PDA

View Full Version : Protools Card And Notebooks

[mArk]
28th September 2005, 05:06 PM
I am looking to get a notebook, either a ibook or powerbook G4. I would like to use protools on it and am wondering if it is possible to have the card that is currently in the G4 tower put into a notebook.

Any information is helpful.

Regards,

Mark.

Disko
28th September 2005, 05:09 PM
Which protools hardware are you planning on using? Everything uses firewire or ethernet from digidesign these days (i thought).

[mArk]
28th September 2005, 05:23 PM
It's 001 (i think). the actual digidesign protools interface is a seperate unit, the audio signal runs into this unit and thats connected to the computer via a cable

I have attached a picture...where it says "computer" that is the cable which then runs to the same input type in the card in the computer.

Mark.

Disko
28th September 2005, 05:27 PM
Are you sure that'll work with Tiger for a start? I remember hearing about Tiger having trouble with that version of Protools...

Regardless of that - you'd have to find some sort of PCI (or is it scsi?) interface for it. I'll have a trawl through the digidesign website to see if there is a way.

[mArk]
28th September 2005, 05:36 PM
if you could that'd be great. i hadn't heard anything about it being a problem using it with Tiger...i was more concerned about the modular aspects.

thanks for you help so far...

[mArk]
28th September 2005, 05:54 PM
from the digi website...

" Pro Tools LE 6.4 for Mac OS X 10.3 is the last version that supports Digi 001 hardware. Pro Tools LE 6.4 is not compatible with Mac OS X v10.4 (Tiger)."

would it be worth running 10.3 on the notebook?

Mark.

p.s - yes, it is PCI

Disko
28th September 2005, 06:10 PM
Panther wont run on a brand new powerbook, and ibooks don't have a PCMCIA slot. So if you want a portable solution, you'll need one of these (http://www.mobl.com/expansion/products/cardbus_expansion/1slot/index.html) and a powerbook running panther.

Once you've solved that issue - a new one arises in the speed of the laptop HD. It will run at either 5400rpm or 4200rpm - i suggest you get an external Firewire Hard Drive that runs faster at 7200rpm for multitrack audio recording. Oh, and plenty of ram.

[mArk]
28th September 2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Sep 28 2005, 06:10 PM
Panther wont run on a brand new powerbook, and ibooks don't have a PCMCIA slot. So if you want a portable solution, you'll need one of these (http://www.mobl.com/expansion/products/cardbus_expansion/1slot/index.html) and a powerbook running panther.
do you mean ibook running panther?

Disko
28th September 2005, 06:26 PM
No. An iBook doesn't have PCMCIA, so it wont work with the external PCI card holder thingo.
You'll need a powerbook made before Tiger's release date to run Panther i'm afraid.

edit: if you already have an ibook, i'd suggest that it'd be cheaper upgrading to a Digi002 (which connects via firewire) and using that.

[mArk]
28th September 2005, 06:39 PM
thanks for all your help disko, you've shed stacks of light for me. i don't already have a notebook...i am just tired of taking the g4 tower with me when i need to move the gear between places.

so my best bet would be:

Getting a Powerbook, pre-tiger, OS 10.3
An Extenal Firewire Hard Drive @ 7200rpm
A Bus PCI Expantion System

or

iBook and upgrading to 002.

does that sound about right?

Disko
28th September 2005, 06:43 PM
Yep thats right - except you'll still need a faster hard drive for the 2nd option if you're doing some multitrack stuff, so an external would be a good idea as well. Keeping in mind, a powerbook is also an option instead of an ibook as well.

bassmanbliss
28th September 2005, 07:26 PM
If you are looking for something similar to the 001 you have I would have a look at the Mbox2. www.musiclab.com.au and www.digidesign.com. I have.

You can always go to the 002/002 Rack but the new mbox looks pretty good and comes under $1000 but of course you get a lot more i/o in a 002/002 rack.

I have an original Mbox and it is a great little unit, still yet to try and Mbox2 but everything I have heard is positive.

Hope that helps.

noisypoppy
28th September 2005, 08:20 PM
go with the Mbox, it's the portable equivalent of the Digi001 I have one I use with my 17" powerbook
there is an update for pro tools which makes it compatible with tiger, I installed it and it runs great.