PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 GPS reciever

Fitshaced
9th August 2010, 08:54 AM
Downloaded Tom Tom yesterday and gave it a go. I had the iPhone plugged into a kensington cradle that doesnt have a gps receiver/booster thingy.

Worked very well and its very fast at picking up a signal compared to my actual tomtom (which will now be sold). Any experience better GPS signal from the inbuilt GPS on their iPhone 4 compared to their old 3G/3GS?

iJohn
9th August 2010, 09:58 AM
Yeah I noticed that too!! Works even better when you got gps booster

karter
9th August 2010, 10:05 AM
Anyone know a good cheap gps booster for the tom-tom app?? Cheaper then the actual tom-tom cradel??
Cheers

NORMANDY
9th August 2010, 10:46 AM
nope , tom tom is the only way to go, and it works fine (with the Vecro trick) with iphone 4, its the fastest most accurate GPS I have used yet.

iJohn
9th August 2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah the tom tom booster/stand is the best and only way to go!! you pay $$$ but its the best

Fitshaced
9th August 2010, 10:56 AM
I'm probably going to get one but would prefer to wait for the iphone 4 version. However, in the mean time, is there a way to use my kensington cradle which outputs to the aux port on my stereo for music and a bluetooth handsfree device for phone calls which turning one off for the sake of the other?

NORMANDY
9th August 2010, 11:22 AM
just do this.. and all is fine...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Q8GWvJBjtc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Q8GWvJBjtc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Fitshaced
9th August 2010, 11:25 AM
just do this.. and all is fine...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Q8GWvJBjtc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4Q8GWvJBjtc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Yeah but I want to see what TomTom can do about extra features to accommodate the iPhone 4 in their next cradle release.

NORMANDY
9th August 2010, 11:32 AM
the way tom tom expect a release next year...

Fitshaced
9th August 2010, 11:41 AM
the way tom tom expect a release next year...
Seriously? Thats pretty awful then as they're just accepting a homemade fix for a real problem.

NORMANDY
9th August 2010, 11:46 AM
you wouldn't want to work in the car industry then, or the housing industry, or even the mining industry, or many areas!!

You would surprised how many times a local fix is done to resolve and issue that exists, I wouldn't be surprised if the new TOMTOM iphone 4 kit is simply this bit of foam.... :rolleyes:

and really putting a bit of foam that takes 2 seconds to really that hard?

Fitshaced
9th August 2010, 11:52 AM
you wouldn't want to work in the car industry then, or the housing industry, or even the mining industry, or many areas!!

You would surprised how many times a local fix is done to resolve and issue that exists, I wouldn't be surprised if the new TOMTOM iphone 4 kit is simply this bit of foam.... :rolleyes:

and really putting a bit of foam that takes 2 seconds to really that hard?
Its not hard to do and I'd be grateful of the fix if i already owned that cradle. But somethings not right about buying one today and having to use a bit of velcro on it to make it work.

NORMANDY
9th August 2010, 12:04 PM
10 see previous post
20 if upset about having to use bit of velrco goto 10
30 end

RUN :)

Fitshaced
9th August 2010, 12:11 PM
10 see previous post
20 if upset about having to use bit of velrco goto 10
30 end

RUN :)
Thank you for your narcissism.

NORMANDY
9th August 2010, 12:13 PM
anytime :)

just for future see, Narcissism, Narcissism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism)

I dont think it means what you think it means or doesn't apply for that fact you are upset of a local fix.

blk7
9th August 2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure the Tom Tom cradle is necessary. I've used Tom Tom on my iPhone4 3 or 4 times now. Each time I get a lock within about 7 seconds, and it holds that lock beautifully for the entire trip.

I was expecting the GPS to be better in this phone. But, so far, I am astounded at how good it is.

blanc
9th August 2010, 01:20 PM
Magellan also sell an iPhone cradle that boosts the GPS. From the reviews I read the Magellan cradle is compatible with iPhone 4. It can also accommodate iPhone cases.

Not available in Aus officially but you can get them on ebay.

NORMANDY
9th August 2010, 01:21 PM
the cradle DOESNT just boost the gps,its a handsfree kit as well as audio out for your music to aux in on your car stereo.

I have tried both the GPS on the phone only and with the tom tom assisted GPS, and the assisted is ONLY marginally better, so I guess if you just got a cradle without the GPS, and as long as it has a clear view of the sky it should be fine.

the iPhone 4 uses the Broadcom BCM4750 GPS chip. The TomTom dock uses the SirfStarIII.

With everything I could find, they are very comparable chips with the BCM4750 performing a little better when it comes to signal tracking.

I would say their is no need to have a cradle with the separate GPS chip anymore. (IE The TomTom GO 750 LIVE also uses the BCM4750)

blanc
10th August 2010, 09:44 AM
the cradle DOESNT just boost the gps,its a handsfree kit as well as audio out for your music to aux in on your car stereo.

Yes the Magellan cradle has these features as well.

I have tried both the GPS on the phone only and with the tom tom assisted GPS, and the assisted is ONLY marginally better, so I guess if you just got a cradle without the GPS, and as long as it has a clear view of the sky it should be fine.

the iPhone 4 uses the Broadcom BCM4750 GPS chip. The TomTom dock uses the SirfStarIII.

With everything I could find, they are very comparable chips with the BCM4750 performing a little better when it comes to signal tracking.

I would say their is no need to have a cradle with the separate GPS chip anymore. (IE The TomTom GO 750 LIVE also uses the BCM4750)

That's good to know. I was considering replacing my cradle with either the TomTom or Magellan. I'll hold off now and see how the iPhone 4 GPS performs on its own. Thanks.