PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4 unlocking tool now available

OziMac
4th August 2010, 08:14 PM
As reported on http://www.macrumors.com/:

The first iPhone 4 unlocking tool has been released. Version 1.0-1 of ultrasn0w provides iPhone 4, 3G and 3GS owners the ability to carrier unlock their iPhone to work across multiple providers.

While in some countries customers may be able to buy unlocked iPhones, most iPhones come locked to the specific mobile carrier. The process of "unlocking" the iPhone allows you to use the same phone across other GSM mobile phone carriers. In the U.S., however, options for alternative carriers are limited as T-Mobile is the only other GSM-based carrier and they do not even support the iPhone's 3G data network. In order to unlock your iPhone, you must first be Jailbroken.

Users should, of course, proceed at their own risk, as none of these procedures are sanctioned by Apple who warns that any issues caused by these procedures could violate your warranty.

The tool is available at the Dev-Team blog:
Dev-Team Blog - grow, grow ultrasn0w! (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/901809518/grow-grow-ultrasn0w)

Anyone game? This is the first time in years I've had a locked iPhone, but personally have no need to unlock it (and will nevertheless try to convince Telstra to do it for free when the time comes).

Still impresses me how easy these things have become though - there were some hairy moments when doing the first unlocking process on the original iPhone, and now it's down to a relatively simple GUI within a month of release (well, a week for us!). :)

Keving
4th August 2010, 08:16 PM
yeah, all on the iphone too - which is a nice change from the past few years, though originally when I got my first iPhone on 1.1.2? or something that added youtube, dunno what version if twas, but it was a website using the TIFF exploit, now it's a PDF exploit.

iJohn
4th August 2010, 09:09 PM
Tempted.... But don't know anyone with a microsim to test.... Ahhh maybe ill wait another year lol

displayb333
5th August 2010, 07:50 AM
As reported on http://www.macrumors.com/:
Anyone game? This is the first time in years I've had a locked iPhone, but personally have no need to unlock it (and will nevertheless try to convince Telstra to do it for free when the time comes).

Yep, seems to be a snap. Certainly the easiest jb I've done.

Having done so, I also installed "PDF Loading Warner", which traps any attempt to load a PDF and gives you a warning - just in case you weren't planning to do so, and a website loads the PDF exploit with malicious intent...

Also changed the root password (duh) and mobile password.

This has made reading PDFs in iBooks a complete pain.

I'm suitably terrified, actually, there is now a specific vector for attacking iPhones from web pages. How long before some h8r delivers on that?

BiRDBRAiN
5th August 2010, 07:52 AM
I called up Three support the other day to ask about unlocking, being only a few months into my contract, I was just curious.

To my surprise they said it was free. All I had to do was ask about it. They sent a request off to Apple and said it would be done in 48 hours.

They instructed me to just reactivate the phone via itunes if I was using a sim from a different provider.