PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if replacement iPhone is new or refurb?

karter
4th August 2010, 07:52 AM
Morning..

I bought an iPhone 4 last friday - aus release day - and have already got another iPhone 4 comming through Apples advance replacement..

Just wondering, is there ANY way in which I can tell, with regards to the iPhone Apple are sending me if it is brand new or what Apple calls "as new"??

Like the Apple superviser that organized it for me, told me, the chances of getting a "as new" iPhone is extremly slim, due to them only being in the country for 4 days..but am most likely to get a brand new iPhone 4

So is there any way I can tell??

Thanks..

DeanCorp
4th August 2010, 07:58 AM
If it is a returned one. I would be arguing for a replacement since Apple have a 10 day DOA period whereby you can get a replacement unit (brand new from the stores stock) and the store simply sends the old faulty one back to Apple.

The easiest way to tell is the serial number will often start with "5" or "5K"

wolfie
4th August 2010, 08:04 AM
I would also demand a new phone. You don't pay big money for a refurbish.
If they say no, say fine. *** you, I now return my phone and when more stock comes in, I'll buy a new one.

mallo
4th August 2010, 09:18 AM
Why do people care so much about this sort of thing? If apple give me a replacement phone, that looks brand new, works as brand new, but happens to be a refurb, i don't care. long as i have a brand new looking phone that works as new, i'm happy.

think some of you are all a little too precious.

LevMac
4th August 2010, 09:29 AM
Why do people care so much about this sort of thing? If apple give me a replacement phone, that looks brand new, works as brand new, but happens to be a refurb, i don't care. long as i have a brand new looking phone that works as new, i'm happy.

Well some people do care

It's like buying a brand new Macbook Pro, and within 10 days of purchase if something goes wrong with it and when you take it back to the retailer for an exchange, its like the retailer giving you a 2nd hand used Macbook Pro that someone else has used in exchange

I wouldn't want that

mallo
4th August 2010, 09:34 AM
Well some people do care

It's like buying a brand new Macbook Pro, and within 10 days of purchase if something goes wrong with it and when you take it back to the retailer for an exchange, its like the retailer giving you a 2nd hand used Macbook Pro that someone else has used

I wouldn't want that

but thats the thing. it's exactly like that.

The refurbished iPhones go through an exhaustive process.

As far as I am aware, the process is something like this:

Defective phone is returned, defective phone is shipped to china, phone is stripped into individual parts, each part is checked, and then phones are assembled from the individual parts that are checked and working. Any part that was not working (or is damaged cosmetically), is discarded.

What you end up with at the end of the production line is a phone that looks, feels, and works like a brand new iphone.

Sure some of the phones parts may have been into the wild, but considering the process they go through, and the fact that you are handed a phone that looks, and feels brand new....AND how easy it is to get apple the hand one of these over, I mean, how many other phone manufacturers that you have bought phone from in the past replace your phone as easily as apple does when there is a problem?

Everyone needs to be just a little less precious, and a little more grateful for what really is pretty great overall customer service.

spuds_imac
4th August 2010, 09:39 AM
Buy a new car have a problem no worries mate here have a secondhand one that we have checked over....don't think so :)

Exocet
4th August 2010, 09:59 AM
Buy a new car have a problem no worries mate here have a secondhand one that we have checked over....don't think so :)

It is a car analogy!

Holden doesn't replace your entire car if the rear passenger-side door handle fails to work intermittently.

spuds_imac
4th August 2010, 10:03 AM
No but they fix the door and you still get your new car back?

Exocet
4th August 2010, 10:04 AM
No but they fix the door and you still get your new car back?
Go speak to some Nokia customers who have had their N97s and Blackberry users with their Storm 2s who have been in for repair six, seven, eight times. Ask them if they'd prefer a new phone rather than yet another repair.

A car analogy doesn't work in this situation - they're two totally different repair/maintenance situations.

I should also point out that most carriers offer an additional warranty protection called Early Life Failure which means your handset has a replicable fault it is swapped for a brand new, in-box retail unit.

karter
4th August 2010, 10:05 AM
Ok, thanks guys, is the 10 day period a period in which apple say they are suppose to give you a brand new one? Would rather a brand new one, so I will ring apple this arternoon, what should I say to be able to get a brand new one - if this is their policy, as the apple supervisor yesterday couldn't tell me if it was going to be new or as new phone...
Would really appreciate the help..thanks

Alec Fraser
4th August 2010, 10:23 AM
This close to launch I doubt that they would have any refurb units to give out in Australia. This is probably a non-issue to be honest.

Edit: And to add to Exocet's point...mate of mine took his N97 in 6 times, it was "repaired" every time with no details of the actual repair given...eventually it was replaced with a brand new handset and he hasn't had an issue since.

johnq
4th August 2010, 11:22 AM
Apple are easily the most customer friendly service organisation out there. Some of the concerns people raise on sites like this seem to be based on the really crappy "screw you" attitude most suppliers impose on their customers. Look through the archives here and you will find HUNDREDS of stories where Apple replaces things despite the fact that they are "just out" of the warranty period etc. Just talk to the rep on the phone or at the genius bar reasonably and prepare to be surprised at the extraordinarily reasonable response!

PowerPC
4th August 2010, 11:40 AM

People care because for some, the Shiny outweighs the Good.

Macworld USA checked out the DOA and early defect rates of Apple refurbs compared to the same models brand-new, and found like elsewhere in the industry, refurbs were less likely to arrive dead, and less likely to die soon after purchase. That's a side effect of the process of manufacture then refurbishment allowing for more issues to be picked up before the machine arrives to you.

Apple's out-of-box experience may be the best in the business, but knowing a machine is refurbished and ascribing a second rate status to that just because it didn't go through just one build-and-package process before arriving is like believing in some kind of lucky-underpants bad magic.

Give me a refurb over brand new, any day. Let someone else work out the bugs.

johnq
4th August 2010, 11:55 AM
People care because for some, the Shiny outweighs the Good.

Macworld USA checked out the DOA and early defect rates of Apple refurbs compared to the same models brand-new, and found like elsewhere in the industry, refurbs were less likely to arrive dead, and less likely to die soon after purchase. That's a side effect of the process of manufacture then refurbishment allowing for more issues to be picked up before the machine arrives to you.

Apple's out-of-box experience may be the best in the business, but knowing a machine is refurbished and ascribing a second rate status to that just because it didn't go through just one build-and-package process before arriving is like believing in some kind of lucky-underpants bad magic.

Give me a refurb over brand new, any day. Let someone else work out the bugs.

Actually you have raised a great point. The refurb process is likely to result in a BETTER phone. Things are likely to be checked more thoroughly and tolerances are enforced. A person far more qualified than the manufacturing assembly line people conducts the refurb process and enforces the actual engineering specifications.

karter
4th August 2010, 01:39 PM
So if the Serial number starts with a 5 its a refurb??

karter
4th August 2010, 07:22 PM
The easiest way to tell is the serial number will often start with "5" or "5K"

rang Apple and they said there is no way of telling through the serial number.?

wolfie
4th August 2010, 07:29 PM
I think many are missing the point.
Irrelevant if the phone has just been launched or is 6 months down the track.

Point is you don't plonk 1k down, and within 2 weeks it fails and your told your getting a refurbish.
No, not on.
It's a matter of principle. You pay the cost of a brand new unit, u EXPECT a brand new unit.

Of course outside the return/exchange period things are different, and refurbish is fine.

karter
4th August 2010, 10:20 PM
I think many are missing the point.
Irrelevant if the phone has just been launched or is 6 months down the track.

Point is you don't plonk 1k down, and within 2 weeks it fails and your told your getting a refurbish.
No, not on.
It's a matter of principle. You pay the cost of a brand new unit, u EXPECT a brand new unit.

Of course outside the return/exchange period things are different, and refurbish is fine.

Being so new in the country, it should be new, but apple told me that the returns go through the same process as a new phone and "as new" phones can be sold on the retail shelf, they say honestly they can't even tell if it's new or a "as new phone"...

Exocet
4th August 2010, 10:22 PM
If it comes out of a retail box with accessories it is new. If it comes out of a cardboard box without accessories, it is refurbished.

karter
5th August 2010, 08:24 AM
Would that website that you can check imei number on be able to tell me? Does anyone know the website?
Cheers

karter
4th September 2010, 08:47 PM
alrite.
so i got my iphone 4 replaced through the advanced exchange method about 2weeks ago and it came in a black hard case, which i have been told means its a refurb unit not a brand new iphone (someone please tell me if this is incorrect?)

BUT

i know someone how just got her iphone 3GS replaced, also through the advance exchange and it came in a box that said iPhone not a hard case just a normal black hard cardboard box, and also was sitting in the black holder (which you get in a brand new box) which i have been told indicates that the iPhone is BRAND NEW. The 3GS was done through the Apple Care protection plan..

My now refurb iPhone 4 has to go back so i will be on my 3rd iphone 4 in 4 weeks..

So my question is, if you have the apple care protection through the advance exchange for the iphone, do apple see you as a more valued customer and give you a BRAND NEW iPhone instead of a refurb unit?? Or is this a total coincident?

Please if anyone has got the apple protection plan and got a new iPhone instead of a refurb, please let me know, because i am going to get the apple care protection plan but wasnt planning on getting it this soon for my iphone 4 but if it means i will get a NEW iPhone 4 when i send this one back, i am happy to get the apple care now..

Thanks heaps.

n20nine
6th September 2010, 12:30 AM
well i was at the apple store today, had to take my iphone 4 in (2 days old) as it had dust underneath the screen and screen was not responsive at times. The replacement came in a black hard box. Asked the genius and he said its not a refurb, its a new one. Mine is made in Week 29, original unit I got was made in Week 35. Anyway, looking thru the receipt they sent me, it says:

SVC,IPHONE4,32GB,BLK,AR,RPLCMNT-AUS Part Number: X661-5671
Warranty effective through Dec. 03, 2010

So its definitely a replacement, right? Not sure about the warranty part as it should state till next year Sept.

wasabi
6th September 2010, 11:51 PM
can we get back to this 5k serial thing please...

mine is 8k

TJA77
20th September 2010, 04:07 PM
I received my advanced replacement iPhone 4 today. I have applecare and the phone starts with a 5K on the serial number, I dont care if its a refurb or not. It looks brand new and performs as such. And the proximity sensor is all fixed which is all I wanted