PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3G replacement queries.

skip
3rd August 2010, 10:19 PM
I have a 25 month old 8GB 3G. Pretty good condition, but there's a crack between the mute switch and the bezel and a crack that goes back from the mute switch that's almost 1 cm long. Definitely due to a 'design fault' as I've been very careful with it and only ever dropped it twice (in a case). I've dropped my iPhone 4 more than that since last week, haha.

I've heard people can get them replaced when walking into an Apple store, but since there's no store in Adelaide I was wondering what my options were.

Will Apple replace it given the age of the device?
Where (online? phone?) can I lodge a request to get it replaced?
If I want to get it replaced at an Apple store (I'm in Melbourne twice next month) do I need proof of purchase or just ID?
Since there's no more 3Gs for sale, do you think it could/would be replaced by an 8GB 3GS (here's hoping ;) ).

Thanks.

alextrob
4th August 2010, 08:29 AM
Did you get the AppleCare extended warranty put on it?

Exocet
4th August 2010, 09:54 AM
I have a 25 month old 8GB 3G. Pretty good condition, but there's a crack between the mute switch and the bezel and a crack that goes back from the mute switch that's almost 1 cm long. Definitely due to a 'design fault' as I've been very careful with it and only ever dropped it twice (in a case). I've dropped my iPhone 4 more than that since last week, haha.

I've heard people can get them replaced when walking into an Apple store, but since there's no store in Adelaide I was wondering what my options were.

Will Apple replace it given the age of the device?
Where (online? phone?) can I lodge a request to get it replaced?
If I want to get it replaced at an Apple store (I'm in Melbourne twice next month) do I need proof of purchase or just ID?
Since there's no more 3Gs for sale, do you think it could/would be replaced by an 8GB 3GS (here's hoping ;) ).

No
Not applicable
Proof of purchase, but as it won't be replaced this is also not applicable
Refurbished 3G models are still available for warranty swaps, so no

Why won't they be swapping it? You dropped it - case or none, you dropped it and that's not Apple's fault. There is no accepted or gazetted "design flaw" or warranty extension program such as the cracking palm rests on White MacBooks. Ultimately you're complaining about the cosmetic condition of a two year old piece of consumer electronics - and further to this wear and tear is not covered under any manufacturer's warranty whether it's a telephone or a toaster.

skip
4th August 2010, 01:36 PM
Why won't they be swapping it? You dropped it - case or none, you dropped it and that's not Apple's fault. There is no accepted or gazetted "design flaw" or warranty extension program such as the cracking palm rests on White MacBooks. Ultimately you're complaining about the cosmetic condition of a two year old piece of consumer electronics - and further to this wear and tear is not covered under any manufacturer's warranty whether it's a telephone or a toaster.

It might not (or might, haven't investigated yet) be an accepted design flaw, but if that's the case, why have Apple been replacing them due to these cracks? Check out how many 'new' ones for sale (on this forum or elsewhere) have been replaced by Apple due to this apparently non-existant design flaw. Apple may or may not replace it, but what I'd love to hear is the experience of anyone who has managed to get a 3G replaced (how, when, where etc). I'm aware that age may be an issue, but with no Apple store here I didn't bother chasing it up until I got the 4. Probably should have called them ages ago.

FWIW, the dropping has nothing to do with these cracks, they both existed before the dropping, and they weren't exacerbated by the 60cm fall. There's no evidence on the device of dropping it anyway. The cosmetic condition of this two year old gadget is pretty damn good bar the cracks that occurred, as far as I'm concerned, due to bad design (acknowledged or not).