PDA

View Full Version : Help! Data usage through the roof

EightDJ
12th August 2010, 06:30 PM
Hey everyone, I am with Optus and recently got the iPhone 4 direct from Apple.

For some reason, Optus thinks I have downloaded ~300Mb this month (my quota is only 250Mb for the rest of the month, then I'm on the extreme cap) - but I am arguing there is no way I could possibly have downloaded that much.

When I checked my online account with Optus, their system claims that at 4:04am EST I downloaded 45Mb of 'Social Internet' - which just does not make sense to me because A) I was at home asleep and B) my phone connects to my wireless internet at home.

I called Optus and they said that social internet included apps like Facebook and eBay which are the only two out of their list I have installed on my phone - but I can't see how these apps could have somehow accessed the 3G internet and downloaded 45Mb in one whack while I was asleep and while my phone was connected to my wireless internet.

To make it worse, I turned off my cellular data in the settings of my phone 2 days ago, but apparently (according to optus) I downloaded 7.5Mb this morning! :confused:

Does anyone know what could be causing this to happen? Is it just that Optus's systems are utter shite and are misrecording my data usage? Or could my phone have a virus on it? Or maybe a dodgy app? The only dodgy looking app I've downloaded is Words Free with Friends - could it be that?

Any help/tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Jivesucka
12th August 2010, 09:57 PM
I got hit with a similar thing in May 2009.
I was interstate & according to my bill I downloaded a few hundred megabytes with my iPhone 3G at 5am while I was asleep & connected to a wireless network.

500GB would've taken roughly week & a half at Optus 3G speeds back then (Is it better now? Not using my phone for data much).
I figured it was dodgy Optus towers getting creative (or perhaps the Evil Monkey) & haven't chased it up yet, but I've got the standard 700 page monthly Optus bill for May '09 near the phone & ready to go for when I switch to Telstra.

If it's any relief, it hasn't happened since then. So hopefully your nightmare has ended.

Good luck with your Optus arm-wrestle. Let us know how it goes.

3rdeye1111
12th August 2010, 11:18 PM
Had the same issue two months ago with Optus. My account was showing a ridiculous amount of data used over the Month (850mb) when every previous month it was 100 - 300 with my cap being 500mb.

Anyway, called them up, refused to pay it stating it was impossible that I could have downloaded anything that large. Carried on a bit but it saved me forking out for a $250 bill.

I say call them back and flat out refuse to pay it stating all those facts. They will have no choice but to credit your account if you do it right.

Fitshaced
13th August 2010, 09:33 AM
Not sure if I'm correct, but I think the wireless connection is only active whent he phone is in use, as in when you have it on and using it manually. 3G is on when the screen is of and possibly polling email. Can see facebook doing something outrageous on its own though. My Optus account shows my usage as 3% of data but yesterday it showed 60%. It also says the rollover to the next bill is in 19 days. Looks like they are getting hit with mistakes big time with changing to new plans.

EightDJ
13th August 2010, 10:34 AM
Not sure if I'm correct, but I think the wireless connection is only active whent he phone is in use, as in when you have it on and using it manually. 3G is on when the screen is of and possibly polling email. Can see facebook doing something outrageous on its own though. My Optus account shows my usage as 3% of data but yesterday it showed 60%. It also says the rollover to the next bill is in 19 days. Looks like they are getting hit with mistakes big time with changing to new plans.

It's something to consider but I think it would be a major flaw on Apple's part and would have caused a huge amount of fluster amongst iPhone users by now. I'd have to say in my experience the wireless icon is always there when I wake my phone. I'd have to assume it's connected because if it was on 3G - the 3G icon should appear for a brief moment while the phone re-authenticates with the wireless router and gets an IP address.

I think you are right about Optus messing up with changing the plans over - maybe they are doing something dodgy like doubling the data recorded because they are now giving more than double the quota with the extreme caps...

@ 3rdeye1111 - thanks for the advice - I have turned off my cellular data for the the rest of the month :( - 6 days left - just in case, but I will still fight them about it and try and get a good chunk off my bill. Bloody Optus.