PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 camera problem

mac_man_luke
9th August 2010, 04:50 PM
Hello all

Iv got a problem with my camera on my iphone

when in still mode i get this pattern of purple and green:

Photo of a white wall, looks worse on the computer than the phone.
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7225/photome.jpg (http://img237.imageshack.us/i/photome.jpg/)

Any ideas?

thanks
Luke

Leopard
9th August 2010, 05:07 PM
Have you taken off the lense cap off? ;)

leon
9th August 2010, 05:08 PM
There's another thread on here about the issue. My iP4 does it as well. From googling it appears to be dodgy white balance software. All iP4's seem to do it under fluoro lighting.

MarkW
9th August 2010, 05:48 PM

sectioneight
9th August 2010, 06:19 PM
Yep get the same here - sometimes get wavy lines through the image too

iZuloo
9th August 2010, 08:36 PM
do you guys think they will fix it with the next software update?

mac_man_luke
9th August 2010, 09:00 PM
hmm yea does appear to be white balance problem (just tried under halogen downlights)

Odd that its not consistent over the whole frame

Li_Eon
17th August 2010, 11:16 PM
Same issue here. From what I've been reading, it seems to affect almost all iPhone 4s.

If you pay close attention to the ip4 lens coating, you'll notice that there is a layer of green tint under certain viewing angles. Might this be the cause of the green tint under fluorescent lighting?

I'm a photographer myself and all lenses have some sort of coating over them to reduce glare/improve optical quality but i was just wondering if the coating on the lens might be the culprit?

Cheers.

bennyling
17th August 2010, 11:24 PM
See other thread here: http://forums.mactalk.com.au/31/89847-iphone-4-blue-ish-camera.html

torana355
18th August 2010, 01:02 AM
ALL Iphone 4's do this. The good thing is it still works great under all other lighting conditions, even with a good camera it is not ideal to use fluorescent or LED lighting anyway.

dholms
18th August 2010, 10:47 PM
I've had an issue where the camera preview display stays black until I take a photo, then it shows the photo and goes back to a black screen.

route74
19th August 2010, 09:54 AM
It seems that it doesnt matter how many new features a PHONE gets, people will never be happy!:p

It's a bloody TELEPHONE! ;) If you wanted a camera that does proper white balance then buy a camera. Be thankful that Apple included 2 cameras into such a small package. I think it's a bloody amazing piece of technology!

Yes I have wishes too that it would do certain other things like being able to change SMS tones and using Facetime on 3G but I'm not about to complain about it cos it will either happen eventually or not at all but either way Im am totally happy with what I have in my iP4 and dont expect the world from it!
:happy:

route74
19th August 2010, 09:55 AM
I've had an issue where the camera preview display stays black until I take a photo, then it shows the photo and goes back to a black screen.

Ive put that down to the multitasking. Because the app isopen it cant write to that part of the memory or something but it all comes back when you close them down fully and re open it.

Li_Eon
19th August 2010, 09:56 PM
It seems that it doesnt matter how many new features a PHONE gets, people will never be happy!:p

It's a bloody TELEPHONE! ;) If you wanted a camera that does proper white balance then buy a camera. Be thankful that Apple included 2 cameras into such a small package. I think it's a bloody amazing piece of technology!

Yes I have wishes too that it would do certain other things like being able to change SMS tones and using Facetime on 3G but I'm not about to complain about it cos it will either happen eventually or not at all but either way Im am totally happy with what I have in my iP4 and dont expect the world from it!
:happy:

Its just dissapointing that the iphone 4's camera performs poorly under fluorescent lighting compared to the iphone 3GS AND 3G. Other than that, I'm absolutely pleased with the phone. Antenna problems are barely noticeable.

Li_Eon
21st August 2010, 12:47 AM
Hey guys, back again with an interesting find. Just got a hold on my friend's iphone 4 and it seems that his unit is less affected by the green tint issue.

I managed to take two images under the same lighting condition (fluorescent lighting) and it appears that the image shows significantly less green. On the other hand, the same image taken with my IP4 shows very noticeable green/pink tint.

Friend's IP4: http://a.imageshack.us/img39/2741/photoprh.jpg

My IP4: http://a.imageshack.us/img444/1692/photo1gs.jpg

Now the only difference that i can make is that

1. His phone might be a different manufacturing batch. Mine was 83029XXXXXX and his was 83030XXXXXX.

2. He updated his phone to iOS 4.0.2 and i have not (still 4.0.1).

The only reason why i'm not updating to 4.0.2 is because i have mine jailbroken. Could someone with 4.0.2 verify that the patch fixes this issue?

Comments?

Cheers.

Foxtrot27
21st August 2010, 10:32 AM
My new iPhone 4 definitely has a marked yellowing problem with indoor camera pictures, which happens with both artificial light and even with bright natural light. I think illl have to make a (first time ever for me) genius appt and get it looked at - like, what happens if Apple never acknowledges it as a recognized problem and don't issue a firmware/software fix - then 12 months float by and I'm out of warranty....

Question. I bought my phone on plan through Telstra Chadstone, should I take it back to Telstra or the Apple store (I'm assuming Apple store....)

Thanks, Fox.

Li_Eon
21st August 2010, 11:39 AM
Quick update. Just updated my iPhone to 4.0.2 and the prolem remains. Will try my luck at apple Doncaster and see if i can get a replacement.

torana355
21st August 2010, 11:47 AM
Quick update. Just updated my iPhone to 4.0.2 and the prolem remains. Will try my luck at apple Doncaster and see if i can get a replacement.

lol mate ALL iphone 4's do this just ignore it and be happy with your phone. If you are taking all photos in Florescent lighting you ain't much of a photographer anyway ;)

Li_Eon
21st August 2010, 12:27 PM
lol mate ALL iphone 4's do this just ignore it and be happy with your phone. If you are taking all photos in Florescent lighting you ain't much of a photographer anyway ;)

My mates one does not exhibit the green tint issue. Neither does my 3GS.

torana355
21st August 2010, 12:33 PM
My mates one does not exhibit the green tint issue. Neither does my 3GS.

Well that picture you posted up of your friends ip4 phone DOES have a green tint in the middle!!!! It does not affect the 3GS only the ip4's. Mate do some research ALL the i-Phone 4's have this issue!!!!!

Also the amount of green in the shot will change as the iphones white balance is constantly trying to adjust. Hence why your mates had less green in that shot. Take 10 shots with both phones and it will average out.

Li_Eon
21st August 2010, 01:52 PM
Well that picture you posted up of your friends ip4 phone DOES have a green tint in the middle!!!! It does not affect the 3GS only the ip4's. Mate do some research ALL the i-Phone 4's have this issue!!!!!

Also the amount of green in the shot will change as the iphones white balance is constantly trying to adjust. Hence why your mates had less green in that shot. Take 10 shots with both phones and it will average out.

I have replicated the photos under identical conditions of the same frame. I am 100% sure that his particular unit has less green tint.

I do acknowledge that nearly all iPhone 4's have the issue but I'm just a bit surprised when i saw the results from my friends iPhone. We even facetimed and the green tint was barely visible on his.

Li_Eon
21st August 2010, 02:03 PM
My new iPhone 4 definitely has a marked yellowing problem with indoor camera pictures, which happens with both artificial light and even with bright natural light. I think illl have to make a (first time ever for me) genius appt and get it looked at - like, what happens if Apple never acknowledges it as a recognized problem and don't issue a firmware/software fix - then 12 months float by and I'm out of warranty....

Question. I bought my phone on plan through Telstra Chadstone, should I take it back to Telstra or the Apple store (I'm assuming Apple store....)

Thanks, Fox.

You can take it back to the Apple store :)