might involve?

Balthazar
16th August 2010, 08:36 AM
You say you have a time machine backup of the old iMac... why not use migration assistant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Assistant_(Apple)) to restore the time machine backup?

glacierdave
16th August 2010, 08:41 AM
I'm with Balthazar on this - use Migration Assistant to restore data from your old TimeMachine backup. If you're nervous about overwriting data, restore to a new user profile and then move stuff around manually from there (import email etc).