PDA

View Full Version : Unable to repair disk using Disk Utility

kt_kez
9th August 2010, 03:26 PM
I'm currently on an early 2009 24" iMac Core 2 Duo, Nvidia 9400m and since installing Adobe Photoshop CS5, I've been having issues with my mac. It otherwise runs well but every time I try to do something in Photoshop it tends to slow down drastically and eat up a lot of free space. Another issue I've encountered is that there appears to be issues with the disk in Disk Utility, which cannot be be repaired.

I've tried using Tech Tool Deluxe which appears to fix the problem, but when scanned again, the issue appears again.

Do you think it would help if I did a clean install of Snow Leopard and then restore everything using Migration Assistant or will it copy the error as well?

Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Kerry

stewiesno1
9th August 2010, 09:43 PM
If you are having a problem with your hard drive TTpro may not be the best solution in my experience.
DiskWarrior has much better success at fixing drives whereas I have found TTPro can sometimes make the problem worse.
For most other hardware problems yes, TTPro is an excellent utility.
Drive Genius is also another very good HD fixer ( it's what the geniuses at Apple stores use ).
I'd repair the HD first ( if it is indeed repairable ) then look at Photoshops problems.

Stewie

matreya
10th August 2010, 03:09 AM
1. Do you have everything backed up? If not, run out and buy an external hard drive and run time machine
2. Once you have full backups, format the internal hard disk, re-install OS X and restore from backups

kt_kez
10th August 2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the reply! I will look into other repair options. Otherwise re-formatting will have to be the way to go!