PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking iphone 3gs

Nismac
11th August 2010, 12:44 PM
Hi guys just wanted to know if I can unlock my 3gs from Optus as I'm off contract now and would like to go to Vodafone pre paid.

Alec Fraser
11th August 2010, 12:50 PM
Yes, you can. You will need to contact Optus to get the unlock put through. There's probably be a charge for unlocking...no idea what that is though.

Nismac
11th August 2010, 12:54 PM
Well their customer service is absolutely terrible and I'd rather not spend 2 hours on the phone to them today, any other way at all or do I have to go through the pain of calling them.

Alec Fraser
11th August 2010, 01:12 PM
Go into a store?

karter
11th August 2010, 04:48 PM
Yes, you can. You will need to contact Optus to get the unlock put through. There's probably be a charge for unlocking...no idea what that is though.

If the iPhone was purchased from Optus on a plan, there shouldnt be a unlocking charge..pretty sure thats right, just suss it out

Exocet
11th August 2010, 10:16 PM
Well their customer service is absolutely terrible and I'd rather not spend 2 hours on the phone to them today, any other way at all or do I have to go through the pain of calling them.

Lets call it a trade off - you can call them, or not...but you'll only get your phone unlocked if you do.

Nismac
12th August 2010, 06:20 PM
What about something like this?

iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G Using UltraSn0w (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253)

Or this?

https://usd.swreg.org/cgi-bin/s.cgi?s=103213&p=103213-1&v=0&d=0&q=1

Exocet
12th August 2010, 09:53 PM
And then you have to wait every time Apple updates iOS to see whether or not it will revert your phone to be locked - potentially many hours of time spent in future.

Or, you could suck it up and go through the 20 minute process to unlock it with Optus officially, which means it remains unlocked - for life - regardless of iOS updates.

dawson1138
13th August 2010, 10:17 AM
i did it last week, easy and free.

You can even do it over the phone without talking to someone!

Nismac
13th August 2010, 12:47 PM
i did it last week, easy and free.

You can even do it over the phone without talking to someone!

This is about the only phone call to Optus I can take lol.
What number do I call?

dawson1138
13th August 2010, 02:38 PM
This is about the only phone call to Optus I can take lol.
What number do I call?

lol. Its just the 133713 number.

You need your IMEI NUMBER on you to type in. After the call you have to plug it into itunes and restore. After the restore a little note in itunes shows up to say it is now unlocked.