PDA

View Full Version : iPhone vs. Optus - Data Discrepancy

tom_mclean
10th August 2010, 02:51 PM
Hi all,

I wasn't sure where to post this, or if a similar thread exists, so feel free to close/move it.

My iPhone says that I have used 250mb (23mb out, 227mb in) of data, which is fine. I am on a plan with 2gb of included data.

But when I sign into my account on the Optus site, it says I have used 69mb. It also says it was last updated 1 minute ago.

Now I know that at least one person will say, it hasn't gone through to Optus yet. This isn't the case, the data has never been as high as it has on the iPhone.

And another person will say its Pro-Rata, which also isn't the case because I've had my first bill.

There is a similar thread on Whirlpool but the o.p. never reveals what the problem was.

So, I'm just wondering, does anyone else experience this or know a reason/fix for it?

TYIA - Tom

Balthazar
10th August 2010, 02:59 PM
All i can say is dont trust the iPhone's data counter... it is rarely ever accurate.

mac_man_luke
10th August 2010, 03:19 PM
remember the iphone counter counts wifi data...

Balthazar
10th August 2010, 03:24 PM
remember the iphone counter counts wifi data...

No it doesn't, It is clearly labelled "Cellular Network Data"

NeoRicen
10th August 2010, 03:34 PM
The phone's counter doesn't reset monthly. It's what you've used total.

torana355
10th August 2010, 03:35 PM
The phone's counter doesn't reset monthly. It's what you've used total.

Yep you have to manually reset it on your billing date.

Fitshaced
10th August 2010, 03:37 PM
If the iPhone is correct, I'm in big trouble :p on my 250mb plan.

It does seem to include wifi traffic too though.

337mb sent

2.2gig received since purchase on release day.

torana355
10th August 2010, 04:01 PM
It does seem to include wifi traffic too though.

No it 100% does not include WiFi. I reset the counter then downloaded about 5mb of apps and the data counter did not move from 36kb sent and 63kb received.

Fitshaced
10th August 2010, 04:15 PM
No it 100% does not include WiFi. I reset the counter then downloaded about 5mb of apps and the data counter did not move from 36kb sent and 63kb received.
Do the same with 3g and see if it updates straight away

torana355
10th August 2010, 04:25 PM
Do the same with 3g and see if it updates straight away

Yep just did it with 3g and data jumped to 2.3mb received. 100% only counts 3g data.

Zanorath
10th August 2010, 05:19 PM
Remember that Optus's plans have unlimited Social networking, so if you are an avid Facebook user, that could be where a lot of your data is going. The iPhone would still count it though, even though Optus doesn't. That's my guess.

Zanorath
10th August 2010, 05:21 PM
Although, just looking now the iPhone thinks I've sent 453MB and received 1.5GB, whereas Optus says 227MB total. I do use Facebook a fair bit, but not 1.2GB worth… Something funny is going on. Maybe its a glitch and it is counting WiFi?

tom_mclean
10th August 2010, 06:26 PM
To the people that said I have to reset it monthly, this is my first month. My pre-first bill pro-rata period has finished and I am in the middle of a full billing cycle.

Balthazar
11th August 2010, 07:57 AM
To the people that said I have to reset it monthly, this is my first month. My pre-first bill pro-rata period has finished and I am in the middle of a full billing cycle.

What did it say on the first day you got it? was it 0MB / 0MB ?

It may have been reporting a figure from factory testing? probably not but hey, might be worth a thought?

tom_mclean
11th August 2010, 11:07 AM
I can't say I checked when I first got it.. It could be from factory testing, because it doesn't go up an insane amount every time I use it. It goes up the same amount that is charged to my bill.

leon
11th August 2010, 12:03 PM
If you restored your iPhone from a backup, then it might have the usage from your previous iPhone in there.

tom_mclean
11th August 2010, 12:23 PM
This is my 1st iPhone

EightDJ
12th August 2010, 06:38 PM
If you restored your iPhone from a backup, then it might have the usage from your previous iPhone in there.

I did restore my iPhone 3G into my new iPhone 4 - so that could be something, but my phone was reporting I'd used about 500MB and Optus is saying 301.27MB which I am saying is both wrong because Optus think I used 45MB on 3G at 4am EST while I was asleep and my phone was connected to my wireless internet - something fishy is going on with Optus and their data recording on the iPhone 4... hmmm :confused: