PDA

View Full Version : iphone 4 camera not working

hyphoktm
7th August 2010, 01:30 PM
Got my new iphone 4 from the T-Life store in Tuggerah the other day and have been having problems with the camera. When I press the camera icon the app opens into the normal screen and the shutter (iris) is frozen and will not open.All the buttons for the app are frozen except for the shortcut to the photo gallery (bottom left hand corner). I initially thought it to be a glitch but after some research on the apple support forum it appears it is a known problem. I have tried all the suggestions I came across to fix the problem, but none have worked. I have booked a genius appointment next week.

The consensus is that the camera freezes because the auto focus is not operating properly and the camera app doesnt know how to deal with the problem, therefore, frozen screen. In the states Apple have been replacing the defective phones with new ones. So the problem appears to be hardware related.

Just curious whether anyone else has had the same problem.
Thanks

tom5955
7th August 2010, 03:10 PM
I know you said that it is most likely a hardware problem from what you read, but a restore is worth a try if you haven't done it yet.

hyphoktm
7th August 2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I have done that plus all the other remedies suggested in the apple support forums.

Cybix
7th August 2010, 06:44 PM
it's a known issue and bug in the current version of iOS. Yet... it's not on all iPhone 4's. odd eh. I would expect an iOS update very soon, if not only to fix this, but to patch the PDF exploit going around on the net...

turbotimatron
10th August 2010, 04:05 PM
Yup - I've got exactly the same problem. I picked mine up from the T-life store at Modbury last Thursday night and noticed on Friday morning that the camera wasn't working properly. My camera app would successfully open most times but as soon as I switched to video mode the iris/shutter would close and not reopen. Like you, all the buttons would be grayed out except for the thumbnail to show my previous photos.

Weirdly, a couple of times I could get it to switch to video mode but then if I switched back to standard camera it would freeze up. The most switches I successfully got out of it was 3 (camera > video > camera > freeze!) Pretty damn frustrating that it was so inconsistent.

Anyway, I took it straight back to Telstra on Saturday morning and they told me that they would have to send it back to Apple (despite having unallocated handsets sitting right in front of me!). Supposed to be a 5 - 7 working day wait now - not the best start to my relationship with Telstra I feel.

I'll let you know how I go - good luck with yours :)