PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 Video Camera Framerates

Arkhum_Eramak
5th August 2010, 05:37 PM
I've noticed that when shooting video with iPhone 4 the video is 29.97, but under low light it often drops to 23.976.

Not a big deal, just interesting. Makes me wonder how many 'phone filmmakers' would like to be able to toggle 23.976p mode at any time?

peajay
5th August 2010, 11:49 PM
Hi Arkhum_Eramak,

I wonder if you could kindly help me with a question I'm having a little trouble finding an answer for... ie, how many megs per minute are used (or created) when shooting video on the phone? i don't have one yet and am curious, as i am weighing up pros and cons of 16gb vs 32gb.

I'd appreciate your thoughts if you have a moment.

:-)

Arkhum_Eramak
6th August 2010, 08:50 AM
iPhone 4 when shooting in HD records at 10Mbps. I personally went with the 32Gb because I figured I was going to play around with video on the device, and I knew that the files would quickly stack up!

One video I have that runs for 1:30 is about 113Mb. So you'll get about 13 and a half minutes to the gigabyte, roughly.

peajay
6th August 2010, 12:24 PM
thank you! much appreciated!!

:):):)

NORMANDY
6th August 2010, 12:50 PM
I have an iPhone 4 and I've recorded a fair amount of video. The file sizes vary slightly based on the complexity of the scene, but in general one hour of 720p video is about 4.5 GB.

I've recorded several videos lasting no more than about five minutes, and had no trouble syncing them back to my Mac using iPhoto. However, I shot one longer video (20:37) that I could not transfer to my Mac. Apple recommends that I use iPhoto if I'm on a Mac, and if that doesn't work they recommend Image Capture. Both programs spend about a half hour trying to copy the video, after which time they each throw an error and fail.

I contacted Apple support trying to find some way of copying the video back to my Mac. After much waiting on my end, and research on Apple's end, the "official" solution is apparently to use Linux to transfer large videos. At least in this one regard!

So HD videos on the iPhone 4 take up about 4.5 GB per hour, but if you record 20 minutes of video or more, you will not be able to transfer the video onto a Mac. Hopefully this will be fixed in future versions of the OS X or iPhoto.

Arkhum_Eramak
6th August 2010, 02:02 PM
Oh wow, that sucks! Have you tried using one of the Mac OS X utilities that let you mount iPhone as a disk (without Jailbreaking)? I have a good one but I don't recall the name of it right now.

peajay
6th August 2010, 03:14 PM
thanks normandy that's good to know! we are expecting a baby in a week or so and i expect my main camera use will be cute baby pics and movies, so we'll need to keep them short and sweet.

sorry for hijacking your thread, arkhum_eramak. perhaps the mods could create a separate one for this topic if you want.

cheers

crowndog
7th August 2010, 06:59 AM
Oh wow, that sucks! Have you tried using one of the Mac OS X utilities that let you mount iPhone as a disk (without Jailbreaking)? I have a good one but I don't recall the name of it right now.

Have you tried PhoneView for iPhone and iPad (http://ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/)

I had to purchase this as my iPhoto wont recognise both mine and my wife's iPhone 4 (and our old 3G ones as well)
It might pull off bigger files. You can download a free demo where it lets you copy the first 20 movies or photos off your phone onto your hard drive.

coranda
7th August 2010, 02:29 PM

Can you use Log and Transfer in Final Cut?