PDA

View Full Version : Slow Mail

Jimbo1635
29th September 2005, 01:30 AM
O.K., can I have a show of hands as to who thinks Mail.app is 10 times slower in Tiger than it was in any other previous release of OSX? What used to take seconds now takes up to 10 minutes on this dog of server. Any ideas out there? <_<

samuelclarke
29th September 2005, 06:25 AM
I&#39;ve found Mail in 10.4 to be faster than 10.3 with all my email accounts except for the .mac one, which is taking longer.

sputnik1
29th September 2005, 07:35 AM
Yep, I&#39;ve certainly found Mail to be REALLY slow when fetching new mail / interacting with the mail server, but just like samuelclarke said, only for my .mac mail account. Sometimes it will even just hang there.

My bigpond mail account works as slick as ever with Mail in 10.4. Seems like it could be a problem with the .mac mail server or something - but I am only guessing??

symean
29th September 2005, 08:28 AM
Well I switched to Maili from Eudora after the last three years, mainly because I wanted the integration with Address Book, and hence, iCal and other apps.

I had about 45,000 messages plus attachments, I think it was about 3Gb worth all up.

After the schmozzle of importing it all into Mail (required 3rd party utility to do it correctly and maintain links to attachments), I used it for a few weeks in 10.3, then upgraded to 10.4 and I did notice a slowdown. Overall, Mail is generally slower than Eudora, especially in searching. Now, it&#39;s a leap ahead of Entourage which is abominably dismal in searching, but hopefully Apple will contionue to improve it.

neilrobinson
29th September 2005, 08:41 AM
im happy with it - at home having 1x POP and 1xIMAP, at work with a POP account over the internal lan its fine. It does tend to slow searches down down when you mailboxes get bigger thou (mine are about 30gb&#39;s)

neil