PDA

View Full Version : macbook air display problem

smithster
10th August 2010, 08:24 PM
G'day, adjusted my bigpond stick as per the new instructions today (10/8/2010) and everything worked well but the machine took ages to shutdown (>10mins). i forced a shutdown and rebooted and noticed my display has lost resolution? Resorted to the leopard aurora wallpaper, and it appears as a low res. shot. Tried other wallpapers including photos, with the same result. Have tried calibration, appearance etc. with no effect.
I notice now that when I shrink this window the display appears normal, but within about 1 second reverts to a low res. shot again.
WTF?
This is a leased machine, and I have time machine back up.
Any suggestions?

smithster
10th August 2010, 09:30 PM
curiouser and curiouser! The wallpaper (leopard aurora) now appears to be going into supernova!
As I shrink safari (this page) the aurora image bleeds into a plasma appearance.
This is weird and most un-apple-like!
This is an SSD and has been looked after like a prem baby.

Brains
11th August 2010, 07:47 PM
The graphics chip is failing, and it's overdriving the LCD.

Your baby needs to see an Apple doctor, stat.

smithster
12th August 2010, 02:38 PM
I suspected that! Problems with NVIDIA chipsets...
Apple support not really that helpful, they gave some good advice, that unfortunately didn't work, and cost me $59!

She's still under warranty, but being in regional QLD I'll hafta send her away.

Many thanks for your reply, I've found this site very helpful over the years.

I'll post any results to continue this valuable website.

glacierdave
12th August 2010, 08:57 PM
Depends on which bit of regional QLD really - there are authorised repairers other than Apple themselves. All of us have to do certification exams and meet certain requirements for workshop fitout and the like.

Check out Apple Australia - Where to Service - Authorised Service Providers (http://store.apple.com.au/buy/service/) to find your nearest repairer - just enter your postcode and it'll do the rest.

Not saying you won't have to send it away but you never know - there looks to be about 30 repairers other than Apple themselves in QLD - many of them in regional areas.

smithster
26th August 2010, 11:10 PM
Now fixed, turns out the screen was u/s, but the logic board was replaced also...good repair tho', didn't take long considering I'm in the bush.

This is my first apple that played up...

4 months left of warranty...will I get the applecare?

Once bitten and all that...

Brains
27th August 2010, 10:24 PM
Highly advise getting AppleCare. Considering the less-than-stellar quality of components that go into all electronic devices these days (not just Apple's) getting the extended warranty is almost mandatory.