PDA

View Full Version : Ibook Clamshell 366 Weird Noise?

Reece
29th September 2005, 06:06 PM
I just bought an ibook clamshell 366 from Ebay and while it works fine, it makes a bit of a strange sound when it is in use. It's sort of a high pitched kind of metallic noise.

Obviously all computers make a certain amount of noise when in use, but this seems a bit unusual.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be? I was wondering if it was hard drive but as I know pretty much nothing about noises computers make, that assumption is pretty much a shot in the dark. Like I said, the ibook works great, it's just the weird noise that's the issue.

Thanks!

Reece

LCGuy
29th September 2005, 06:14 PM
Can you make a recording of it? It might be the hard drive on its way out...

Reece
29th September 2005, 06:30 PM
Nope. No can do on the recording.

The good news: I am possibly right about the noise being the hard drive.

The bad news: Being right will cost money in the form of a new hard drive.

If it is the hard drive on the way out, does anyone know what sort of hard drive I should get to replace it?

Thanks.

applecollector
29th September 2005, 06:38 PM
The largest and fastest you can afford!

Reece
29th September 2005, 06:43 PM
*lol*

I don't really want a huge or really fast hard drive - I plan on using the ibook just for typing my thesis and a bit of web surfing.

Here's a stupid question (like I said, I don't know much about these things) but are there certain types of hard drives that will fit into a clamshell ibook? I suspect there is, so how am I supposed to know which ones will fit/work?

I hate asking these sorts of questions...there's so much room to look like a complete idiot when you don't know what you're talking about!

macman_99
29th September 2005, 07:05 PM
almost everyone here has asked a question that they think is stupid, look at most of my posts, but we'd have nothing to do all day if they weren't there:p

as far as i know, and anyone else is free to correct me, but i think that the clamshell ibooks use a generic 2.5" disk, and most computer stores will sell those, i.e.msy (http://www.msy.com.au) . that's not really the hard part, if you have got a friend or person you might know who has some experience with computers, you might want to get them to install it, if you don't know how, or if you can afford it, go to your local apple store and the should be able to do it. I don't recommend doing it yourself unless you know what your doing, or are prepared to lose the laptop.

possibly someone might know of a place with a walkthrough of changing hard disk drives for that laptop?

have fun with the new comp! :D

just attached pic of the drive you should look at, about $100

mac_man_luke
29th September 2005, 07:33 PM
http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/49.13.0.html

Currawong
29th September 2005, 08:43 PM
After a while, the bearings on HD's wear out, and they become seriously noisy. That's very likely what the noise is.

Edge
30th September 2005, 12:32 AM
The iBook is not hte easiest thing to take apart, to replace the hard drive, but with a little patience and care it is manageable. The iBook will not accept 2.5" HDs above a certain height i.e. some drives are taller than others. Make sure to compare the replacement with the original if possible.

Also, I recall my iBook making odd noises when the screen was dimmed. Try changing the screen brightness to see if the noise changes.

Reece
30th September 2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks a lot for the info! I'm glad stupid questions are welcome. After all, if I'd asked a stupid question before I overfilled the oil in my car, I could have avoided all that black smoke.

I don't think I'm quite brave enough to try replacing it myself, but my brother in law can do it for me (I'll force him).

Okay, so get a 2.5" hard drive, but not one that is too tall. There isn't much chance of me being able to compare them, so I guess it might work if I ask whoever I buy the hard drive from if they think it will fit.

Then I'll pray and hope for the best.

Thanks again!

c3017474
30th September 2005, 02:16 PM
There's a topic on the MacAddict forums here (http://www.macaddict.com/forums/topic/60868/2) that says that 8 and 9.5 mm high drives will fit, but 12 mm ones won't. That way you can get an idea of whether it will fit without having to compare it to the old one. Hope that helps

Nick

LCGuy
30th September 2005, 02:38 PM
IIRC, aren't most modern 2.5" hard drives 9.5mm or smaller?

Reece
30th September 2005, 03:00 PM
I've found one, and a helpful person at the Apple reseller centre told me that the HD has to be less than 4200rpm or it will burn out the processor or something that sounded like the word "processor".

The have one (40G) for $150 and will install for $66. I called another place and they wanted $175 for 30G and $120 to install. I made a "how expensive" sort of noise and he became hostile and aggressive when I told him the quote form the other place and started huffing and puffing with "Are they an experienced Apple tech? Because if they aren't they won't be able to do it" blah blah woof woof. He sort of shut up when I said "Yeah, the tech works for what is apparently the biggest Apple re-sellers in Perth". End of phone call.

If I were willing to risk installing myself I guess I could save myself a little cash, but I don't actually think its worth the risk - especially since I don't have original disks and oh yeah, I don't really know what I'm doing.

Thanks again for your help everyone!

Byrd
30th September 2005, 03:19 PM
I've found 5400RPM drives are no hotter than 4200RPM drives, but $66 for installation is a good price, and $150 for the 40GB is fair (although new ones from any PC store are about ~ $110). Typically it takes 1 - 2 hours to take a Clamshell apart, you have to remove about 30 differently sized screws and 'snap' off plastic surrounds before getting to the hard disk.

Don't worry about the 2.5" drive height - all drives sold now are 9.5mm or less. Previously there were 12mm high drives, but these have since been phased out.

While you're at it, get the tech to install a 256 or 512MB RAM stick into your Clamshell.

JB