PDA

View Full Version : Cydia @ Apple Store George St!

Stez
4th August 2010, 06:54 PM
Funny experience today, was in the city so popped by the George St store in Sydney to have a play with the phone and Cydia was installed on one of them :P Was wondering how it was possible until I remebered the new online only jailbreak. I showed one of the staff and pretended I didn't know what Cydia was and I asked what this app does and the guy told me that it's a glitch that happens when you do to a website at the Apple Stores servers and they are working on a fix that will prevent people from visiting websites that can install the app. I asked what websites and he said he didn't know which were affected :D

So I guess they're going to put some block on the Wi-Fi that blocks jailbreakme.com from being accessed from the store.

thats awesome
4th August 2010, 07:02 PM
I was checking out an iPhone 4 at the telstra CBD store today (bourke street) and it also had Cydia installed.

Apples security = massive fail.

nibbles
4th August 2010, 08:32 PM
Funniest thing I have heard for quite some time, I expected some other kind of story but LOL.

mitty
4th August 2010, 08:47 PM
Also saw it at Melb Central T-Life.

I know we can laugh about this but it's actually pretty scary when you think about it. Amazing that this was ever possible in the first place, well done to the Dev Teams for finding it.

iJohn
4th August 2010, 09:06 PM
I was reading an article last week. The us its now legal to JB isnt it?

Beau
4th August 2010, 09:17 PM
Also saw it at Melb Central T-Life.

I know we can laugh about this but it's actually pretty scary when you think about it. Amazing that this was ever possible in the first place, well done to the Dev Teams for finding it.

I might've done it to the one on display @ T-Life Campbelltown. ;-)

banjo
4th August 2010, 09:33 PM
I was reading an article last week. The us its now legal to JB isnt it?

Among other things (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/07/apple-loses-big-in-drm-ruling-jailbreaks-are-fair-use.ars).

Basically it was found not to be a copyright issue (and rightly so). But that doesn't mean they're going make it easy to JB.

smellyt0fu
4th August 2010, 09:37 PM
I saw the video of someone in the US doing the same thing and it was the funniest thing ever! Thumbs up to the people game enough to do it. :D

Exocet
4th August 2010, 10:19 PM
You realise this is the digital equivalent to scrawling a tag on a fence somewhere? There's absolutely zero personal gain for yourself, in fact all you're doing is forcing somebody else to spend a few hours cleaning up your mess.

Dux
4th August 2010, 10:23 PM
You realise this is the digital equivalent to scrawling a tag on a fence somewhere? There's absolutely zero personal gain for yourself, in fact all you're doing is forcing somebody else to spend a few hours cleaning up your mess.

I doubt it would be forcing anyone to spend more time doing anything as they seem to re-image all their machines weekly, if not daily, at most Apple Stores.

bennyling
4th August 2010, 10:26 PM
I doubt it would be forcing anyone to spend more time doing anything as they seem to re-image all their machines weekly, if not daily, at most Apple Stores.

There's special programs you can get to re-image a machine upon reboot (well, restore it back to presets, anway), but for iPhones I think it'd involve actually restoring it back to some custom firmware.

ts10
4th August 2010, 10:42 PM
Am I right in saying it may not be illegal, but it breaks the User Agreement when you purchase one? That may not mean much really, but it's still something which is being broken by the user. Any repair would not be covered, but of course one could just restore it before the appointment.

Agree with Exocet...don't see how this really achieves anything.

dekco
4th August 2010, 11:32 PM
I doubt much of the customers would even know what cydia is to start with.

Majority of the average customers will just think its another app.

forno
5th August 2010, 07:57 AM
I am sure you guys would love it if you sold a product and people kept on coming in and de facing your demo product?

F***ing petty juvenille sh*t if you ask me