PDA

View Full Version : my powerbook - CMOS battery?

Cam
28th July 2004, 09:03 AM
Should my powerbook lose data&time when the battery fully discharges?

Does the powerbook not have a CMOS battery?

Disko edit: changed title

OziMac
28th July 2004, 09:12 AM
Don't you already have a thread called 'my powerbook'? How about something more specific? :)

And yes, the same thing has happened to me, so I assume it's somewhat normal - though I'm a bit more concerned about whether or not you'd need to recalibrate your battery is it fully discharges... might have to check out the Apple Support pages...

pipsqeek
28th July 2004, 10:40 AM
That doesn't sound very normal to me at all.

My iBook battery sometimes goes down to nothing. And it stays in sleep mode until I stick it n charge again. Where the battery meter in the menu says its at 0% charge.

My times and dates are all fine though.

Unless I am not understanding the problem.

Steve

Byrd
28th July 2004, 11:40 AM
Most recent powerbooks have a backup battery whereby PRAM settings are retained when the normal battery is completely discharged.

However, some models, such as clamshell iBooks (and others perhaps, not so sure), don't have a backup battery, relying on the main battery itself to store PRAM settings/time/etc.

What sort of Powerbook do you have Cam? I'm sure even if the lithum battery has died, it can be cheaply replaced using something from Jaycar or equivalent.

JB

OziMac
28th July 2004, 11:44 AM
Cam and I both have April 2004 Powerbooks. Hmm.

Byrd
28th July 2004, 12:00 PM
Urg.

Definately zap the PRAM, and reset your nvram (nee Power Manager).

1. As startup, boot into open firmware ( :cmd: -option-O-F)
2. type: reset-nvram
3. type: reset-all

JB

frenchtoast
15th August 2004, 06:21 PM
I had a similar problem recently. My iBook (June 2004) a couple of days ago, reset the time and date settings. Also it has quiet a few times decided to lose charge while plug into mains power and also make a bizzare buzz or whine or something while charging occasionaly. Something is wrong but i dont think is the charger or the battery. Anyone head of a similar problem? If it happens again i will have to take it back to Streetwise and get them to look at it. :(

purana
15th August 2004, 06:52 PM
Powerbooks indeed have a cmos battery... its possible its discharged completely.. try the pram resets.. and running it for a few hours on power supply.. if you still get issues, take it to a reseller or where you bought it for a service/repair.

frenchtoast
16th August 2004, 06:43 PM
I rung up AppleCare today to discuss my problem of my ibook (14" 1Ghz - 2 months old!) losing charge while plugged into AC supply. After all the discussion it was decided it was some sort of hardware problem that the tech guy personally had yet to come across (oh hoorah what good news, not). So i have taken it back to Streetwise (a.k.a. hospital) to find out what is wrong with him. So now i am sad because he is gone for a few days at least, maybe longer. But also worried that there is something terribly wrong. Then again happy because he is still under warranty and he is going to get fixed, yay. So now i shall wait and hope...

frenchtoast
26th August 2004, 10:10 PM
I got it back yesterday! What a week and a half wait. But apparently there is nothing wrong with it. Musnt have reset the PMU properly