PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 Power Adaptor

meverz
5th August 2010, 11:01 AM
The power adaptor on my wife's Powerbook G4 is on the way out. It still works, just, but takes some fiddling to get it exactly right.

Anyway, I bought a replacement off ebay, and it doesn't work.

I've tried the new one (off ebay), on a mates iBook, and it works fine (as does the old PowerBook one), and the iBook power adaptor does work on the PowerBook (even though it is only 45W, not 65W), although the battery was charged, so not sure if it would charge the battery or not.

So, does anyone have any idea what is going on? Why does the power adaptor work on the iBook, but not on my PowerBook? Could it be to do with the iBook drawing less power?

bartron
5th August 2010, 11:06 AM
it it a genuine Apple one or a third party aftermarket adapter? Does it charge the powerbook battery when the machine is turned off? Sounds like either the adapter is not a 65W one (or even 45W) or the plug on the powerbook itself is on the way out.

Your iBook adapter will either run the powerbook or charge the battery but not both.

meverz
5th August 2010, 11:09 AM
It looks like a genuine apple adaptor. It looks exactly like the old one, with the apple logo, and the same model number, although the duckhead convertor is different.

Not sure if it charges the Powerbook or not. All I know is, when you plug it in, the light in the plug fails to turn on, and the Powerbook doesn't detect it has AC power connected. When I plug it into an iBook, the light does turn on, and the iBook does detect AC power, and start charging.

Yeah, i figured an iBook adaptor wouldn't be the solution.