PDA

View Full Version : Powermac G5 - where to buy from?

Swathe
4th August 2010, 03:05 PM
Hi guys,

Basically, a new mac is way out of my price range as is intel based macs, so I was looking at the Powermac G5 units and there seems to be a few on ebay ranging between 300-700 bucks. Are these good prices, any pit falls to look out for and above all, any better places to get good second hand units?

Thanks.

Jopher
4th August 2010, 04:05 PM
Around that price range you would easily be able to get a newer Intel based iMac. Personally I would stay away from buying a PowerPC mac as they are becoming more and more obsolete.

Swathe
4th August 2010, 04:17 PM
Any suggestions on where to find them? I am definitely looking for the sub $500 delivered price range which makes getting an intel based model a little more difficult :(

ClockWork
4th August 2010, 04:29 PM
Macs As New (http://www.macsasnew.com.au/products.html) sometimes gets stock of superseded models.
Else eBay it.

tibook
4th August 2010, 04:30 PM
Additionally, the reason these machines prices are dropping is that some parts eg:
Power supplies are becoming rare and in some cases impossible to source from apple. :(

I guess it depends on what you need to do with the system.

You will often see first gen intel iMacs on the forums here for about your price range,
these are generally strong machines & can run snow leopard & the latest itunes/safari etc

SOSUMI
4th August 2010, 04:52 PM
Any suggestions on where to find them? I am definitely looking for the sub $500 delivered price range which makes getting an intel based model a little more difficult :(

Try New Wave Systems . look on there web

fan
4th August 2010, 04:57 PM
Hi

Just ping me and I have twin G5 for sale..

Swathe
4th August 2010, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

I dont really want an imac as I would want to possibly do some upgrades regarding additional hard drives etc, and alas I dont not have access to the sale section of the forums yet.

Replied to your pm fan :D

EDIT: It seems I do now have access, thanks to whoever is responsible :)