PDA

View Full Version : My experience jailbreaking iOS 4.01 on a 3GS

Apoptosis
7th August 2010, 08:37 PM
I was bored earlier and decided to jailbreak my phone and write it up for my posterous blog (which nobody reads other than me lol). Turned out a little longer than I anticipated, so for shits and giggles I'll post it here.

I have fiddled with jailbreaking in the past, much to no avail. I'd jailbreak and then discover not much had changed or it made the phone run slower or any other number of reasons which would make me restore to the stock OS all within about 10min.

Since iOS 4, however, my phone has run like a dog anyway! Apps crash on launch, things generally chug and it's much less enjoyable than it used to. I've even done a DFU mode reinstall which failed to fix it. In fact, I regret selling my HTC Desire and not the iPhone. Hopefully iOS 4.1 might repair a few things, but for the moment I'm using the time with the screwed OS to test out jailbreaking for more than 10min.

Here's what I've achieved so far:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1241282/JB%20Pics/2010%206%2034%2027%20PM.jpg
LockInfo is an app which adds all sorts of useful information to the lock screen. I have categories set to be invisible unless they have something to display, which means all I see at the moment are the next few appointments in iCal, but it'll preview SMS, show notifications, missed calls and display tasks from Things among other things. It's not free, $4US, but I'm using the 14 day trial for now (I'll probably un-jailbreak before then anyway...).

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1241282/JB%20Pics/2010%206%2034%2040%20PM.jpg
Winterboard + Illumine theme makes my home-screen look pretty! Since the Illumine theme developer had a tanty (and rightfully so) that people were distributing his work without credit, installing this theme has become a little harder than it used to be. I had to spend some time googling and installing another app with which I could run an installer for a raw theme file before it would work but I think it's worth it. The mottled gray background with subtle little glowy bits pretty well matches how I had my phone wallpaper set on the stock OS anyway. Other than that I don't think there's too much I can say about a theme - it's just eye candy, but it touts over 2000 custom app icons all of which are included.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1241282/JB%20Pics/2010%206%2034%2049%20PM.jpg
SBSettings adds a very handy drop down overlay to the top of the display allowing you very quick access to useful frequently needed things which Apple (in their wisdom) decided to bury many layers deep in the settings app. Plenty of customisation is possible along with themes and plug-ins for other apps to control. For people worried about iOS multitasking using up all your RAM and slowing your device it'll even show a free memory stat next to the clock so you can obsessively check it and close apps accordingly... Another useful feature is the display of your IP address for both WiFi and your 3G connection.
SBSettings used to be opened by swiping downwards from the clock, but iOS 4 has broken that, so now it can be activated by various gestures and button presses/holds. I have mine set to a short of the home button.

Jailbreaking is now dangerously easy (and I do mean dangerous - it utilized a rather large security hole in iOS) thanks to JailbreakMe (http://www.jailbreakme.com). Once you've jailbroken you should install OpenSSH and remotely log in and change your root and mobile passwords using the passwd command so that you regain a little bit of security, since the root user can do pretty much anything to your phone and anyone who has access to the jailbreakme.com site has a nice long list of IP addresses and default SSH passwords which (if they or other hackers wanted) could be used to do anything they wanted with your phone! So be aware.

So far, I think jailbreaking (for me at this time) is mostly worth it for these useful little UI tweaks but many of the traditional advantages of jailbreaking (multitasking, custom wallpapers etc) have been taken care of by Apple, largely rendering the process a waste of time for most people.

I don't know whether it's because iOS has gotten all buggy and slow in general, or because the jailbreak process has tinkered somewhere, but I think it's not caused the usual epic slow-down I would have expected from my past experiences.

Got any other cool things I should try?

bartron
7th August 2010, 08:52 PM
I felt the same but I downgraded my 3G from 4.0.1 to 3.1.3 because the OS was as slow as shit. Until 4.1 comes out (or I buy a iPhone 4) I decided to take advantage of the jailbreakme site. So far I have winterboard and some custom ringtones but I'm interested in lockInfo and SBsettings looks useful.

One other thing I did jailbreak is my iPad (until os 4 comes out for that) because it then lets you use a bluetooth mouse with BTStack which is handy when combined with a remote desktop app.

grfxninja
7th August 2010, 10:15 PM
The only thing I would want to jailbreak for now would be the lock screen info.
To be honest, I couldn't be bothered anyway

BiRDBRAiN
7th August 2010, 10:53 PM
I'd jailbreak for Mifi.

eaglesteve2
8th August 2010, 12:56 AM
The improvements I got from jailbreaking are:
- FaceTime over 3G
- full preview of iTunes musics.
- iFile.
- SBSettings
- Activator. This let's me start/pause music by press and hold the home key, skip songs, repeat songs with the volume buttons without having to switch on the screen. Activator really gives lots of customization options.
- MyWi to make my iPhone a hotspot for my iPad.
- infinitefolder let's me have more than 12 applications in each folder.
- lockinfo.
- Ultrasn0w to carrier unlock the phone.

bennyling
8th August 2010, 04:39 PM
I'd jailbreak purely for SSH access.

The_Hawk
8th August 2010, 05:01 PM
I jailbroke the 3G way back when and much like your experience it was slow as all hell so it was out the window and back to stock in 24 hours.

Until now I have never really thought about it since I didn't have anything much I wanted that the stock system couldn't do... until face time.

So I took the plunge and jailbroke it. I have installed My3G and MiFi 4.0 so far but am looking for some other things to try. I wanted locked info, just never knew what it was called so hadn't hunted that one down yet.... (installed now ;)).

I haven't had a long look, but the Cydia store doesn't seem to be nearly as nice as the official app store and prices for apps seem to be less than obvious. It's not until it tells you it's a trial and will cost $xx that you know.

When it comes to SSH, I haven't changed default passwords, but I have just turned it off. Is there an issue with doing just this if I don't plan on using it??

SBSettings is installed and while I like the quick access to turn things on/off I don't usually bother turning WiFi or Bluetooth or Data on or off so I don't know that it's something I will ever use. Still, it's there and doesn't appear to be causing any ill effects.

MiFi 4.0 at $20 (US$ I assume too) is pretty expensive, especially since I tether by USB most of the time at work and also have a 3G iPad (although I suppose I could simply not pay for more credit on the iPad). It's a nice toy, but again, not something I really think I need since Bluetooth tethering is also an option if I just want to be wireless between the MBP and the iPhone.

For $4 a piece My3G and LockInfo are reasonably priced and really do allow me to do what I want to do... Now if only Apple allowed this sort of thing I would be happy (as would many many others) and wouldn't bother jailbreaking.

I would be very interested in hearing about any other recommended apps people might be using on this side of the fence... :)

Sebastianmonty
8th August 2010, 05:55 PM
Once you've jailbroken you should install OpenSSH and remotely log in and change your root and mobile passwords using the passwd command so that you regain a little bit of security, since the root user can do pretty much anything to your phone and anyone who has access to the jailbreakme.com site has a nice long list of IP addresses and default SSH passwords which (if they or other hackers wanted) could be used to do anything they wanted with your phone!
So they can access it even if it has just been jailbroken. What if I never installed OPENSSH? Can they still get in?

I'd jailbreak purely for SSH access.
Why? WHat is so good about it? I can't google technical explanations right now.

When it comes to SSH, I haven't changed default passwords, but I have just turned it off. Is there an issue with doing just this if I don't plan on using it??

I would be very interested in hearing about any other recommended apps people might be using on this side of the fence... :)
How did you turn off SSH? Did you install OPenSSH?

I also would like to here recommended apps. Thanks for the review, I have finally moved my 3GS across now that it's supported and I have unlocked it.

bennyling
8th August 2010, 06:04 PM
So they can access it even if it has just been jailbroken. What if I never installed OPENSSH? Can they still get in?

Um, what? No they can't... Need to have some version of SSH installed to be able to SSH in ;)

Why? WHat is so good about it? I can't google technical explanations right now.

Open access to the file system - which means I can modify fonts without using FontSwap/Winterboard, I can replace the SMS ringtones, that sort of thing.

How did you turn off SSH? Did you install OPenSSH?

There's an SBSettings toggle, but you only really need it if you're paranoid (as the SSH socket/server isn't running all the time, only when required) - provided you change your SSH passwords (with the passwd command), you'll be fine.

dekco
9th August 2010, 11:03 AM
Another one would be "Five button Dock" meaning i can now drag my SMS icon to the bottom.

Oh, and for those who dont use voicemail. You can add "Voicemailblocker". Stops you from accidentally activating VM