PDA

View Full Version : MP 2010 oz release/availability?

sparkie
9th August 2010, 03:24 PM
Any ideas WHEN?

Zurg
9th August 2010, 05:20 PM
MacRumors posted that Apple was going to begin taking orders on the 9th of August (which would be tomorrow US time).
I suspect that they will be available to order from the Australian store at the same time. I'd expect one to three weeks for shipping.

Zurg
9th August 2010, 05:23 PM
I post then go look at the store, and they are busy updating. So I'd say really rather soon.

sparkie
9th August 2010, 05:59 PM
Phuck yeah

Good spotting buddy ;)

skyhawkmatthew
9th August 2010, 06:46 PM
Now. :)

ianska
9th August 2010, 06:58 PM
Shiiit, 7k

grfxninja
9th August 2010, 06:59 PM
Shiiit, 7k

When I finished speccing my "dream" Mac Pro, it was around the $23K mark :D

ianska
9th August 2010, 07:02 PM
Yeah but you only ever show the wife the base price :cool:

grfxninja
9th August 2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah but you only ever show the wife the base price :cool:

Yeah Good point :D

sparkie
9th August 2010, 07:07 PM
no no. you give her an iMac base model price. she won't know the difference

then buy a 27" LED display as well, -- tell her the 27" display is the iMac. Just hide the MP behind it

PurpleLogix
9th August 2010, 07:24 PM
hmm, lets get those GPU ROMS now.

tripwu
9th August 2010, 08:40 PM
Considering the good exchange rate at the moment, these prices feel hard to justify.

sparkie
9th August 2010, 09:31 PM
yeah, it sucks. we are paying over the odds

matreya
10th August 2010, 04:13 AM
Seriously, $7k for a machine that with our exchange rate and GST, should be $6k. This apple australia premium was thought to be dead until now...

Very disappointed.

tupps
10th August 2010, 06:27 AM
I thought it might have been to do with the fluctuations in the AUD, if you go back 30 days the Aussie dollar was at 0.84 (AUDUSD=X: Basic Chart for AUD/USD - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AUDUSD=X+Basic+Chart)) that still seems to be a premium of around $500 even with exchange and GST factored in.

Well it allows the smarter people to make a saving!

Swathe
10th August 2010, 01:03 PM
I specced a top of the line MP with dual 24" cinema displays, just under $25k, pretty astounding.

Vipster
10th August 2010, 05:43 PM
I ordered my 12 core system today......more waiting! damn it

matreya
10th August 2010, 05:54 PM
I ordered my 12 core system today......more waiting! damn it

What config did you order?

And seriously, what are you going to use it for?

ianska
11th August 2010, 09:13 AM
Ordered mine yesterday too. I went for Two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (12 cores), 24GB (6X4GB), 2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive, ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB. Should be a decent enough speed boost over my current 3Ghz MacPro 2,1 so really looking forward to getting it

I'll be using mine mostly for 3D rendering so the more cores the better :)

LevMac
11th August 2010, 10:18 AM
We wanna see pics of your Mac Pro setup's once you get em ! :D

rpjallan
11th August 2010, 12:40 PM
I think I'll get one of these too. I normally buy the lowest spec every 2nd generation. My current Mac Pro is the early 2008 model Quad Core 2.8 and previous to that the last model late 2005 Dual Core 2.0 G5. I can't see the point of getting the new model with the Nehalem proccessor though. Might as well just get a second hand or refurb 2009 model.

I'm tossing up between the 3.33 6 Core Westmere or the 2 x 2.4 Quad Core Westmere. Any suggestions?

At least with these prices my current Mac Pro should still fetch a decent price...

Arkhum_Eramak
11th August 2010, 01:42 PM
I wanna see iStat menus showing all them cores/virtual cores. You'll need a huge-ass monitor! I'd love a dual 6-core machine but I wouldn't utilise all the CPU power enough, my 8-core Mac Pro is doing just fine for me right now. $7000 is a big ask too! Ouch!

matreya
11th August 2010, 05:01 PM
Ordered mine yesterday too. I went for Two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon “Westmere” (12 cores), 24GB (6X4GB), 2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive, ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB. Should be a decent enough speed boost over my current 3Ghz MacPro 2,1 so really looking forward to getting it

I'll be using mine mostly for 3D rendering so the more cores the better :)

You must be spending other peoples' money :)

Seriously, no one buys their RAM and HDDs from apple BTO unless they are spending some other fool's money

Sheesh, if you're going to waste money, go for an SSD...

matreya
11th August 2010, 05:05 PM
I'm tossing up between the 3.33 6 Core Westmere or the 2 x 2.4 Quad Core Westmere. Any suggestions?

I don't see the single 6 core westmere on either the US or Aust Apple online stores.... they're still flogging those old Nehelems as the base model...

My suggestion is to wait until some decent benchmarks come out for the single 6 core Mac Pro...

Vipster
11th August 2010, 05:31 PM
Apple now says my machine will ship on the 26.08, 2 more weeks. I will post pics when it arrives, iv'e also ordered 2 x 120gb OCZ vertex 2 SSD's for it :-)

rpjallan
11th August 2010, 05:33 PM
It's the top option under the quad core menu...

Configure - Apple Store (Australia) (http://store.apple.com/au/configure/MC560X/A?mco=MTg2OTUzNzc)

bigg
11th August 2010, 09:33 PM
some good info here

Macintosh Performance Guide Blog (http://macperformanceguide.com/index.html)

He seems to think that the 6 core single CPU will be the best..

rpjallan
11th August 2010, 11:12 PM
some good info here

Macintosh Performance Guide Blog (http://macperformanceguide.com/index.html)

Yeah, that pretty much confirms my suspicions...

matreya
12th August 2010, 03:57 PM

Interesting that the 6 core mac pro is more expensive than the 8-core...

rpjallan
12th August 2010, 04:17 PM
Interesting that the 6 core mac pro is more expensive than the 8-core...

This comes down to processor speed. The six core has the highest processor speed in the whole range...

ianska
12th August 2010, 05:13 PM
You must be spending other peoples' money :)

Seriously, no one buys their RAM and HDDs from apple BTO unless they are spending some other fool's money

Sheesh, if you're going to waste money, go for an SSD...

The extras are installed by my supplier not Apple so it works out quite a bit cheaper than straight from the Apple store ;)

matreya
13th August 2010, 04:55 PM
This comes down to processor speed. The six core has the highest processor speed in the whole range...

I'd be interested to see how the higher speed 6 core tests vs a slower speed 8 core model...

rpjallan
13th August 2010, 05:51 PM
I've pretty much decided on the six core 3.33 now. I'm just wondering, while I'm spending all this money, if I should upgrade to the Radeon HD 7850. While looking on the Apple Store (again) I just noticed that both these cards are using Mini DisplayPort rather than the full size version. I guess it's a matter of space with two of these and a DVI port.

Anyone else ordered one of these yet?

benmcgruer
13th August 2010, 10:43 PM
I figure if you're already spending $6000+ on a computer what's another $300 for the best (Mac) graphics card. I don't know if anything I do will really take full advantage of it, but it's a fair bit more powerful in raw performance figures so I ordered it. 'In for a penny, in for a pound.'

rpjallan
15th August 2010, 04:00 PM
I'm almost considering the i7 iMac with SSD & 2TB drive now. It's a grand cheaper and includes a good quality 27" screen. I can still put plenty of RAM in it and cheaper RAM than the Mac Pro. Just lacks expandability.

What do you all think?

Vipster
15th August 2010, 07:14 PM
I'm almost considering the i7 iMac with SSD & 2TB drive now. It's a grand cheaper and includes a good quality 27" screen. I can still put plenty of RAM in it and cheaper RAM than the Mac Pro. Just lacks expandability.

What do you all think?

It would be a great machine, Apple SSD's are a little over priced and are not the quickest around. Unfortunately if you order the Imac without the SSD they do not ship the bracket in the machine to install it.

For not much more than the Apple configured i7 27" with the 2tb&SSD $4149

You could get the entry level mac pro $3499, and by the 27" ACD.

The Mac Pro will last you a long time, you can upgrade the memory, HD, Ram, and even CPU. Up to you but I went the mac pro route.

Vipster
17th August 2010, 05:30 PM
Some mac pro's have started shipping in the states. So we may get it sooner rather than later. Here's hoping!

Vipster
18th August 2010, 12:53 PM
Shipped!

RodB
19th August 2010, 01:35 PM
Shipped!

Shipped? You mean you've ordered one from the US and it's on the way or from Oz?

Vipster
19th August 2010, 01:44 PM
Shipped? You mean you've ordered one from the US and it's on the way or from Oz?

Ordered through Australian Store, has shipped and is currently sitting in Hong Kong, been their for nearly 24 hours. I'm expecting it would fly out today some time.

RodB
19th August 2010, 01:45 PM
Ordered through Australian Store, has shipped and is currently sitting in Hong Kong, been their for nearly 24 hours. I'm expecting it would fly out today some time.

Nice! Care to tease us with the specs?

Vipster
19th August 2010, 06:04 PM
I ordered the 12 Core base model, with the 5870 upgrade. I also have the OCZ 120GB SSD Vertex 2 to go in their when I get it. :)

rpjallan
19th August 2010, 06:10 PM
I ordered the 12 Core base model, with the 5870 upgrade. I also have the OCZ 120GB SSD Vertex 2 to go in their when I get it. :)

Please talk me out of getting the iMac...

rpjallan
25th August 2010, 12:57 PM

So, has this thing turned up yet?

Dutch H
31st August 2010, 09:05 PM
I just got my 2.4GHz Dual Quad with 5870 and 8GB Ram. Beautiful machine.

LevMac
1st September 2010, 11:05 AM
Come on guys, we wanna see some pics of your new beasts :)

benmcgruer
1st September 2010, 11:13 AM
Would love to show you, but it's being sent back to Apple for DOA replacement after the video output has stopped working.

LevMac
1st September 2010, 02:34 PM
Would love to show you, but it's being sent back to Apple for DOA replacement after the video output has stopped working.

Sorry to hear that mate, that would definately suck !

Hope your replacement is fine

Dutch H
2nd September 2010, 06:58 PM
Would love to show you, but it's being sent back to Apple for DOA replacement after the video output has stopped working. Ben,

Describe your problem. I had a problem tonight when i turned it on and my LCD screen kept flickering. I turned off the Mac and reconnected all cords. Seems to be working now.

Hope it is nothing serious.

benmcgruer
2nd September 2010, 07:25 PM
Copied from my macrumors post because I'm lazy:

I have a Dell u2711 hooked up with a mini displayport to displayport cable and a HDTV hooked up with a DVI to HDMI cable. The Mac's a 3.33 GHz hexacore with the 5870.

After going through every combination I have the cables to support, I've found that if the Dell is hooked up through displayport while the computer is switched off then I get no video through any output. If I start up with the displayport disconnected then connect it after startup there are no issues. And again if I reboot from a working setup there are no issues.

Also of note is that as soon as the display port is connected while the computer is switched off then a red diagnostic light comes on on the logic board, this goes off after startup.

I'm afraid I didn't try sleeping the computer so I can't comment on that.

Speaking to Apple they want to process it as a DOA and send a new one, but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to fix the problem.

I actually thinking that it's looking like some kind of incompatibility with the Dell displayport - but Apple have suggested they can't do much more than send me a new computer so I'm going to give that a try.

Dutch H
2nd September 2010, 07:31 PM
Cheers mate. Lets see what happens. Hope mine was a 1 off.

~Coxy
3rd September 2010, 04:29 PM
Barefeats had a very similar issue, so it sounds like perhaps the dual DP on the Mac 5870 isn't 100% yet.

Note that a reference 5870 has 1x DP and 2x DVI.

rpjallan
4th September 2010, 12:36 PM
I've decided to get a six core 3.33. I was also going to upgrade to the 5870 but I might give that a miss now.

By the way, RamCity have RAM for the new Mac Pros at a pretty reasonable price:

Apple Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-Core (Mid 2010) Memory and RAM upgrades (http://www.ramcity.com.au/system/M100819103501.htm)

Dutch H
6th September 2010, 01:17 PM
Barefeats had a very similar issue, so it sounds like perhaps the dual DP on the Mac 5870 isn't 100% yet.

Note that a reference 5870 has 1x DP and 2x DVI. Coxy. As in software (drivers) or hardware?

~Coxy
6th September 2010, 04:01 PM
Could be drivers or the firmware on the card.

Netkas found that Apple has been playing silly buggers with their Radeon EFI firmware - there is code in there to try to stop people flashing it to PC cards!

Wouldn't be too surprised if there was an update from Apple to fix the DP output bugging out, but this is just a guess.

SimonB
10th November 2010, 09:47 PM
I'm about to buy a Mac Pro with ATI Radeon HD 5770 and have already ordered 2x Dell U2711's, did you resolve your issue benmcgruer?

leon
10th November 2010, 09:51 PM
I'm about to buy a Mac Pro with ATI Radeon HD 5770 and have already ordered 2x Dell U2711's, did you resolve your issue benmcgruer?

As I mentioned in your other post, order your Mac Pro with the optional ATI 5870 instead of the 5770. It is well worth the extra money.

SimonB
10th November 2010, 10:44 PM
Thanks Leon, as I said, taken on board. However, I see that the issues with the Dell U2711 are specific to the 5870, hence why I am keen to see if a resolution was reached.

benmcgruer
11th November 2010, 07:29 AM
Yes the problem has been resolved - and it turns out it is due to the mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable used (this (http://www.necdisplay.com/cms/documents/UserManuals/DisplayPort_Notice.pdf) NEC Tech Note summarises the issue). You can find other reports of this issue over at MacRumors (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1001577). I bought my first cable from Macfixit.com.au (also appears to be the same cable the monoprice use, which is popular in the US) and after replacing it with a cable from Circuit Assembly (http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Mini-Displayport-to-Displayport-Adapter-Cable.html) I have had no further problems. Computer's been great otherwise.

SimonB
12th November 2010, 10:00 PM
I bought my first cable from Macfixit.com.au (also appears to be the same cable the monoprice use, which is popular in the US) and after replacing it with a cable from Circuit Assembly, I have had no further problems. Computer's been great otherwise.

Cool, thanks. The CA cable's the one my mate recommended, so I will be ordering now that I have ordered the beast itself. Cheers...