PDA

View Full Version : From PC to Mac ...

Cougar2465
4th August 2010, 06:44 PM
Hi guys

I am looking to get a Mac this weekend. My budget is around AUS$2000 and this would be my first Mac. I will use it mainly for websurfing, music production/mixing (Ableton Live, Traktor Pro etc) and maybe some games. I already have Dell 30" monitor that I want to use with the new MAC.
Btw I also have an iPad 64Gb 3G.

Now with the above considerations, which Mac is best for me?

Your advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers

gehenna
4th August 2010, 06:50 PM
Mac mini.

Cougar2465
4th August 2010, 06:52 PM
Should I upgrade the CPU and RAM or the base Mini will do?

4th August 2010, 07:13 PM
If 2k is your budget, why not just snag a 27" iMac and go dual screen ? If you compose on your Mac the dual screen will be a real boon, 27" + 30" is a lot of screen real estate.

Be warned though, the Dell display will look pretty ordinary and dull next to the iMac's 27" LCD. I went from a PC with a 30" Dell to a iMac 27" and the Dell LCD pales in comparison for clarity, brightness and overall visual quality (still miss those extra 3 inches though!).

Mac mini isn't really much chop for games either, the iMac will serve you infinitely better for gaming, even casual... I'm not sure that a Mac mini will enjoy pushing around 2560x1600 resolution in games.

gareth
4th August 2010, 07:14 PM
Should I upgrade the CPU and RAM or the base Mini will do?

I wouldnt upgrade the CPU doubt it will make any difference but 4GB ram is a must.

enjoy your mac :)

Chief911
4th August 2010, 07:28 PM
The Imac 21.5'' or 27'' are phenomenal computers and you won't be disappointed...

4GB is plenty of RAM for now! maybe 2 years time get some more just to keep it flying along....

Hope that helps..

oh_lol
4th August 2010, 07:57 PM
The newly superseded 27" i5 iMac is on the refurbed stores @ a tad over 2k.

That would be my choice, and you could sell your Dell if you didn't require two screens

Cougar2465
4th August 2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the advise guys.

I like the iMac and its specs but I really want to keep my DELL 30 as I still run my gaming PC on this monitor. My plan is to use a dual link DVI KMV switch to switch between the PC and the MAC. Also my desk is not big enough to have 2 big monitors.

I think I'll get the new Mac Mini (much better Graphic cards then privious??) with 4GB RAM to start with and see how I go. And maybe I might upgrade it to lMBPi7, iMac in the future??

caesarlike
5th August 2010, 06:27 AM
The graphics card in the new Mac Mini is much better than the previous 9400M. The new card should easily play games like Modern Warfare. I have seen it play the racing game GRID without problems. Not on the highest settings mind you, but it played without any lagging. This was on an old 19 inch monitor, not your much larger 30, so how it would handle the higher requirements with the 30 for gaming I can't say. However, I did see it play an 8 gig HD movie on a 24 inch monitor and it looked brilliant. So, for the occasional bit of gaming, with games that are not too graphically demanding, the new Mac Mini is okay.

dacoda
5th August 2010, 10:24 AM
I would say forget the Dell 30" and just get the iMac. I know you'll have a smaller screen physically, but you'll have such an awesome experience with the iMac. It is such a beautiful machine.

A few years ago, I was using at Mac Mini at work and I absolutely hated it. Admittedly, this was around 2006 and they were fairly new machines with very low specs. And everyone else at work had a G5 tower with dual displays. Maybe that's why I hated it.....

Anyway, I would still say get the iMac. You'll love it.

Wally
5th August 2010, 01:25 PM
also you could always use the Dell 30" as a second screen :D

Cougar2465
5th August 2010, 02:02 PM
I need to keep my Dell 30 as I use it for my gaming PC as well.
I can't have dual big displays as my desk is not big enough. So ...
I just came back from the Apple shop with a base Mac Mini upgraded to 4GB, trackpad and MiniDisplay to Dual Link DVI. Now I am looking for dual link DVI Switch for my PC and Mac to share the display.
I am at work and looking forward to get home and play with it .. or maybe I can start now at my desk :-)

I will need the Mac experts advise ... get ready for all my quaries :-)

Cheers

caesarlike
5th August 2010, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the Mac world Cougar. Many of us on these forums have made the change from windoze to Mac, and found it to be the best thing we ever did in regards to using computers. Hopefully you will soon think the same.

As for your new Mac Mini, you should find it a fast little machine that is highly reliable and stable. Its also one of the best looking computers around. What I really like about the new Mac Mini is that they are so quiet you will hardly ever hear it working.

:)

JaimeSharp
5th August 2010, 08:21 PM
for that budget i do think the i5 imac is the best value though an I7 MBP would be alright as well but over your budget though the mini is quiet the graphics card/cpu is the limitation of the machine though quiet and cheap to run either way enjoy your purchase

5th August 2010, 09:00 PM
Well done Cougar. Your computing life is about to change for the better.

In fact, I'll make a prediction that within 6-12 months you won't own a PC at all.

Cougar2465
5th August 2010, 11:32 PM
I am typing this on my Mac Mini powered Dell monitor :) love it!

This cute little thing does the job very well! Music Sequencer software (NI Maschine) with few audio/loops tracks running goes smoothly. Running the 30" display with no dramas! Love the track pad for reading the forums and browse the net where you can just slap that pad with 3 fingers to go back and forward a page :)

Found Belkin Flip Dual link DVI KMV switch but don't know where to get them from. Rang around some OZ online shops today but they're all out of stock. Anybody know where to get the DVI D KMV from in OZ?

I will now use this Mini for all my computing needs except gaming as with one press of a button I will be able to switch to my gaming PC on the same minitor to play games!

My plan now is to upgrade to maybe iMac for more speed in near future (not that I need more speed now for what I am doing on it) and also hookup my PC to use iMac as a display.

I haven't had a look yet but will it be possible to import iTune PlayList from PC?

I am glad I bought a Mac .. its awesome!

Cheers

sparky13
6th August 2010, 10:11 PM
Can you link me the product. I believe I've seen them at Harvey Norman (I work there), at least at our store

Cougar2465
6th August 2010, 10:51 PM
Can you link me the product. I believe I've seen them at Harvey Norman (I work there), at least at our store

Its very hard to find. Most of the stores only sale single link DVI which will not go up to 2560x1600 but I found one from CableChick in Queensland.

Here it is 2-Port DVI Switch Box + NEXT-DAY EXPRESS SHIPPING! (http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/2-port-dvi-switch-box.html)

Read the FAQ for more info.

Cheers

Cougar2465
7th August 2010, 04:41 PM
Update!

I bought the Mini a few days ago and it's running very well but there was something I missed about the Mini that is the beautiful Apple keyboard and monitor soooo .... I returned the Mac Mini to Apple shop today and bought the MBP15" i7 :) It looks beautiful next to my Dell 30". I was going to get the HighRes version but the Apple Shop didn't have them so got the standard instead which I am quite happy with as I am using my Dell 30" as the second display so I wouldn't need more desktop area.

Now I want to upgrade the RAM and HD.. I will get the RAM from the forum sponsor here but which HD do you guys recommend?

Cheers