PDA

View Full Version : MacBookPro DVD drive keeps ejecting

Balthazar
15th August 2010, 03:40 PM
So i have Googled this one to death with no help.

The DVD drive on my MBP accepts a disc but after 5 seconds of whirring and other sounds spits it right back out.

I have heard cleaning it helps but it wont accept a cleaning CD.

I have heard repairing permissions helps... not for me.

I have heard a pram reset helps... nope

I have heard dropping discs in with the Lappy at all sorts of funny angles... again nothing.

Anyone have anything else?

I couldn't be f$%d taking it in for service.

cosmichobo
15th August 2010, 03:52 PM
Sounds like the drive's died. My eMac was doing the same.

Of course, very different eras of drives...

May have to get off that arse and call Apple.

Brains
15th August 2010, 03:57 PM
When it starts doing that, the drive needs replacing -- there is no quick fix. To the Apple Store (or your nearest authorised service provider) you go.

The slotloaders Apple have been using for the last couple of years are uniformly dreadful.

Balthazar
15th August 2010, 04:00 PM
Dang...

I only just replaced a dead HDD a few weeks ago. Right on the two years old mark.

ANyone know how much this sort of repair usually costs?

Arioch
15th August 2010, 09:46 PM
My MBP is ~ 3 years old and I have a similar issue but only with some DVDs - in fact I think it only effects the install and Snow Leopard update disks.

On insertion of one of these disks the superdrive grunts, clicks, whirs and then appears to give up and instigates eject.

After trying a few things that didn't work I reluctantly trialled a brute force and ignorance suggestion from the Internet - manually stop the disk from ejecting :eek:. Much to my surprise - this worked. For some reason in 2-3 seconds the drive capitulates and learns to love the disk it used to hate.

Is this good for your superdrive? Probably not! If my machine was in warranty I wouldn't do it and I'm definitely not recommending this to anyone - just letting you know what worked for me...

Good luck.

Balthazar
16th August 2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks Arioch, I haven't tried that and no, my MacBookPro isn't in warranty, I'm having the issue occur with all DVD's so i might try that (Will definitely use a disk i don't care about though)

cosmichobo
16th August 2010, 05:00 PM
Try a CD.