PDA

View Full Version : "My iPhone would be better, if..."

karter
14th August 2010, 08:28 PM
Ok, post something you believe would make your iPhone better suited to you..(like something you wish your iPhone had)
But the feature you wish your iPhone had, has to be realistic (Something Apple could actually incorparate in an iPhone, no jailbreak..)

Ok mine is....My iPhone would be better if, the home screen could have a horizontal option for easier use when it's in the car holder.

Vojtin
14th August 2010, 08:45 PM
Better design, bigger screen-no change since 2007 same look.

bennyling
14th August 2010, 08:50 PM
the notification system was completely overhauled, and I could change my SMS ringtone.

LithgowLights
14th August 2010, 09:13 PM
Change my SMS ringtone to one I like (Same as the current ringtone system)

A universal dropbox for all programs. None of this cloud crap, I want it on the phone

Widgets on the lock screen for SMS, email, calendar etc

Decent calendar support for us PC users. i.e. colors from outlook calendar entries.

Also the ability to enter a calendar entry on one device and NOT have that item synched to all the other devices. My daughter and wife synch to my PC along with my iPad, so all 4 devices often beep for calendar entries that I really only wanted on MY phone only.

dekco
14th August 2010, 09:35 PM

Widgets on the lock screen for SMS, email, calendar etc...

this, and the ability to have a "to do" list natively on the lockscreen too.

the only reason why i jailbreak.

torana355
15th August 2010, 12:23 AM
I want the ability's of Lockinfo without jailbreaking. (Mail, Notifications, Weather, Calendar, Sms on the lock screen)

Also a decent SMS program with quick reply's and quick compose!!!

eaglesteve2
15th August 2010, 12:24 AM
I really like to see a screen that's at least 4 inches.

ausdan
15th August 2010, 12:30 AM
I would like to see Profiles. I was hoping that now that multitasking is here, someone would have designed a Profiles apps by now.

dekco
15th August 2010, 12:42 AM
I really like to see a screen that's at least 4 inches.

i think the screen is big enough. then again, we never complain about screen size (as long as its reasonable)

torana355
15th August 2010, 12:44 AM
i think the screen is big enough. then again, we never complain about screen size (as long as its reasonable)

It could actually be a bit bigger like some of the HTC Android phones. I wouldn't complain that's for sure lol.

cjm
15th August 2010, 01:14 AM
the notification system was completely overhauled, and I could change my SMS ringtone.

YES.

Or even better, and one thing I miss about my old failberry, is custom message tones for people.

And message icons/unread status in the notification bar at the top.

emerson
15th August 2010, 07:33 AM
YES.

Or even better, and one thing I miss about my old failberry, is custom message tones for people.

And message icons/unread status in the notification bar at the top.

I miss the message indicator light on my blackberry

eaglesteve2
15th August 2010, 07:35 AM

It's too small still. Many customers were lost on this alone. I was one of them, although I came back despite it. I'll be really really happy to see a bigger screen.

matt6288
15th August 2010, 08:20 AM
i would love to see flash, as well as all of the above.

Geoff3DMN
15th August 2010, 08:20 AM
Also the ability to enter a calendar entry on one device and NOT have that item synched to all the other devices.

It only does that if you don't use separate logins on the PC, set up some user accounts. PC's aren't meant to be used with a single user account.

Personally I'd like to see flash (yes I know it will never happen) and a slightly larger screen.

cjm
15th August 2010, 09:59 AM
I miss the message indicator light on my blackberry

Oh definitely. That too. I even had the app that made it flash different colours for different things. Then it bricked itself (usually a weekly occasion) and I never bothered putting it back on cos I knew I was going to get an iPhone and miss it.

And I also miss the ability to type anyones name on the home screen and have their details flash up and quickly be able to call them. But what's a few extra presses now anyway hah.

Alec Fraser
15th August 2010, 10:31 AM
Quick switches on the home screen for wifi/bluetooth/flight mode and a less intrusive notification system.

mmulhern
15th August 2010, 10:46 AM
- Wifi hotspot
- Easier access to settings that are buried deep
- Wireless syncing

supafly
15th August 2010, 11:43 AM
- Wifi hotspot
- Easier access to settings that are buried deep
- Wireless syncing

+ 1

TheKeddi
15th August 2010, 11:46 AM
I find it funny that no matter how good something is, we always want more.

I am so happy to be able to have the tech things we do these days, being an older member here I do remember the days where we had nothing!

The only thing I think the iPhone is missing is the Wi-Fi hotspot. Everything else is just awesome goodness.

thats awesome
15th August 2010, 11:52 AM
I would like my iPhone much more if it was slimmer.

alextrob
15th August 2010, 12:01 PM
My iPhone would be better if:
the proximity sensor worked properly;
it had a less obtrusive notification system like Palm's webOS;
it worked underwater;
it was scratch, shatter and shock proof.

Before the iPhone 4 I would never have said "it would be better if the iPhone had 4 times as many pixels packed into the same space". I hope future iPhones keep having non-obvious but really amazing features like that.

Kuma
15th August 2010, 12:24 PM
Would be better if
a) notifications were more <gasp> android like
b) IR transfer
c) a notification light

jack112006
15th August 2010, 12:37 PM
I would like my iPhone more if:
- The notifications system finally gets overhauled
- Apple puts a bigger screen (4.0 inches) on it
- Dynamic syncing. This is a bit of a wider issue, but it would be nice if my iTunes library and my iPhone were in constant sync. So if I change a playlist on my Mac that is set to sync to my iPhone, it just pushes the new content to the phone over the air.
- Stereo speakers. The speaker in the 4 is a million times better than the 3G/3GS, but just put stereo speakers in there, a lot of people would appreciate it.
- Make the back from a metal. Not this crazy Liquidmetal stuff, but maybe use the rear plate as an antenna, in a similar way as to how the antenna works on the 4.
- 64GB option. I finally moved up to a 32GB iPhone, and I already am lusting after a 64GB option.
- Make it thinner. Bring it down to 6mm and i'll be happy.

dpearman
15th August 2010, 12:50 PM
Wireless syncing would be great the ability to dump files and share like in mac os

torana355
15th August 2010, 03:27 PM
The Bluetooth was not limited to bloody wireless headsets ect. I want the option of transferring files over bluetooth like every other phone on the market!!!

LithgowLights
15th August 2010, 03:29 PM
It only does that if you don't use separate logins on the PC, set up some user accounts. PC's aren't meant to be used with a single user account.

Ahh but there is only 1 user of the PC - me. As it's in the loungeroom my wife (Who uses the iPhone for all her computing needs) uses it to charge & sunch games on. My 11yo daughter uses it to transfer music from out extensive library & charge her iPod touch every few days. I use it for the iPad and my iPhone.

The wife and I share a contact list, as 90% would be wanted by both of us anyway, and the calendar is used for us both to know my shifts, common dates of interest etc. It's just occasionally if I have an appointment, or put a reminder in the calenday I want it left on the one device and not shared with the rest (Or if it is shared, only set the alarm on the selected device if I choose it)

bennyling
15th August 2010, 04:26 PM
Would be better if
a) notifications were more <gasp> android like
b) IR transfer
c) a notification light

IR transfer?

But... why?

thinkquick
15th August 2010, 07:05 PM
I want to control my TV + stuff with my iPhone.
Shutter button (volume?)
Easy on light (flashlight) (via a button?)
Easy on camera (via a button?).
File transfer to other phones over bluetooth
A find-on-this-page option in Safari
LOUD in-built ring tones.
more 'modes' than just silent and not silent
shortcuts to turn on and off settings
and more.. must go afk..

iJohn
15th August 2010, 07:21 PM
Bluetooth sending to other phones! Changing ringtones and SMS tones easier!! Louder speaker!!

iGobbleoff
15th August 2010, 07:22 PM
lockscreen info
status bar info

gikku
15th August 2010, 07:24 PM
My iPhones would be better if Apple provided security updates for iOS3 for 2G and 3G iPhones.:(

Chief911
15th August 2010, 08:20 PM
Better design, bigger screen-no change since 2007 same look.

Better Design, are you nuts?

iFanboy
15th August 2010, 08:30 PM
Better Design, are you nuts?

9/11 was an inside job, are you nuts?

Kuma
22nd August 2010, 02:38 PM
IR transfer?

But... why?

because everybody's phone in Japan has it.
and
then I could control my TV too.

dekco
22nd August 2010, 03:36 PM
Wireless syncing would be great the ability to dump files and share like in mac os

Check out WiFi Sync. You will need to jailbreak your iphone to have this enabled tho.

Nismac
27th August 2010, 02:28 PM
Using it as a remote for the telly would be awesome. Also if when using zoom on camere the picture quality stayed the same.

Seakip
27th August 2010, 03:39 PM
My iPhone would be better if:
the proximity sensor worked properly;
it had a less obtrusive notification system like Palm's webOS;
it worked underwater;
it was scratch, shatter and shock proof.

Yes, better notifications are needed. Wanting it to work underwater is stupid, imagine the bulk it would add. Scratch and shatter proof would be nice and I believe a proximity sensor fix it coming shortly.

Balthazar
27th August 2010, 03:48 PM
Smudge proof screen
File system storage (that could read/write/sync to dropbox)
Louder speaker
Lockscreen info
USB (With full support for usb peripherals - storage, keybaords etc..)

(Im think more for the iPad than the iPhone for these actually)

Fitshaced
27th August 2010, 04:00 PM
I really like the idea of using the iPhone as a tv remote.

Most of the ideas mentioned on this page are good. The Iphone 4 as it is, basically cuts out many other devices we would use or saves us hassle/time for plenty of things. They're clearly heading in the right direction.

In the next 5 years, I would like my iphone X to work as a HD compatible projector which could project any movie I have stored on it

Japester
27th August 2010, 04:10 PM
I really like the idea of using the iPhone as a tv remote. ...

I hate that idea. A remote function is a critical function. You must be able to start, stop and adjust volume instantly at any time. Using a multifunction device can get in the way. For example, I was playing something on my Mac connected to my TV. I was using Air Mouse as a remote. I had no other input devices connected. The iPhone rang. I couldn't stop the computer because the remote app was quit and it was playing too loud to pick up the phone, so I had to reject the call.

Also, consider this: you've been using your iPhone all day and it's on 20% charge. Is that going to last all evening?

I like Apple's remote app and I think this is the best direction to go in, but I want a dedicated screened device to do the job, not a multifunction one.

Fitshaced
27th August 2010, 04:21 PM
I hate that idea. A remote function is a critical function. You must be able to start, stop and adjust volume instantly at any time. Using a multifunction device can get in the way. For example, I was playing something on my Mac connected to my TV. I was using Air Mouse as a remote. I had no other input devices connected. The iPhone rang. I couldn't stop the computer because the remote app was quit and it was playing too loud to pick up the phone, so I had to reject the call.

Also, consider this: you've been using your iPhone all day and it's on 20% charge. Is that going to last all evening?

I like Apple's remote app and I think this is the best direction to go in, but I want a dedicated screened device to do the job, not a multifunction one.
It wouldn't necessarily have to replace your tv remote but handy to have when you can afford to have your phone in airplane mode for 2 hours. It could mean not having to juggle with 2 or 3 other remotes.

Japester
27th August 2010, 04:25 PM
It wouldn't necessarily have to replace your tv remote but handy to have when you can afford to have your phone in airplane mode for 2 hours. It could mean not having to juggle with 2 or 3 other remotes.

I'd like to be able to buy a dedicated remote that had the same features as the Apple Remote app, or even more. You could use an iPhone, iPod Touch or dedicated remote. I wouldn't think that a cheap Apple TV could include a screened remote, so an optional peripheral could be necessary.

I also don't like the idea of using my iPad as a remote, because I use it to surf while watching TV. Jumping back and forth between apps would be a major pain.

binglee
27th August 2010, 04:53 PM
custom SMS tones. better notifications on the lock screen (like some of the Jailbreak apps, missed calls, number of unread messages, etc). more notifications in the status bar (unread messages etc). more bluetooth support. usb hard drive. a todo list with alarms. week view on calendar.

mac_man_luke
27th August 2010, 04:53 PM
The iphone would be better if the camera worked properly and the led flash didnt cause all kinds of lens flare

binglee
27th August 2010, 05:20 PM
Apple - iPhone - Feedback (http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html)

Lets tell Apple again, and again.. Hopefully they will listen at some point.