View Full Version : How to connect 2 macs via Ethernet cable,please?

12th August 2010, 04:33 PM
Could someone, please, help me with necessary steps for connecting 2 macs via Ethernet cable?

One Mac is older iMac PowerPC running on X 10.3.9
and the other is MacBook pro Intel based, running on X 10.6.

I am new to Mac and any plain English instructions are much appreciated!

Thanks fellow Mac users!


12th August 2010, 04:45 PM
1x ethernet cable. Both machines set to DHCP in system prefs -> network -> ethernet.

they should be smart enough to figure it out themselves (the mac's)

12th August 2010, 04:48 PM
Ok. All I've ever done, is

Plug cable into the two computers.

Next, open a new window in the Finder. Depending on the OS, there will be an option on the side for "Network", or "Shared". Click on there, and it should show you the computer you're connected to.

There'll be a "Connect" button. Click that, enter user name and password (as per the computer you are connecting to), and then it'll ask what you want to access - just the hard drive, the user folder, etc, plus any other external drives that may be attached.

12th August 2010, 07:10 PM
Wow. I never thought of that.
I thought that was like typing Google into google....baaaad.

12th August 2010, 07:21 PM

12th August 2010, 08:17 PM
Here is a thought - aren't you supposed to use a cross over cable (the one with red RJ45s) in this situation, ie without a server??

Mind you I'm working (at work) with PC based black boxes which need a cros over type cable.

Ultimately, the colour of the cable is irrelevant. Network cables come in all sorts of different colours and there's not really any standard as to what colour means what.

It's moderately common for a blue cable to be a standard network cable and a red one to be a crossover cable but I wouldn't rely on that to be the case - I'd check the actual pin assignments on the RJ45 connectors instead to be sure.

You'll need a crossover cable if you're going direct from one computer to another. Doesn't matter if one's a server and one's a desktop or whatever. There are other situations (becoming less common as network infrastructure gets smarter) where you'll also need crossover cables.

As soon as you add a switch, or a router that has built-in switch, you use standard network cables (often called patch leads) instead. For most people, most of the time, you'll be using patch leads.

black painter
13th August 2010, 08:33 PM
you can use standard cables. the network cards to use a type of card that detects if its connected to another computer or a switch. I would anyway use a crossover cable. There are a good bit of kit to have.

15th August 2010, 11:13 AM
I have never used a cross-over cable and the plug and play option works fine