PDA

View Full Version : iphone compass

brycecd
16th August 2010, 03:33 AM
I am unable to bring up compass on 3gs with 4.02 OS.

Balthazar
16th August 2010, 08:51 AM
I am unable to juggle, my whole life the best i can do is throw 3 pins up in the air and hope for the best. It never ends well.

Diva_Jes
16th August 2010, 01:38 PM
I am unable to juggle, my whole life the best i can do is throw 3 pins up in the air and hope for the best. It never ends well.

Haha, LOL of the day!!

Balthazar
16th August 2010, 02:18 PM
I am unable to bring up compass on 3gs with 4.02 OS.

Sorry mate,

I'll be serious... firstly, why is it important to you? the compass is the most useless app on the phone next to the phone app (i dont make calls all that much :) )

Ok so...to test out your compass just download one of the many other better compass/location apps on the app store and see if they work... if they do its a problem with the app not the internal compass (which imho is a piece of junk on the phone anyway... so in-accurate.

Finally if you are really that concerned, restore your iPhone to factory and see if it works, if it does, restore the last back up and hope for the best.

Stez
16th August 2010, 09:32 PM
Sorry mate,

I'll be serious... firstly, why is it important to you? the compass is the most useless app on the phone next to the phone app (i dont make calls all that much :) )

Ok so...to test out your compass just download one of the many other better compass/location apps on the app store and see if they work... if they do its a problem with the app not the internal compass (which imho is a piece of junk on the phone anyway... so in-accurate.

Finally if you are really that concerned, restore your iPhone to factory and see if it works, if it does, restore the last back up and hope for the best.

As an app it is fairly useless but it's good in that it can tell you which way you're facing in Maps. That's about it though :L

torana355
16th August 2010, 09:40 PM
It is not accurate at all so i wouldn't worry. I have a real compass and the iphone one is out by about 25 degrees!!!

macbj
16th August 2010, 10:04 PM
Whats with the troll attitude. Half the people on this forum don't have an iPad yet there is a whole sub forum for it.

This guy obviously wants to have a working compass on his iPhone so why go on about how he doesn't need it.

Balthazar
16th August 2010, 10:19 PM
Whats with the troll attitude. Half the people on this forum don't have an iPad yet there is a whole sub forum for it.

This guy obviously wants to have a working compass on his iPhone so why go on about how he doesn't need it.

You must have missed my post 3 above yours

macbj
16th August 2010, 10:30 PM
You must have missed my post 3 above yours
I did not miss it. I did not miss your first either.

mitty
16th August 2010, 10:36 PM
Okay settle down people. Perhaps if the OP wants to return and give a bit more information. It would appear from the post they can't even open/find the compass icon, but who knows.

brycecd
17th August 2010, 04:46 AM
That's it, I can't even find the compass icon. And I agree with the other posts, I think I may have tried it and found it disappointing so could I have deleted it?? And if so then I will just forget about it.
Thanks
Bryce

Balthazar
17th August 2010, 05:43 AM
That's it, I can't even find the compass icon. And I agree with the other posts, I think I may have tried it and found it disappointing so could I have deleted it?? And if so then I will just forget about it.
Thanks
Bryce

Sorry Bryce, my bad.

Unless you have jail broken your phone you won't have been able to delete the compass icon, perhaps you put it in a folder? Do you have a lot?

Quick way to find it would be to use spotlight. Swipe your phone to the left from the home screen and type "compass" into the search box. If the application isn't found then yes, it is missing. Otherwise enjoy.

My rather silly remarks yesterday (sorry for that, I was having one of those days) were simply to point out that the compass on the iPhone is really unusable due to it's inaccuracy. Not sure if the iPhone four is any better with it's gyroscope but I find the 3GS is at least 20degrees off if able to find north at all.

(stupid question but are you sure you have a 3GS? The 3G doesn't have a compass, maybe you have a 3G?)

Fitshaced
17th August 2010, 08:42 AM
I think if you double tap the 'location' button on the bottom left of google maps, it tells you what direction you are in. Not sure if its the same on 3GS.

torana355
17th August 2010, 06:34 PM
Did you try a spotlight search???

Edit: sorry Balthazar has already mentioned this.

bennyling
17th August 2010, 08:37 PM
Jump into Settings -> General -> Reset and hit the "Reset home screen icon layout" button.

That'll reset all your apps into alphabetical order, and hopefully Compass will re-appear.

brycecd
17th August 2010, 09:43 PM
Seems Balthazar's first response was the most appropriate. I have the 3G not the 3GS. Sorry to waste people's time with my ignorance.
Mystery solved and as usual operator error.

Balthazar
18th August 2010, 06:28 AM
Seems Balthazar's first response was the most appropriate. I have the 3G not the 3GS. Sorry to waste people's time with my ignorance.
Mystery solved and as usual operator error.

Must... Resist... Urge....

Nah, it's all good mate, same thing happened to my sis in law, she was playing with my phone and then spent three days trying to get her 3G to record video...

opilot87
18th August 2010, 10:13 PM
Well I actually use the compass quite a lot! And compared to an accurate compass, its surprisingly accurate! Within + / - 5 degrees. You do need to hold it like a normal person though (flat like a normal compass) and it is quite sensitive to interference, so something like nearby metal can throw it out, it seems more sensitive than a normal compass. You may also need to roll it around to calibrate it also.

Ollie