PDA

View Full Version : iMac gets slower and slower

KatS
10th August 2010, 03:08 PM
Hi, hoping someone can help.

I've got an iMac that I got at the end of 2007 with Tiger OS, and 1Mb of Ram. I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard, and about a month later replaced the 1Mb with 4Mb of Ram. When I first switch the iMac on, it runs fine - but after half an hour to an hour, it starts to slow down, until after a few hours I get frustrated and reboot. The activity monitor doesn't show any program using a lot of real or virtual memory.

I generally have firefox, photoshop, quark, acrobat and often illustrator open most of the time, and I know that the Adobe software in particular use a lot of RAM. But why does it start out okay, and then deteriorate?

The only clue I have, is since upgrading to Snow Leopard, Spotlight seems to be permanently indexing.

Thanks
Kat

mmulhern
10th August 2010, 03:15 PM
With that kind of software load, I'm not surprised. What surprises me, is that you do all this with only 4MB of RAM, per chance it is actually 4GB ;)

Photoshop et al, will hammer your RAM, but how many tabs due have open at any one time in Firefox? That can be a load on the system.

DagrtheSnide
10th August 2010, 03:16 PM
Mb < Gb

Is it over heating, fans coming on ?

b00
10th August 2010, 03:19 PM
Do you use spotlight alot? How full is your HDD or have you recently added alot of files? You could try turning off spotlight and see if that's the fix.

-b00

torana355
10th August 2010, 03:34 PM
Did you do a fresh install of Snow Leopard or an upgrade?? The best way to get your imac running perfect is to back up your data and do a fresh install of Snow Leopard, then reinstall all your programs from scratch. It may take a bit of time but it will be like new after you are done.

KatS
10th August 2010, 03:55 PM
What surprises me, is that you do all this with only 4MB of RAM, per chance it is actually 4GB
[blush] whoops!

No fan action, so not overheating. I recently cleared a lot off the harddrive onto an external drive.

Think I'll have to bite the bullet and do a fresh install of snow leopard.

thanks for the help everyone - I'm fairly new to Macs still and although I love them over windows OS, I'm sometimes out of my depth.

auspad
10th August 2010, 04:24 PM
hey, just do a quick test, run all your programs except photoshop and see if it slows down as much, or at all. just running photoshop and light room on my 2010 macbook makes it lag little, and it has 4gb of ram.

Rust
10th August 2010, 04:39 PM
Maybe this will help...

Get an awesome little app called CleanMyMac

CleanMyMac - Enjoy your clean Mac with just a few clicks! (http://macpaw.com/)

This app will go through and clean things like Cache, Logs, Junk, Universal Binaries etc...
I did this and still do run this on all my Macs and everytime i do it, they speed up immensely (also they free up heaps of space on them).

- - e r i k - -
13th August 2010, 01:08 PM
Firefox is a dog. Try Safari maybe? :P

jdagis
14th August 2010, 11:07 AM
Unless he's recently fixed it, be careful using cleanmymac as I bought it after a referral from one our members, and it caused me no end of problems. Google it in and you'll get the picture.