PDA

View Full Version : Ram from Msy etc

mantaray
11th August 2010, 11:45 AM
I have noticed that shops like MSY etc sell 2 gig sticks of Sodimm DDr3 cheaper than many online stores( even more so when you add postage), but is it compatible with macbook pro's.
Don't want to get it, to save $30 or so, and find it doesn't work properly( boy I sound so cheapskate when I read it back:unsure:)
Looked at the forums but most want 3/4 of new price for their replaced ram, and you get no warranty. ( I am cheap)

twombles_62
11th August 2010, 12:01 PM
I have noticed that shops like MSY etc sell 2 gig sticks of Sodimm DDr3 cheaper than many online stores( even more so when you add postage), but is it compatible with macbook pro's.
Don't want to get it, to save $30 or so, and find it doesn't work properly( boy I sound so cheapskate when I read it back:unsure:)
Looked at the forums but most want 3/4 of new price for their replaced ram, and you get no warranty. ( I am cheap)

There's plenty of into on RAM around. Yes, MSY's RAM is compatible, it's made by the same brands, I don't think your macbook is biased against particular shops.

I don't know how hard it is to replace the RAM in the new MBP but you can put the old ram back in before you take it back to Apple if you need it looked at.

arkenstone
11th August 2010, 12:33 PM
You get warranty with anything you buy from a store in Australia. It's called "implied warranty" and is part of Australia's consumer laws. It applies separate to and over and above any retailer or manufacturer warranty. It even applies to second hand goods.

This is part of the reason I think paying extra for warranty support (such as Apple care) is a fucking scam.

That said, you're likely to have less drama and less of a fight if you buy it from somewhere other than MSY (Personally I refuse to shop at MSY).

Check out PC DIY and of course the podcast sponsor RamCity.com.au - I'd recommend them way way before MSY even if they were 10% more expensive, but don't be afraid to shop from anywhere because an item comes with "no warranty"

jesse
11th August 2010, 12:41 PM
MSY is worth going to for an opposite of the Apple store retail experience. Quite often they're mysteriously out of stock (don't ask when it'll be back in stock either) and you normally have to wait in line for the sweaty excited geek (and normally a parent) in front of you to reconcile a each component of his brand new DIY uber gaming rig purchase.

Also - call ahead, take cash.

StoneWolf
11th August 2010, 01:12 PM
Sorry to hijack the topic but the OP’s original question seems pretty well answered.

To touch on something arkenstone has said about Apple Care and the implied warranty laws within Australia’s Trade Practices Act 1974.

It seems to be that the implied warranty is a safeguard to consumers to protect them from fraud or scams. As an example; being sold a rake that is promised to magically transport the operator though the sky and of course less farfetched schemes. The principle of the warranty is that the product or goods sold is fit for the purpose it was sold for.

Since Apple Care and most other additional warranties activate after an initial warranty period. It would be hard to claim a product isn’t fit for purpose if it has already served that purpose for n number of months or years. At no point in the implied warranty is duration of expected purpose given.

So while I agree that products sold within Australia come with a guarantee they’ll do what they have been claimed to do. If you can’t discredit the product of not being able to do what it was sold to do, upon instantly attaining the product then you’ll likely be on your own.

It seems the price of a product has a bearing on its expected duration, If goods fail to reach a basic level of quality (considering the price of the goods) – that is they are defective, break, or do not do what they should do – then the TPA has been breached.

It raises the question how look is an MBP expected to last performing its basic level of expected purpose? I guess given it cost; three years wouldn’t be unreasonable. So there might be some credit in arkenstone original claim. Thought you’d likely need to get Trade Practice lawyers involved to fight your claim. These costs would probably surpass the cost of both Apple Care and the actual repair cost of any faulty part or machine.